Retreat into dunes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

trutyjoh -> Retreat into dunes (7/29/2020 8:12:44 PM)

Playing Sinai 67... ran into a situation that might be a bug..
- Isreal attack and UAR forces retreat into sand dunes (UAR are leg infantry) then Israeli Para's can't move into dunes to attack (aren't they leg infantry?
- UAR AA units attacked and forced to retreat ... goes into dunes . They are not leg units...
-Isreal armored units somehow got into a sand hex surrounded by dunes hexes ... can't move out...

Am i missing something or is there a glitch...

[image]local://upfiles/70992/C851C5E94E394C6EBCB3734E0F44E30D.jpg[/image]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Retreat into dunes (7/29/2020 9:28:20 PM)

A unit's movement type is determined by equipment, not unit icon. So, you have to check the unit report to be sure of the movement type. Nevertheless, even a foot unit may only move into a dunes hex if it has enough MPs to do so - something else to check. And, yes, it is possible to get trapped in a sand hex surrounded by dunes hexes - if the unit was in the dunes via a road. Designers can address this via road spurs, though.

trutyjoh -> RE: Retreat into dunes (7/29/2020 9:34:16 PM)

So there is the trapped unit. No roads... a wadi inmate dune hex ... but not in the direction of the sand hex unit is trapped in...

[image]local://upfiles/70992/4628B599DC23454DBA50A3AD8A0CC0B5.jpg[/image]

sstevens06 -> RE: Retreat into dunes (7/30/2020 12:19:36 AM)

Original designer here. I developed the Sinai 1967 scenario with TOAW III and the behavior you describe did not occur. In the earlier version, only "leg" infantry could move into and through dune hexes; no other unit types could enter or move through dune hexes.

Stopped developing scenarios for TOAW many years ago - got too busy with work and family. I know significant changes were made to the game engine since I developed this scenario.

I think this scenario will need to be migrated to TOAW IV, and probably require some modifications along the way. Hope someone can help.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Retreat into dunes (7/30/2020 1:46:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sstevens06

I think this scenario will need to be migrated to TOAW IV, and probably require some modifications along the way. Hope someone can help.

This statement brings up an issue w/ TOAWIV that has been bugging me:

This Sinai scene is included w/ IV, says in scene descrip that it was designed in III ....

and this is the case with almost EVERY scene.....,.
so, were ANY of the "III" scenes that came w/ IV, ever "cnverted" to IV??

if not, well ...... that kind of defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it.......

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Retreat into dunes (7/30/2020 2:04:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: trutyjoh

So there is the trapped unit. No roads... a wadi inmate dune hex ... but not in the direction of the sand hex unit is trapped in...

[image]local://upfiles/70992/4628B599DC23454DBA50A3AD8A0CC0B5.jpg[/image]

Right. The motor unit moves into the dune via the road. Then it can move into the sand via normal movement. Then it can't get out.

As I said, the designer could have addressed this via extending the road to the edge of the dune hex - leaving a way out.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Retreat into dunes (7/30/2020 2:05:11 AM)

quote:

Original designer here. I developed the Sinai 1967 scenario with TOAW III and the behavior you describe did not occur. In the earlier version, only "leg" infantry could move into and through dune hexes; no other unit types could enter or move through dune hexes.

Stopped developing scenarios for TOAW many years ago - got too busy with work and family. I know significant changes were made to the game engine since I developed this scenario.

There is no change in this from III to IV. Everything he's describing could have happened in III.

sstevens06 -> RE: Retreat into dunes (7/30/2020 2:18:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

There is no change in this from III to IV. Everything he's describing could have happened in III.

Interesting, no doubt you are correct.

I freely admit spending way more time researching & designing than playtesting this scenario. Wish I had time to fix this. Hopefully a younger enthusiast can take this scenario and run with it! [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI