RE: T10 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports

eskuche -> RE: T10 (9/2/2020 12:54:41 AM)

IMHO Sevastopol in '41 is a trap. You somehow need to shift all of your heavy artillery there to take out not only two level 4 forts but also a level 5 fort. I highly doubt this is doable even by turn 17 and with 2 full corps (not to mention the AP spent on transferring siege, or, even worse, waiting for them to auto shuffle up and split it between Leningrad and Sevastopol. They Soviet also will probably be able to (or at least threaten to) drive you back to the Ishun crossing in winter, at which point level 3 forts on the crossings will serve you well. You do get more time in this case to build them, but two full german corps could probably help the AGC or AGN push more.

tyronec -> T11. (9/6/2020 2:14:16 PM)

quote:

IMHO Sevastopol in '41 is a trap. You somehow need to shift all of your heavy artillery there to take out not only two level 4 forts but also a level 5 fort. I highly doubt this is doable even by turn 17 and with 2 full corps (not to mention the AP spent on transferring siege, or, even worse, waiting for them to auto shuffle up and split it between Leningrad and Sevastopol. They Soviet also will probably be able to (or at least threaten to) drive you back to the Ishun crossing in winter, at which point level 3 forts on the crossings will serve you well. You do get more time in this case to build them, but two full german corps could probably help the AGC or AGN push more.

Seeing more Soviets defending Sevastapol have sent another Corps down. Will try and take it before the blizzard. Would be a poor strategy to try and change direction now so will just try and see it through.
AGN has enough infantry, there is not enough space to get more fighting effectively. AGC could certainly do with more troops, both sides are thin on the ground.

T11.
AGN. Fair progress, the main force take 7 hexes and below L. Ilmen get across the river.

AGC. Soviets had surrounded a lot of my incursion from last turn. Have to rout a few of them away and just pocket a couple. Quiet turn, building up fuel for next move.

AGS. Panzers rest, Infantry push on another couple of hexes.
Take one hex in the Crimea.

I think S-T missed a trick last turn, there was a partisan unit that looks like it could have cut my main rail line but instead did one hex that wasn’t critical. Would have trashed AGS for a turn or two.
It is the one random factor that is HUGE, a couple of lucky partisans could swing a whole game if it were tight. Last game I had AGC out of supplies for three turns, cost a lot of impetus.

[image]local://upfiles/52296/32C39C77C7D2468F931AE9C7DA19DBB8.jpg[/image]

Shupov -> RE: T11. (9/6/2020 10:34:11 PM)

It may be too early in your game to tell, but is the trucks bug in 1.12 affecting your game play? It looks like trucks are no longer a factor. Are you more likely to use HQBU in this version knowing truck supply won't be an issue?

tyronec -> T12 (9/24/2020 9:13:46 AM)

quote:

It may be too early in your game to tell, but is the trucks bug in 1.12 affecting your game play? It looks like trucks are no longer a factor. Are you more likely to use HQBU in this version knowing truck supply won't be an issue?

I have been using HQBU freely and have seen no truck problems.

T12.
AGN grinds forwards. Could get across the river next turn if I am lucky. Sending one Panzer Corps south. Missed out on my advance below the Ilmen thanks to a couple of lost battles.

AGC. Pocket two hexes of units and advance 3 hexes. Could be borderline for it to hold, am not optimistic.

AGS. Soviets left a gap in their line and make two pockets with Panzers without much combat. Am hoping they don’t have too much to counter attack with.

Sevastapol. Got a lucky attack and took down a ‘4’ fort in one go. Two more hexes left, think I should get them in the Snow or maybe by T17 if I get a few more attacks like this one !

15 units pocketed, by far my best turn since the beginning of the game.

[image]local://upfiles/52296/A43E593F52434C1EAFDC4C2F778AE5F3.jpg[/image]

This game is over. S-T reported that he was having problems with his PC and hoped to be able to continue in December. I don't have any other WITE1 games on the go and am not keen on picking up again after 3 months.

Clearly the result is by no means certain and either side could still win.
My goals for '41 were to take Lenningrad, Moscow, Rostov & river bend, Sevastapol. Moscow is still an open question, the others look safe.

Our house rules on the air war are IMO an improvement, it makes the game playable and certainly for '41 makes the air war feel more historical to me. How it would pan out into the later war is an open question and then there is the issue of play balance.

redrum68 -> RE: T12 (9/25/2020 2:25:24 AM)

Nice turn and pockets. Sad to see the game either over or long term break. What's the OOB at this point?

tyronec -> RE: T12 (9/25/2020 8:37:13 AM)

quote:

Nice turn and pockets. Sad to see the game either over or long term break. What's the OOB at this point?

I haven't had access to it for a couple of weeks now. Soviet were a bit stronger than in the Brian game, Axis about the same. Mid war Axis are going to have no shortage manpower as was OK in the game with Brian and that was with losing 2.5k or so a turn to bombing which was not going to happen here due to our house rules on unit bombing.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI