Civ GOTM (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire

eddieballgame -> Civ GOTM (6/11/2020 11:27:02 PM)

This, wonderful, game strikes me as a perfect candidate for a 'Civ like' Game of the Month competition.
I am sure, many here (at least us older guys) are familiar & have participated in that format.
That format is different than just sharing generated planet files, as everyone would be subject to the identical game settings, leading up to the screen that allows for creating a 'saved file'.
Thoughts?

KingHalford -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 12:44:21 AM)

Do it

Culthrasa -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 6:44:51 AM)

THere is a "last generated planet" save now.. It starts after generation but before naming your empire.. So it is possible to all start with the same planet and still be "The Grand Pohaa" if you want that to be your title :)

LuciusSulla -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 8:10:56 AM)

Probably should use the first turn save instead of the last generated planet save, unless you allow players to reroll their start.

The same planet save could result in different parties, leaders, cult. Leader potential/ideology could greatly impact the game.

eddieballgame -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 8:21:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuciusSulla

Probably should use the first turn save instead of the last generated planet save, unless you allow players to reroll their start.

The same planet save could result in different parties, leaders, cult. Leader potential/ideology could greatly impact the game.

Yes, 'the 1st turn save' is the format per the 'Civ GOTM'.
This ensures everyone has the identical start.
Of course, in-game 'rng' will differ as the games progress, based on different decisions, movement, etc.

Culthrasa -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 9:32:51 AM)

quote:

But isn't that part of the game itself? The choices you make? Why take away the first big choice a player makes?

GodwinW -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 9:48:23 AM)

Very good idea!
Would love to see how the stories diverge!

Culthrasa, because it's a competition and you want the starting line to be a line, not a random area ;)

eddieballgame -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 5:50:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culthrasa

quote:

But isn't that part of the game itself? The choices you make? Why take away the first big choice a player makes?

There is nothing wrong with doing it this way, & some might prefer it.
However, in the spirit of the 'GOTM' format, everyone starting with identical leaders & STARTING POSITIONS (this is key) is also a viable way to test everyone's choices as the game progresses.
This, also, makes for sharing each other's stories per their successes & failures more interesting, as all can relate to each other's plights per the identical surroundings at the beginning.

Jdane -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 5:54:25 PM)

It will probably make more obvious the prevalence of RNG in the course of events, but it sure should be interesting to see nonetheless.

Culthrasa -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 5:58:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culthrasa

quote:

There is nothing wrong with doing it this way, & some might prefer it.
However, in the spirit of the 'GOTM' format, everyone starting with identical leaders & STARTING POSITIONS (this is key) is also a viable way to test everyone's choices as the game progresses.
This, also, makes for sharing each other's stories per their successes & failures more interesting, as all can relate to each other's plights per the identical surroundings at the beginning.

OKe, fair point :) I haven't tried it but redoing the same planet gives different start locations?

eddieballgame -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 7:16:55 PM)

quote:

OKe, fair point :) I haven't tried it but redoing the same planet gives different start locations?

I am not sure about that; but if it did, then sharing the 'plant file' would work also.
Of course, the initial decisions per your leader would be subject to being different, which is fine.
The most important part is the starting position.

GodwinW -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/12/2020 10:32:15 PM)

This is such a good idea. What difficulty is it going to be on?
Are you organizing it eddieballgame?

eddieballgame -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/13/2020 2:41:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

This is such a good idea. What difficulty is it going to be on?
Are you organizing it eddieballgame?

Per the 'difficulty setting', that could be a voters choice or set to beginner to allow everyone a fair & fun experience. [:)]
Per the organization of this format, it is possible I could do so.
One question is what to use as the source forum per this.
I suppose the Matrix forum could be the beginning home, if that were allowed.

Geezerone -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/13/2020 3:03:29 AM)

The planet gen save DOES have the same starting location. In fact I believe that all the Regimes and units are already placed as well. I only reloaded the starting save once to see what would change and only my people seems to change (plus your empire name and starting profile groups as you pick those too). Also, be aware the game version number is fixed in the save too; so with all the changes happening many of the "need to restart to apply" fixes/changes will not be included if the save file is too old.

eddieballgame -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/13/2020 3:21:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Geezerone

The planet gen save DOES have the same starting location. In fact I believe that all the Regimes and units are already placed as well. I only reloaded the starting save once to see what would change and only my people seems to change (plus your empire name and starting profile groups as you pick those too). Also, be aware the game version number is fixed in the save too; so with all the changes happening many of the "need to restart to apply" fixes/changes will not be included if the save file is too old.

Thanks for verifying the 'start positions are the same' query.
I, also, checked via multiple loads & that does appear to be the case.

Geezerone -> RE: Civ GOTM (6/13/2020 12:48:19 PM)

When you decide to start this GOTM session, I suggest providing a screen capture of the planet generation summary page. Also, if there is life on this world a screen capture of the Biosphere Auxiliary page that shows the stats of the various plants and animals (particularly the "s", "o", and "d" stats) as this info does not seem to be included in the in-game help tab summary.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI