Planet Generation: Geology Report (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback

zgrssd -> Planet Generation: Geology Report (6/30/2020 10:36:37 PM)

The Geology report is not giving nearly enough/the right information. Here is what I think it needs:

Mountains:
Should be split into high and low mountain.
Some other hard terrain like sand dunes should also be counted - if that is possible. Of course, forrests are a problem.

Water:

Problem 1: You only tell us how much Ocean Water there is. Lakes can just as well provide rain. Plus providing fresh water and being just about as hindering as the oceans. "Surface Water" could be a better term, that can include lakes and oceans equally.

Problem 2: The water can be very heavily localized. It could be that all the water is basically on 1/4 of the planet. Meaning that roughly only 1/2 of the planet has actually farmable land. The rest can be a giant desert.
It is not so much about how much rain there is, but how well it is distributed.
A "Arid" Hex count for everything to dry for hosting grass would be helpfull.

Temperature:
Water can be in regions so cold, it is all frozen over. Wich prohibits producing rain.
You already know the temperatures and wich body of water is salty. So it should be relatively easy to figure out.
Ideally this would also be substracted from "Surface Water".

If you can not actually do it preciesly before Biology, at least give us a estimate.

GodwinW -> RE: Planet Generation: Geology Report (7/1/2020 12:41:58 AM)

This is why I toggle the option to 'complete FoW after terrain generation', so that I can check the map itself and see if it looks cool/fun to me.

Try it out :)

zgrssd -> RE: Planet Generation: Geology Report (7/1/2020 2:48:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

This is why I toggle the option to 'complete FoW after terrain generation', so that I can check the map itself and see if it looks cool/fun to me.

I run only with partial fog of war.

Malevolence -> RE: Planet Generation: Geology Report (7/1/2020 3:58:11 AM)

It doesn't show you the map during planet creation?

GodwinW -> RE: Planet Generation: Geology Report (7/1/2020 11:25:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

I run only with partial fog of war.

Well then, maybe you didn't know you can move the map during the generation phase? Click to close the planet generation tab and you can inspect the map in detail.

Atros -> RE: Planet Generation: Geology Report (7/1/2020 11:55:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The Geology report is not giving nearly enough/the right information. Here is what I think it needs:

Mountains:
Should be split into high and low mountain.
Some other hard terrain like sand dunes should also be counted - if that is possible. Of course, forrests are a problem.

Water:

Problem 1: You only tell us how much Ocean Water there is. Lakes can just as well provide rain. Plus providing fresh water and being just about as hindering as the oceans. "Surface Water" could be a better term, that can include lakes and oceans equally.

Problem 2: The water can be very heavily localized. It could be that all the water is basically on 1/4 of the planet. Meaning that roughly only 1/2 of the planet has actually farmable land. The rest can be a giant desert.
It is not so much about how much rain there is, but how well it is distributed.
A "Arid" Hex count for everything to dry for hosting grass would be helpfull.

Temperature:
Water can be in regions so cold, it is all frozen over. Wich prohibits producing rain.
You already know the temperatures and wich body of water is salty. So it should be relatively easy to figure out.
Ideally this would also be substracted from "Surface Water".

If you can not actually do it preciesly before Biology, at least give us a estimate.

I agree on the water part that there should be more options to affect the water distribution.

On the physical side, generally other water bodies than oceans have minimal effect on rains, as the vaporization rate is usually much smaller on anything else than oceans and seas for lower overall volume of water and the vaporization surface area. Also the sweet water deposits tend to mainly form where it rains most, which is downwind from the oceans (winds tend to most commonly blow planetary rotation direction near equator and opposite direction everywhere else, same as water currents. See Coriolis effect). Naturally there can be planetary traits like mountains and "pressure magnets" like large seas that affect the wind directions locally, but Coriolis tends to be the main deciding factor in large scale air movement.

Also there is physical effect known as sublimation, which causes water on solid form (ice/snow) to instantly turn into gaseous form, which does contribute to rain. This is the basic reason why there can be blizzards and snow-rain on planets that are covered with ice. Because the sublimation takes more energy than vaporization, it generally takes more time for rain clouds to form in icy settings than around open water seas.

Anyways, personally my favorite settings are planets where are great deserts with some farming oasis' around the main water bodies that everybody is fighting over.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI