OT: WitP:AE 3 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Bulldog61 -> OT: WitP:AE 3 (7/31/2020 9:48:23 PM)

Just curious are there any plans to upgrade this? No seeing anything in forum searches, perhaps I'm not using the right criteria. Thanks!

Shellshock -> RE: WITPAE 3 (7/31/2020 10:04:28 PM)

In a single word. No.

Nomad -> RE: WITPAE 3 (7/31/2020 10:06:38 PM)

Only if you do it. [:)]

Anachro -> RE: WITPAE 3 (7/31/2020 10:07:01 PM)

There are no plans to make a new version and I doubt there ever will be. GG himself said he was crazy to ever make the original. The team required also needs to not just be technically competent, but passionate and knowledgeable of the history. People that fit both those categories are dwindling.

However, for something both incredibly interesting and modern coming our way, look up Task Force Admiral.

Evoken -> RE: WITPAE 3 (7/31/2020 11:03:23 PM)

My dream would be Witp converted to War in the West engine ; Air interceptions on the way to target , simple 1 click attacks with LCU's , large area air directives [X(] . But i would hope for keeping 1 day turns and naval gameplay

Shellshock -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 2:04:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

My dream would be Witp converted to War in the West engine ; Air interceptions on the way to target , simple 1 click attacks with LCU's , large area air directives [X(] . But i would hope for keeping 1 day turns and naval gameplay

My dream version would feature female wrestling.

[image]local://upfiles/37092/99A2A20FCF3B46C691A3C353FDB87987.jpg[/image]

rustysi -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 3:45:10 AM)

[sm=nono.gif]

Here we go again....

Every so often some 'nug' pops in to ask this question. The answer is no.

The team for this gem was the 'perfect storm' of talent that came together at the right time and place to create the results that we can all experience. In addition to that some of them were around for a long time 'tweaking' and 'finessing' it to near perfection. In addition the are a lot of folks that still add to it with mods that they created. Add to that one individual puts in time to make corrections to the database and AI game play. All for a game that's over ten years old. Where the He%% have you ever seen that, past or present. So just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Oh, and by the way, you may wish for a newer version, but as I like to say these days... Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Not that you'll necessarily like it.[;)]

Of course the above is JMHO.

Anachro -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 3:52:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Oh, and by the way, you may wish for a newer version, but as I like to say these days... Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

I still shudder when I think of Hearts of Iron 4.

RangerJoe -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 4:03:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

quote:

I stopped at HOI2.

Chris21wen -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 4:34:59 AM)

quote:

However, for something both incredibly interesting and modern coming our way, look up Task Force Admiral.

Not the same thing at all. Other than in the pacific its got nothing akin yo WitPAE what-so-ever.

Anachro -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 4:49:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen
Not the same thing at all. Other than in the pacific its got nothing akin yo WitPAE what-so-ever.

I never said they were the same game; nonetheless, Task Force Admiral is a modern game focused on carrier warfare in the Pacific that looks very interesting to any fan of the Pacific theater, which is why I suggested it. I'm pretty sure I already established that a WitP3 is not coming; and it's doubtful anyone else will develop a modern take on it any time soon.

I'll add a specific qualifier for you next time.

Rebel Yell -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 5:27:59 AM)

quote:

Been watching this one for some time. Has the potential to really hit a sweet spot for the genre and Drydock seems to be going about it in a very competent manner.

rustysi -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 6:15:52 AM)

quote:

quote:

What's with HoI4? I stopped at three, but I have a friend who loves it. My biggest gripe is that its not playable for me against live opponents as I pause too often.

Then again how long have I been playing AE and never played other than the AI.[8|]

LeeChard -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/1/2020 11:12:58 AM)

I play against the A.I. almost exclusively. I have played against live opponents and it was very good but for the way I play it doesn't work. I'm retired and I often wake in the middle of the night and want to play for a while.
I know very little about how programs work so I don't even know if it would be possible with this game engine to code an AI that could be responsive to tactical situations.
I would pay for a new game on that basis alone.

Chris21wen -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 5:21:35 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

I never said they were the same game; nonetheless, Task Force Admiral is a modern game focused on carrier warfare in the Pacific that looks very interesting to any fan of the Pacific theater, which is why I suggested it. I'm pretty sure I already established that a WitP3 is not coming; and it's doubtful anyone else will develop a modern take on it any time soon.

I'll add a specific qualifier for you next time.

The original questions is about WitPAE and not a 'Modern' game as you call it.

Rising-Sun -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 12:01:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

I stopped at HOI2.

Dakest Hours on Steam is pretty good, most says it the best Hearts of Iron Series there is.

RangerJoe -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 12:17:34 PM)

I have trouble getting Steam to upgrade. It keeps stopping.

Rising-Sun -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 12:37:53 PM)

quote:

Try this...
https://www.gog.com/game/darkest_hour_a_hearts_of_iron_game

Anachro -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 12:44:10 PM)

quote:

What's with HoI4? I stopped at three, but I have a friend who loves it. My biggest gripe is that its not playable for me against live opponents as I pause too often.

If I remember it became very much a sandbox game with very peripheral connections to WW2, also very streamlined. Very weird unrealistic outcomes like making USA communist or fascist before 1939, etc. I also recall that people have conquered the world as small countries like Ireland in HoI4, so yeah, not really a realistic game at all. Certainly, there are many that enjoy that; not my cup of tea, especially as one who plays WitP.

quote:

Try running it in administrator mode, I don't know. I hardly have any problems with my Steam, but it certainly updates way too often, seems like almost 2-3 times a day at times.

Rising-Sun -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 1:03:14 PM)

quote:

quote:

If I remember it became very much a sandbox game with very peripheral connections to WW2, also very streamlined. Very weird unrealistic outcomes like making USA communist or fascist before 1939, etc. I also recall that people have conquered the world as small countries like Ireland in HoI4, so yeah, not really a realistic game at all. Certainly, there are many that enjoy that; not my cup of tea, especially as one who plays WitP.

quote:

Try running it in administrator mode, I don't know. I hardly have any problems with my Steam, but it certainly updates way too often, seems like almost 2-3 times a day at times.

Funny, they have positive reviews on Steam on that game, imo it was a horrible game esp if you are playing vs. AI. There alot of players included myself trying to mod it or improve it, but they kept updating it time to time with useless craps and gotta start all over with your projects.

RangerJoe -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 3:17:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny, they have positive reviews on Steam on that game, imo it was a horrible game esp if you are playing vs. AI. There alot of players included myself trying to mod it or improve it, but they kept updating it time to time with useless craps and gotta start all over with your projects.

It is the updates that crap out on me. I can get to over 79K on the 139+K updates but then something happens and it loses connection. I am still connected but it loses the connection. I don't feel that turning off my anti-virus is worth it. Who know what would happen.

I wish that the updates were discrete packages to be downloaded, then installed.

Treetop64 -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 4:50:35 PM)

quote:

[sm=nono.gif]

No kidding. Seeing how games have evolved in recent years. Prettied up but dumbed down. Appealing to the lowest common denominator and their wallets.

Might even get loot boxes, DLC...

Hell no. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should...

WitP:AE is by far the best strategy game I've ever played. Especially with many of the mods available (Chemkid maps, plane and ship art, unit emblems, upgraded scenarios, etc).

Rising-Sun -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 5:08:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

quote:

[sm=nono.gif]

No kidding. Seeing how games have evolved in recent years. Prettied up but dumbed down. Appealing to the lowest common denominator and their wallets.

Might even get loot boxes, DLC...

Hell no. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should...

WitP:AE is by far the best strategy game I've ever played. Especially with many of the mods available (Chemkid maps, plane and ship art, unit emblems, upgraded scenarios, etc).

I agreed, did a great job on that map too.

rustysi -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 8:09:37 PM)

quote:

quote:

Fair enough, I doubt I'd like it either.

Platoonist -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/2/2020 8:19:49 PM)

My one salient memory of HOI was my first time playing Germany in the 1939 scenario. It was few weeks of game time into the scenario when I noticed an Australian division had somehow gotten by my Baltic fleet patrols and started making an amphibious landing in East Prussia.

That and a muddle of other oddities led to the game being boxed not long after.

Treetop64 -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/3/2020 1:21:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

My one salient memory of HOI was my first time playing Germany in the 1939 scenario. It was few weeks of game time into the scenario when I noticed an Australian division had somehow gotten by my Baltic fleet patrols and started making an amphibious landing in East Prussia.

That and a muddle of other oddities led to the game being boxed not long after.

Reminds me of another "strategy" game that got reboxed not long after use; Superpower.
Early in the game I saw Mexico invade North Korea, right out of the blue, and I was like, "...wtf".

Alpha77 -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/3/2020 1:03:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Cough* Total War Series *cough

I also do not like Steam at all, the interface is not very good imho it uses to much resources and I could not get my AGEOD Civil War2 to run again.

I had downloaded a mod from Ageod forum, but it would crash.. so I deleted the mod to get my working vanilla back. But it now also crashed. So I used steam to "reapir" it but it would still not work. I deinstalled it and downloaded from steam again, still no luck. So for what is steam good then at all ? Better buy a game on CD/DVD, the problem then however is very often even then you need steam or some online tool to run it (which was the case for Empire TW/NapoleonTW I found an edition with both games for ca. 10,- a while ago. However it seems still to require steam ! ..even when I bought the physical media [8|]

Yes I noted these steam updates too. I did not want to update it, but just get my Civil War game back [:-]

Elessar2 -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/3/2020 3:48:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

So I used steam to "reapir" it but it would still not work.

Best typo of the month. [:D]

rustysi -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/4/2020 1:26:12 AM)

quote:

Early in the game I saw Mexico invade North Korea, right out of the blue, and I was like, "...wtf".

Oh no, that's totally doable.[:D][sm=innocent0009.gif]

RangerJoe -> RE: WITPAE 3 (8/4/2020 12:37:03 PM)

I can't get steam to update. I wish that one could download discrete packages to update the thing instead of 189,000k of information all at once. [:(]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI