Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios

swdw -> Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/9/2020 2:32:29 PM)

Want to find this script or event

This is the one that causes the loss of the Arizona and 2 other BB's after war starts between US and Japan. Want to see if it can be modified.

Why? I just had the US go to 100% belligerence in October of 41 so I declared war on Japan. I'd positioned the Pearl fleet because my subs caught the Japanese fleet moving on the Marshalls.

Next thing I know. The 3 BB's are gone. No attacks on them by the Japanese, they weren't in any harbor. Just an announcement they were sunk. Left the rest of the fleet hanging and the JPN moved in with their surface ships and started wreaking havoc on the cruisers and DD's abandoned by the disappearance of the US BB's.

Seriously? They were sunk at Pearl because of a surprise attack. had the US declared war in real life and the BB's were part of a fleet including carriers, this would not have happened.

Jeesh. A little common sense needs to be added. Otherwise, all the BB's are is window dressing.

Elessar2 -> RE: Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/10/2020 1:26:30 AM)

I dislike these automatic attacks where no actual attacking units are involved. Now, I wasn't aware of this specific event-when they declared on me as the US, the AI didn't send its carriers to attack Pearl Harbor, and I was able to sail all of the spawning BB's to the West coast for refits.

These are the other automatic scripted attacks which kind of offend my sensibilities:

* Automatic Norway & Denmark invasions. Had no issues running the invasion manually in earlier editions of the series...
* If Sevastopol remains in Russian hands I've seen some automatic bombing runs against the Ploesti oilfields
* The Taranto raid. The LOL aspect of that one is that an actual British CV will usually do more damage against any ship in the Taranto harbor than the event will. Easy enuf to sail one over there yourself in any event.
* IIRC I also saw some scripted Berlin bombing runs.
* There's also some special forces scripts which damage French ports
* Last but certainly not least would be the Malta supply events (as well as the Crete ones, going both ways). But if you want to pork Axis supply in North Africa yourself, you can either bomb the ports or blockade them with the Royal Navy. If I can make this idea work, for my 20K map I may create a hybrid air/garrison unit out of the maritime bomber unit, that will basically be a jack-of-all-trades-master of none, but you could use it to bomb ports.

BillRunacre -> RE: Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/11/2020 4:00:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: swdw

Want to find this script or event

This is the one that causes the loss of the Arizona and 2 other BB's after war starts between US and Japan. Want to see if it can be modified.

Why? I just had the US go to 100% belligerence in October of 41 so I declared war on Japan. I'd positioned the Pearl fleet because my subs caught the Japanese fleet moving on the Marshalls.

Next thing I know. The 3 BB's are gone. No attacks on them by the Japanese, they weren't in any harbor. Just an announcement they were sunk. Left the rest of the fleet hanging and the JPN moved in with their surface ships and started wreaking havoc on the cruisers and DD's abandoned by the disappearance of the US BB's.

Seriously? They were sunk at Pearl because of a surprise attack. had the US declared war in real life and the BB's were part of a fleet including carriers, this would not have happened.

Jeesh. A little common sense needs to be added. Otherwise, all the BB's are is window dressing.

There is no script of this type in any official Strategic Command campaign, and this therefore can only happen as a result of enemy attack.

Could it be that at the top right of the Options screen under Artificial Intelligence the button for Show Moves/Combat is unticked?

BillRunacre -> RE: Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/11/2020 4:02:33 PM)

quote:

* If Sevastopol remains in Russian hands I've seen some automatic bombing runs against the Ploesti oilfields
* IIRC I also saw some scripted Berlin bombing runs.

There are no scripts of this type in any official Strategic Command campaign either.

Scripted bombing runs aren't even possible, they can be simulated using Supply scripts but that's not something I have added.

Could it be that you've seen these in a mod, as I recall you have been playing one recently?

Elessar2 -> RE: Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/11/2020 8:42:29 PM)

Yeah, I realize that now (it's from one of Crispy's campaigns, but I've ragged on him in his threads about it anyway). I just find it to be lazy scenario design.

swdw -> RE: Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/12/2020 1:58:56 PM)

"Could it be that at the top right of the Options screen under Artificial Intelligence the button for Show Moves/Combat is unticked?"

Nope watched the combat when it was the AI's turn. Saw combat everywhere else, but zero regarding the BB's. No air strikes, no sub attacks, they just were gone.

Hence I thought it was a script.

BillRunacre -> RE: Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/13/2020 12:54:32 PM)

I don't know then, as it's just not something that we have happen in the official campaigns. If you're able to recreate it then we would of course be interested to see a saved turn.

swdw -> RE: Script / Event name for Loss of BB's by US (Pearl Harbor) (7/17/2020 11:50:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

I don't know then, as it's just not something that we have happen in the official campaigns. If you're able to recreate it then we would of course be interested to see a saved turn.

Being new to the game and not realizing it wasn't a script of some type, I didn't have it saved. Duplicating this would be difficult because of the randomizing of the effects of diplomacy.

BTW, I do appreciate the replies from everyone.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI