What ship is this? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Ian R -> What ship is this? (6/1/2020 7:04:44 AM)

Not the Yavuz, the aircraft carrier.

[image]https://i.imgur.com/QwwdXmW.jpg[/image]

mrchuck -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 7:29:41 AM)

Please can I answer! :-)
Says right on the pic. SMS Goeben which was donated by the Kaiser to Turkey in 1914. This was instrumental in bringing Turkey into WW1 on the German side.
The British had just seized a battleship they were building on behalf of Turkey so the gift went a long way to negate a decade of patient diplomacy by the Foreign Office.
An example of tactical expediency leading to strategic misfortune, if one were ever needed :-)

She was the last operational dreadnought type until scrapped in the 70s.

JeffroK -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 7:50:38 AM)

Bearcats with an L tail code.

CV-15 Randolph, repatriated US troops from the Med, 2 trips before end of 1945.

GetAssista -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 10:51:30 AM)

What are the DDs in the background though?

Ian R -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 12:52:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

Bearcats with an L tail code.

CV-15 Randolph, repatriated US troops from the Med, 2 trips before end of 1945.

I agree, the L code was CAG-7 IIRC, and this fits with the Randolph's movements recorded in DANFS, must be it.

Not sure about the DDs, but a reasonable estimate would be the Italian built DDs acquired by Turkey in the 1930s.

Q-Ball -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 1:26:14 PM)

Wow, quick identification! It's hard to fool this group

I love this game...can anyone guess this ship?

[image]local://upfiles/6931/C00ACF4ABAD54368BA3D0F06606FA772.jpg[/image]

Ian R -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 2:57:10 PM)

The retired HMS Centurion fitted with dummy turrets etc to masquerade as the HMS Anson?

Q-Ball -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 3:39:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

The retired HMS Centurion fitted with dummy turrets etc to masquerade as the HMS Anson?

Nope....I intentionally picked a very difficult ship. If this group can get it, not sure I can come up with something harder!!!

It's harder because you can't see all the turrets and guns due to the coverings

I will at least give a timeframe; that photo was taken in 1945

BBfanboy -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 6:57:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

Nope....I intentionally picked a very difficult ship. If this group can get it, not sure I can come up with something harder!!!

That forward rangefinder appears to be in a sub-optimal position - s/b higher up for more visibility.
I think it is a Russian cruiser like Sverdlov.

Q-Ball -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 10:09:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

That forward rangefinder appears to be in a sub-optimal position - s/b higher up for more visibility.

It is not a Russian cruiser. I'll give more hints if everyone is stumped. Also, I did say this picture was taken in 1945. It was August of 1945. So it's not a Sverdlov, as those were post ww2

It's tough to get, I wouldn't get it if I didn't know!!!

BBfanboy -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 11:52:11 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is not a Russian cruiser. I'll give more hints if everyone is stumped. Also, I did say this picture was taken in 1945. It was August of 1945. So it's not a Sverdlov, as those were post ww2

It's tough to get, I wouldn't get it if I didn't know!!!

Didn't notice the 1945 comment. The widely spaced funnels suggest CL Belfast.

Q-Ball -> RE: What ship is this? (6/1/2020 11:55:56 PM)

quote:

Didn't notice the 1945 comment. The widely spaced funnels suggest CL Belfast.

You're getting slightly warmer, but not hot yet......good observation

mind_messing -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 12:10:03 AM)

quote:

ARA La Argentina.

Threw me for a bit seeing as all the Brit CL designs seem so similar...

fcooke -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 1:30:10 PM)

Visiting HMS Belfast is a good use of a couple of hours if you are on the south bank of the Thames. You can then hit the Imperial War Museum. The current version is more suited to the general population than we old geezers. But the Holocoust exhibit will likely need you to visit a pub afterwards.

fcooke -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 1:33:16 PM)

And the Tate modern is right there as well. art not my thing but the building is fascinating to me.

Q-Ball -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 4:17:41 PM)

ARA La Argetina is correct! Photo taken at New Orleans on August 8, 1945....Argentina had joined the Allies in March, so I suppose she was in New Orleans for a refit

She was a modified Arethusa-class, lengthened to support additional berthing for training cadets

warspite1 -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 4:31:32 PM)

quote:

ARA La Argetina is correct! Photo taken at New Orleans on August 8, 1945....Argentina had joined the Allies in March, so I suppose she was in New Orleans for a refit

She was a modified Arethusa-class, lengthened to support additional berthing for training cadets
warspite1

...so nothing like most Royal Navy cruisers of the time M_M [;)].... I smell a rat [:-]

GI Jive -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 4:44:55 PM)

An observation: The picture of the Randolph could not have been taken in 1945. The national insignia on the Bearcat wings include red stripes on the white horizontal bars - a revision that was not authorized until January 1947.

P.S. I never would have figured out either ship. Congrats to those who did.

mind_messing -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 5:54:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

...so nothing like most Royal Navy cruisers of the time M_M [;)].... I smell a rat [:-]

Wonderful thing, the internet [:)]

In fairness it is a good reminder to give pilots some slack when they misidentify ships.

obvert -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 6:44:04 PM)

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

ARA La Argentina

Built by the British, and does show very similar hull and turret layout. The superstructure different though.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/6BA3D1AF9FD543F58DE2DEA5EA59BEE4.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 7:01:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

ARA La Argentina

Built by the British, and does show very similar hull and turret layout. The superstructure different though.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/6BA3D1AF9FD543F58DE2DEA5EA59BEE4.jpg[/image]
warspite1

Sorry I disagree. The Arethusas were an experiment in making the smallest practical cruiser. The three turrets alone mean that the class are dissimilar to RN cruisers of the time. Only during the war did three turrets become the vogue again in order to make room for other weaponry.

mind_messing -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 7:10:47 PM)

quote:

@warspite

The floatplane is the biggest clue :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Walrus

Q-Ball -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 7:21:24 PM)

MM is right, if you blow the photo up a bit, you can make out the insignia on the wings of the Walrus. It's an anchor, unusual but it was what the Argentine Navy used on their aircraft

warspite1 -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 8:31:47 PM)

quote:

MM is right, if you blow the photo up a bit, you can make out the insignia on the wings of the Walrus. It's an anchor, unusual but it was what the Argentine Navy used on their aircraft
warspite1

I'm not saying he isn't or it isn't. I am simply saying that deducing this was La Argentina from the fact that all RN CL of the period looked similar is....er... how can I put it?..... Well I sure as hell wouldn't put money on that being the reason [:D]

mind_messing -> RE: What ship is this? (6/2/2020 10:53:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I'm not saying he isn't or it isn't. I am simply saying that deducing this was La Argentina from the fact that all RN CL of the period looked similar is....er... how can I put it?..... Well I sure as hell wouldn't put money on that being the reason [:D]

I bet you're fun at the pub quiz.

Ian R -> RE: What ship is this? (6/3/2020 2:25:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GI Jive

An observation: The picture of the Randolph could not have been taken in 1945. The national insignia on the Bearcat wings include red stripes on the white horizontal bars - a revision that was not authorized until January 1947.

CV-32 USS USS Leyte visited Istanbul with CVG-7 using the "L" tailcode.

warspite1 -> RE: What ship is this? (6/3/2020 4:05:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

WWII history doesn't tend to feature in pub quizzes [:(]

mind_messing -> RE: What ship is this? (6/3/2020 8:27:58 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

WWII history doesn't tend to feature in pub quizzes [:(]

I ended up in an argument with the host of a pub quiz that "Siam" was an acceptable response to countries with just 4 letters in their name. AE wouldn't lie to me.

JeffroK -> RE: What ship is this? (6/3/2020 9:04:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GI Jive

Good point, but I dont see Leyte going to the Med until too late, assuming the date on the photo is correct. I have seen a photo of Randolph with a front on photo of a Bearcat with a small "20" on the front of the cowling, closest I could get. (And I bet there were hundreds with the same markings)
There are similar photos of Yavuz at the time of the visit by Missouri but no CV are mentioned in the TF.

fcooke -> RE: What ship is this? (6/3/2020 4:21:51 PM)

Jeff - I took 5 years of Latin and cannot for the life of me figure out what your tag line says......

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI