Steel Panthers World At War v6.0 The Release....What Do You Think! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

David Heath -> Steel Panthers World At War v6.0 The Release....What Do You Think! (7/4/2001 9:02:00 AM)

Ok Guys By now everyone knows that SPWaW v6.0 has been released! What we are looking for here is ideas... a lot which will be used in Combat Leader and / or a patch. Now first big change is that the Machine Guns are much more deadly and how they should be. The troops are just as tough... just they die when they get hit. Crews not also seem to act how they should. These are our views... what do you think. P.S. please report any bugs, ideas, problems etc... as always.

Warrior -> (7/4/2001 9:08:00 AM)

So far, so good. I think this is the ultimate SPWaW version.

Waylander -> (7/4/2001 9:10:00 AM)

Ver 6.0 already!!. Geez, and I am still waiting for my CD of version 5 :D

Don -> (7/4/2001 9:15:00 AM)

Just played one of the tutorials and the gameplay was great! For once a pinned enemy squad didn't annihilate my MG suqad! :D So far I like it alot!!!! :eek:

AJH -> (7/4/2001 9:23:00 AM)

Outstanding...the balance seems just right at last. In v5.3 it was just a tad too hard to get kills on guns and infantry (with any weapon). Kudos to all those at Matrix who have given so much to the grognard community. Also, congrats on the Charley. They finally gave one to a deserving company.

troopie -> (7/4/2001 9:33:00 AM)

Fabulous! I'm playing a save where KAR and Armed Settlers are defending against a German Armoured attack. The KAR are acting like KAR; good with rifles and Vickers-Berthier LMGs, poor against tanks. The German MG-42s are devastating, the rifles not so. Stick a fork in it. It's done. troopie

Huffy -> (7/4/2001 9:38:00 AM)

Waylander...I too am waiting ..for my CD....but I am just watching and learning...and observing. It will come in it's time... Take care ... Huffy

Alby -> (7/4/2001 10:00:00 AM)

I seem to be seeing more and more online bugs, it is becoming almost unplayable. Almost evrygame I start, the other guys units have crazy weapons. after a save and relaaod, all seems normal for a few turns then it goes downhill again. Played online beach assualt, also recently and the computer forgot half the landing craft, and placed 4.5 inch rockets in the middle of the ocean, which my opponent said showed up as naval guns in his buy list. Also am getting a second "magic" HQ unit evrygame online. Overall i am Happy with 6.0 as it seems Ok with PBEM games, Now if all these online bugs could be worked out ;) [ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ] [ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Mark Ezra -> (7/4/2001 10:05:00 AM)

I just finished defending Sebeilta against the 10 oanz Div. It played like a dream come true. MG's are now the type of tool they should be. Infantry fough well, crews didn't act like supermen at all. I just kept hearing Fred Astaire over the din of battle..."Heaven...I'm in Heaven"....LOL

tracer -> (7/4/2001 11:32:00 AM)

Applied the 6.0 patch, restarted, and went to delete my steel.prf....which wasn't there! Good thinking having the patch delete the steel.prf file from the previous install automatically; guess you were getting tired of typing 'delete steel.prf' replies :D

m10bob -> (7/4/2001 12:00:00 PM)

o.k...as long as you're asking what to possibly add,and not asking for what's wrong,this is my 2 cents....flares and improved visibility at night from burning objects,(or better illumination within so many hexes of the fire),and those spotter planes..(American regimental combat teams had their own with their inherent arty)..both Rommel and Patton were known for spotting targets themselves..i started using spotter planes 2 years ago..had to "invent" a weapon or the thing would not fly..gave the crew a "honeybucket" to dump..made the size "0" or it was too easy to hit..speed was 3..to keep the computer from buying nothing but them,i made them inherent with arty(as it should be)and had to fix the cost same as a fighter so there was no cost advantage in the computer buying them..the ver 6 patch is incredible..just in time for the 4th............YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :)

BruceAZ -> (7/4/2001 12:01:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Ok Guys These are our views... what do you think.
So far so good. I have tried them on both Marine and Japanese and they both did well. I would suggest you turn the sound up for the Banzai or melee as I could barely hear it. Bruce Semper Fi

crazyivan -> (7/4/2001 12:59:00 PM)

just a short word befor i play do i have to do a complete reinstall of v5 then add the pacthes or can i just install v6 as on the site it siad v5.2-6 i have v5.3 :eek:

David Heath -> (7/4/2001 1:02:00 PM)

Hi You must have installed SPWaW up to v5.2 you do not need v5.3 to go to v6.0

crazyivan -> (7/4/2001 1:10:00 PM)

thanks but i have already installed 5.3

Spellbinder -> (7/4/2001 1:42:00 PM)

Hi Matrix, you are Number 1!!! :cool: Just downloaded and installed - haven't tried it yet, but am eager :D Can it be that you new updates delete the steel.prf now automatically?? :eek: Great Gotta Love it - and you guys :o Ciao Klaus aka Spellbinder

crazyivan -> (7/4/2001 1:59:00 PM)

i have as posted v5.3 will it be ok to install v6

BomBeer -> (7/4/2001 2:51:00 PM)

quote:

i have as posted v5.3 will it be ok to install v6
I had V5.3 also. V6 installed fine and runs fine too.

crazyivan -> (7/4/2001 4:41:00 PM)

Well first and formost,thanks matrix team for your fast and sneaky response to our calls of" to tough can't kill them blasted foot troops" etc etc..... ;),i would like to have my 4 cents worth on the new v6. As of v5.2 through to v6 including playing v5.3 i have been on the same generated campaign,using USA as my core force.through the hardships of next to no kills vs lots of kills(iev5.1)you now have in v6 a almost perfect balance of what i would call infantry fire power. mgs,mmgs and hmgs all are deadly at there ideal ranges and not only do they show a tremendous kill rate that to my thoughts and observations are accurate when troops are caught on the hop out in the open,but the hit rate drops well down to realistic leveals when infantry seek good cover and move alot slower as well. the fire liad down by exp vs inexp rifle and mg groups also display an exiting and true to nature effect on the enemy.You have gotten the suppresion down to a fine art and the KIAs in squads now have alot more effect on the surroundng terrian and firing units stance and exp.It's good to see a marked differance in fire effects as your squads improve over several battles. AS i have siad terrian plays a more greater roll than before house to house fhighting and jungle warfare all take on the roll of suppres then mele like crazy in order to effect a foothold. genraly the game has taken on a more live and challanging form its not only fun to mop up small units that have been bombarded and machineguned by your troops as they press forward but the mele and overun reflect the importance of combined arms and the need to supress the enemy before rolling right over him with blizgreig tactics and banzi charges. At this stage i would from the little i have played of v6 change one thing,a little more chance of a kill for the sniper would round the whole infantry and light arms of to be near perfect.as a former grunt myself of only 4 years i did some trianing as a sniper because i was considered pretty good by my platton commander.its hard even with trianing to hit a moving target i know,but saying that they are trianed to do just that and i fell should previal better than they do. any way enough banter,one hell of a top game guys you can give your self's a big pat on the back well done and take a break....THATS AN ORDER :cool: :D best whishes for your health and familys take time out to rest so you can keep being better than the best.

BigDuke66 -> (7/4/2001 6:50:00 PM)

Until now I'm very pleased with 6.0 and I start shouting when there is a Problem.

Fabio Prado -> (7/4/2001 7:34:00 PM)

As for SPWAW v6.0, it is the BEST SPWAW EVER! As for new features to include in Combat Leader, I will like to suggest one more time the possibility of reverse movement for tracked vehicles. It is an essential maneuver for tanks. Congratulations to all MATRIX Team for a job well done, and a Happy Fourth of July for all! Fab

Lazarus -> (7/4/2001 8:17:00 PM)

are W@W compatible with W@W 5.3 ?? ciao!

General Mayhem -> (7/4/2001 8:23:00 PM)

SMG's are bit too powerful for my taste. I know they should be more effective, but still I think they are far too fool proof way to hit now. I just shot from elevated position at 3 hex range a Japanese crew using MMG. I had only two grunts at that mmg crew and I hit twice with SMGs, and only once with MMG. The crew was on clearing. And infantry toughess was on 150 on preferences. Seem to reinforce what I discovered earlier. I'm frighten to think what an elite infantry with SMG's can do now.

Merlin -> (7/4/2001 8:32:00 PM)

Bugs? ok, I have one, but not sure it's bug. Like Mr. Vebber said, I have to put the weather to 1 to get airsections, great idea. But Romania, when I put weather 1 and air sections are on default they never get the Strike Element button on the buy screen, 0 out of 25 games, is it possible that I'm not lucky? ;) Anyway Matrix does a nice job!!! SPWAW, WIR, PACWAR kick!!! Are you people from Matrix humans? :D

DoubleDeuce -> (7/4/2001 8:38:00 PM)

When did this happen? Geez, I take a day off from the forum to get some much needed sleep and what happens? A new patch/update. You guys are too much. Going off to download it! You might not see me for a couple days.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/4/2001 8:48:00 PM)

Hmmmmm I think its my duty to tell the Matrix staff about this wonderful creature. Its called a woman. Now I am sure you have seen them. Although with all this upgrading (at a rate that defies the imagination), I am wondering if you have lost track of what they are for. I am pleased beyond words to get yet another tweak in my favourite game. But I am worried about the health of my friends at Matrix. So please say something to assure us players out here, that you fine fellows at Matrix are looking after yourselves, ok.

Panzer Capta -> (7/4/2001 9:10:00 PM)

Just an observation with limited play using 6.0: I started the Merrills Mauraders scenerio playing with version 5.3. It was a very crueling battle with slow and ddifficult progress for both sides. I then switched to 6.0 and continued the scenerio. The amount of casualties for both sides dramatically increased......especially in favour of the USMC. I assume this is the consequence of the upgrade. How does one tweak the preferences to make the infantry units a bit more difficult for one side.....or for both sides. I was simply using the default settings in preferences. Panzer Captain

General Mayhem -> (7/4/2001 9:36:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Panzer Captain: Just an observation with limited play using 6.0: I started the Merrills Mauraders scenerio playing with version 5.3. It was a very crueling battle with slow and ddifficult progress for both sides. I then switched to 6.0 and continued the scenerio. The amount of casualties for both sides dramatically increased......especially in favour of the USMC. I assume this is the consequence of the upgrade. How does one tweak the preferences to make the infantry units a bit more difficult for one side.....or for both sides. I was simply using the default settings in preferences. Panzer Captain
You can't do much. It's not more as linear as was with 5.3. Some weapons are more potent than before. Relation between weapons has changed. Try to put on preferences infantry toughes above 130+. I use 140-150. To be realistic, change both sides, but that's up to of course. Best kills you get with SMGs/LGMs, next best thing is infantry. That's why USMC gets so much kills, because your troops propably are both elite and they have a more faster fire rate weapons than a rifle. I started US vs Germans, and their LMG's combined to better experience ripped my units apart. In a situation where before had been only a slight advantage to Germans. :( But forget MMG's, even maybe HMG's. They're now quite hopeless. Current play system favores SMG and LMG's, infantry units with them have huge advantage over other forms. Even bigger if they're elite. Rifles are also pretty good. Even BAR rifles seem to score kills now quite well. And I'm talking about settings of infantry toughness of 140. I just tried to shoot with three 0.30 mmg's advancing Japanese infantry on clearing. Ranges were from 9-3 hexes. Not much hope. My 2 men MMG on a hill had on range 4 greater change getting hit by japanese rifle fire than two 12 men japanese squads by mmg fire. [ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: General Mayhem ]

Rhodan -> (7/4/2001 10:04:00 PM)

I just started the Normandy Gold campaign again and...well...wow! Infantry shoot outs have become a spectacle to behold, especially in the towns, which have literally turned to fighting for every building, holding your breath and praying that next house across the street does not have a MG squad hidden in it. City fighting has turned far more vicious , much more dynamic and has a definite sense of suspense with every move you make. Really great job guys! :)

parusski -> (7/4/2001 10:09:00 PM)

I am in love with 6.0. I find this version to be the most "balanced" yet. I played the game for five hours last night, until 1:15 a.m.(my wife was annoyed). Keep up the great work folks.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI