New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios

Gunner98 -> New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 1:23:32 AM)

Ok here it is:

A couple known issues at the bottom:

You’re role in this scenario is one that is seldom depicted in CMO, that of a ‘holding action’. You are not on the defensive, but your offensive actions need to be limited and have the general effect of tying the enemy down for the next 10 days. Physically, you have the capacity to restore cave-dwelling as an acceptable way of life in north Norway – but that would be counterproductive and not fit the overall plan of action for the next month. Going on the attack now would expend tremendous resources, both logistically and in the form of loses, bringing the Strike Fleet to a much weaker state when it is needed to support the amphibious operations in a couple weeks. From a Principles of War perspective; you are conducting an Economy of Effort operation to allow Admiral Falkner (and you in later scenarios) to Concentrate Force and Maintain the overall aim of the campaign.

This scenario is playable by NATO:

You are commanding a Fleet, there are initially four growing to five USN Carrier Battle Groups, augmented by two British CVs and first one then two French CVs. You also have significant logistics forces and one of your main tasks is to replenish your forces and set up for the next major operation. In total there are over 120 vessels and 650 aircraft. The scenario last for 10 days and you will receive new intelligence and further tasks each day.

Issues
1) there are only messages and tasks out for the first 7 days or so. Still chewing on how much I want to pass on in these messages.
2) for some reason, there are point events going on for surface ships crossing Phase Line Charlie early on. I've checked the events and suspect it is something wrong with the Phase line Bravo event but it all looks OK. Anyway, maybe someone can spot the reason its happening.

Enjoy

Edit - Update 7.5 loaded

AndrewJ -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 3:28:36 AM)

"...at least five Oscar II SSGNs remain."

Oh heck... Five Oscars, dozens of other subs, and I've got isolated supply ships, blind as can be, spread all over the ocean. This is not going to end well. Even if I avoid the Oscars I just know I'm going to run over some geriatric Whisky and lose a task group.

All joking aside, this looks really challenging.

Edit: Is the French CVH Jeanne d'Arc considered a CV for zone occupation purposes?

Edit 2: Is changing weather implemented in this scenario?

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 9:15:07 AM)

Ahh but Andrew, you know that I never tell the whole truth in the intelligence reports [;)]

quote:

Edit: Is the French CVH Jeanne d'Arc considered a CV for zone occupation purposes?

No. Initially I thought she should be and had it setup that way but then I reconsidered when I found a much better task for her (you get a message for that early afternoon day 1). She just isn't up to the task.

quote:

Edit 2: Is changing weather implemented in this scenario?

Yes, as is the Downed pilot SAR script and you'll find a timer in the Special Actions.

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 2:59:18 PM)

What's up with LPD 1 Raleigh. She's got a load of Sea Kings and no magazine to feed them from. I assume she's supposed to ferry them somewhere?

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 3:21:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

What's up with LPD 1 Raleigh. She's got a load of Sea Kings and no magazine to feed them from. I assume she's supposed to ferry them somewhere?

Yes you'll get a message in mid afternoon of day 1

stilesw -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 5:14:11 PM)

quote:

Yes you'll get a message in mid afternoon of day 1

Bart,
Good to know. Helo magazine was there and I was thinking that some default magazine loadout was missing.
-Wayne

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 6:37:15 PM)

Enough people are asking about this that I'll put a point in the brief. The instruction you will get is pretty detailed so I won't include it in the initial brief but will give a warning order.

I figured you had so much to play with you wouldn't even notice the Raleigh or J d'Arc - eagle eyed buggers [;)]

alghblag -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/21/2020 11:25:12 PM)

Good lord this is big, and very well thought-out. A scenario for the ages.
A few notes to start:
-Complex as this is, some pre-set missions would really help here.
-'You're task' should be spelled 'Your'
-'Maintain an ELINT patrol continuously ivo Patrol...' do you mean 'in'?
-TG Raliegh should be spelled 'Raleigh.'
-S-3s and SH-60s on the Nimitz and Groves don't have quick sorties enabled.
-The RC-135 should be named "Kickin' Ass" (I always rename it 'Kickin' Chicken)

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 12:57:59 AM)

Any ideas why my groups keep altering their course as though their land-avoiding? The water depth is several thousands of feet yet I see ships' altered dotted course as though they had to move around an obstruction. Also seeing surfaced enemy subs that seem to be negotiating some sort of shallow hazard but the water is quite deep.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 12:59:40 AM)

quote:

Any ideas why my groups keep altering their course as though their land-avoiding? The water depth is several thousands of feet yet I see ships' altered dotted course as though they had to move around an obstruction. Also seeing surfaced enemy subs that seem to be negotiating some sort of shallow hazard but the water is quite deep.

Hmm hadn't noticed that in any of my testing. No idea

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 1:04:16 AM)

Alghablag

Good points all.

I won't be changing Kickin' Ass as the (') gets messed up with Lua. There is a way around it but I tend to avoid all special characters now, more of a problem with countries that have accents in their ship names. I think the only exception I made was Jeanne d'Arc but I don't have any lua associated with her.

Oh and the pre-set missions... I just ran out of steam... will do but only limited local ASW and AEW

Thank you

AndrewJ -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 2:17:47 AM)

quote:

I've seen the same thing in other scenarios, such as BeirutDude's Bodo Express scenario (see here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4813013

I had to go back to build 1.01.11343 to get the problem to stop.

AndrewJ -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 2:23:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: alghblag

-'Maintain an ELINT patrol continuously ivo Patrol...' do you mean 'in'?

IVO = In Vicinity Of

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 2:45:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

quote:

I've seen the same thing in other scenarios, such as BeirutDude's Bodo Express scenario (see here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4813013

I had to go back to build 1.01.11343 to get the problem to stop.

I am suspicious that it's the build. I've seen other strange artifacts in this Beta, thus far.

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 2:55:21 PM)

Well, so far so good. Nightfall is a few hours off and I've got the elements of my Alpha Strike prepping for a multi-pulse attack. Lost a couple of a/c, one TARPS Tomcat on a peek at Svalbard and a Viking to a snapshot from a Kilo mast, but downed a pair of Floggers. Killed a couple of subs, too. The aforementioned Kilo and an Akula, both killed by sub-killing a/c. Put together a series of logistics patterns clustered together just south of the Bravo phase line and differentiated by the type of fuel they offer (diesel, gas, oil) as well as another for stores ships. Have several ASW missions clustered about the lager area as well. No one has tanked up yet, though, as UNREP elements are still inbound. Only unlocked 10 tankers (5 from GB and 5 from Iceland) for support as well as the singleton BUFF for limited CALCM strikes.

It's nice to see how smooth the game runs on my PC at high time compression, too.

However I am running into an error with retrieving downed air crew. I've had a SAR bird over an active crew for some time with no signal of rescue.

[image]local://upfiles/43898/E3A68773F5354A979F8885D0CDBB5F39.jpg[/image]

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 4:03:03 PM)

The Big Mesh radar SE of Svalbard is at -72 ft and was not attackable by an airstrike or TLAM, weapons capable of engaging a building. The other Big Mesh in the area was at a positive altitude and could be engaged. My assumption is that the game thinks the site is a sub?

alghblag -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 4:52:15 PM)

I seem to be repeatedly penalized for a surface ship crossing line Charlie, though I'm positive that none have.

Primarchx -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/22/2020 5:15:13 PM)

So I'm getting docked thousands of points because surface ships cross PL Charlie. I don't plot my groups all that near to that point but apparently some of the members of the groups up there wind up wandering over the line. There should be a warning so that players know they have ships out of position.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/23/2020 10:20:22 AM)

Yeah I had the same event problem pop up. Couldn't figure it out. Known issue.

quote:

Issues ...
2) for some reason, there are point events going on for surface ships crossing Phase Line Charlie early on. I've checked the events and suspect it is something wrong with the Phase line Bravo event but it all looks OK. Anyway, maybe someone can spot the reason its happening.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/23/2020 10:21:44 AM)

quote:

I've had a SAR bird over an active crew for some time with no signal of rescue.

Roger will check that.

Will also move that radar.

AndrewJ -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/24/2020 2:47:11 AM)

Well, we're a little over six hours into operations, and I can categorically state that the Intel estimate of 5 Oscars is wrong. There are now only three... [:D]

Checking the rumour mill back on the Mount Whitney, has there been any hint that high command wants us to recapture the Globus station on Svalbard intact? Or am I free to break it?

KnightHawk75 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/24/2020 4:53:31 AM)

@Gunner98
In the briefing
quote:

Maintain a CG/CGN or DDG as well as LCC 20 in Patrol Zone DELTA (10 points (ea) every 12 hours

The triggers for those are each set for 1day, not 12 hours. IDK if that a briefing typo or trigger setting typo. I changed the 4 triggers to 12hr though for my run assuming it was intended. I might reword that line to 'Maintain any CG/CGN/DDG/LCC in ...', the 'as well as' made me think no points if LCC wasn't present which isn't the case. I moved that -72ft radar to a near-by hill at 653ft 0% slope (76.40.50N, 25.23.487E), figured it was as good as any near-by that was high and actually flat.

Haven't seen Phase line Charlie issue yet, but I did move back PAPA's northern end by a couple nm to make sure there wasn't overlap and I de-grouped the starting carrier group there to make sure nobody gets out of line without me easily seeing it. My guess is that's the issue, people not looking in unit view or setting to 'show ghosted units' in a group. Then again maybe I just haven't run into the real problem yet (only a few minutes into actually playing). The reason I moved it ever so slightly south'ish by a few nm is when I first looked from a zoomed out level it looked to overlap with charlie even though upon very close zoom it wasn't, doubt 3-4nm makes any difference though.

Man this is intense, and made me bust out the pen and paper for keeping track of things,spent 4 hours just looking around,evaluating options and planning before even hitting play button. Will pass on more if needed as things progress.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ
Checking the rumour mill back on the Mount Whitney, has there been any hint that high command wants us to recapture the Globus station on Svalbard intact? Or am I free to break it?

Just don't harm the seeds in the process! [:)]

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/24/2020 8:21:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ ... Checking the rumour mill back on the Mount Whitney, has there been any hint that high command wants us to recapture the Globus station on Svalbard intact? Or am I free to break it?

Just don't harm the seeds in the process!

I think I need to beef up the info on Svalbard a bit. The Globus is fair game but there are some no-strike targets up there as well - like the 'Seed vault' [sm=00000116.gif]

KnightHawk75 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/24/2020 9:58:33 AM)

Tanker and release special actions. All the a=ScenEdit_GetScore("NATO") should probably be local a = , so that 'a' isn't hanging around as a global after they are executed.

AndrewJ -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/24/2020 3:05:37 PM)

Has anyone had trouble getting the carriers to replenish from certain ships?

For example, I'm trying to get the Vinson to replenish from TG Seattle. The Vinson can replenish from all the ships in the TG (AFS 6 USS San Diego, AO 178 USS Monongahela, AS 21 USS Suribachi), except for AOR 2 USS Milwaukee. If I try it to replenish from the Milwaukee (where the Phoenixes are) I get the following error message.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Gaxs976.jpg[/img]

All the other ships in the Vinson TG can refuel and resupply from the Milwaukee. It's only the specific combination of the Vinson and the Milwaukee that doesn't work

Excroat3 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/24/2020 5:00:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

I think I need to beef up the info on Svalbard a bit. The Globus is fair game but there are some no-strike targets up there as well - like the 'Seed vault' [sm=00000116.gif]

Just FYI, the seed vault began construction in 2006, so pretty far ahead of the Northern Fury timeline. However, starting in 1984, there was a "Nordic Gene Bank" which kept some local seeds and genetic data in an abandoned coal mine in the same area.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/24/2020 6:16:12 PM)

quote:

"Nordic Gene Bank"

OK, I'll fix that thanks.

KnightHawk75 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/25/2020 9:51:54 AM)

"3/18/1994 8:33:30 AM - [WP] K-408 is withdrawing (Reason: Primary attack weapon (SS-N-21a Sampson [S-10 Granat, 200kT Nuclear]) now exhausted). "

Assuming this is not intentional, you may want to set an override on the k-408 itself to not withdraw when primary is exhausted, or just remove the weapon record for the 21a's on the 533 single mt mount and also in the mag (both need to be gone to stop it from happening), i did the latter.

Gunner98 -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/25/2020 10:12:36 AM)

Ok that's an interesting one, great catch!. Tx

VileBeggar -> RE: New Scenario for Testing NF #41 Tour de Force (5/27/2020 9:41:47 AM)

Is there any tutorial/smaller NF scenarios where one could test doing a smaller UNREP mission before tackling this monstrosity? I've never replenished a SAG before, let alone a CVBG..

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI