Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire

Antmf_slith -> Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/12/2020 9:08:56 PM)

I have no idea and even where to start lol. Please let me know the best way to learn and how you guys did it... Thanks...

zgrssd -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/12/2020 9:31:18 PM)

There is a toutorial series from DasTactic:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4833342

However, I like to say that "nobody ever learned this game, without starving his soldiers at least once."

matt3916 -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/12/2020 9:35:23 PM)

It takes 15,000 casualties to train a...general -- Foch

mroyer -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/12/2020 10:30:16 PM)

Let go of your senses and feel the game...

Seriously, trying to study all the game mechanics for proper play is daunting and may be never-ending for a novice.
After a ton of frustrating study of mechanics details, I just let go, learned my way around the user interface enough to play and let my cast of in-game leaders do the bulk of work. I'm still in the middle of the process, but seeing how things are playing out I'm slowly getting a feel for how to control things.

There's still a ton of stuff I have no idea how it works - but I am slowly figuring it out and having far more fun than abscessing over the details, manuals and tutorials. That will come with experience.

(The DasTactic tutorials on YouTube are very good, though - worth a watch.)

-Mark R.

Daza99 -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/12/2020 10:37:44 PM)

When i got first got this game i didn't know whether i would bounce hard off this game or not but its ambition and scope drew me in. I applied some patience to learn the UI layout and where things were. I did also watch some of DasTactic videos which helped with that, but felt i should learn my mucking around with the game and once i grasp the bare basics and where things are I than can better draw more from the videos. I am still mastering the basics, and the learning process is actually fun. The forums are a great source for help. There is some quirks with the game, such as when calling the secretary or whatever to change some priorities etc after choosing what you want the leader to do and the initial pop-up window closes and you have to press the esc key to bring up the next related window for making changes to priorities etc. Some buttons to close a window says Cancel instead of close. Little things like that i hope gets polished up before the Steam release, but overall these do not detract from the enjoyment of the game.

eddieballgame -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/12/2020 11:22:02 PM)

Manual, Videos, & these forums...not necessarily in that order.
Oh, & open mind/patience...helps curb frustration.[:)]
BTW, get ready for a great 4x experience.

AttuWatcher -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/14/2020 9:08:52 AM)

Not an easy game to learn, but so worth it.

Not that I'm a master or even really know how to play it well. I just know how to pretend like I know how to play it.

DasTactic series is how I got started, and reading most of the manual in my downtime.

jwarrenw13 -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/14/2020 3:35:16 PM)

I did two things. Das Tactics videos, the most videos by far I've ever watched for a new game. Follow his planet setup instructions. And just trying things to see what would happen. Some worked well. Some didn't. Also play on easiest level.

zgrssd -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/14/2020 4:11:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwarrenw13

I did two things. Das Tactics videos, the most videos by far I've ever watched for a new game. Follow his planet setup instructions. And just trying things to see what would happen. Some worked well. Some didn't. Also play on easiest level.

Now that planet history options have been added, his planet setup is mostly useless.
Picking a small map no longer has any downside and you no longer need to mind stuff like planet age or size/gravity to get life.

coldiceEVO -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/14/2020 7:09:09 PM)

Play the game with manual open for hot keys.
Use different display options.
Save and see how cards, model designs, decisions and options play out differently.
Try different council opening (except applied science).
If you got time read chapter 5 in the manual, many details are there.
Keep a late game save just to look up stats. Rn not much reference and look ups.
making mistakes that are fun and horrible.

Philo32b -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/14/2020 8:59:41 PM)

There are so many moving parts, it can feel like you can't get ahead in the game. Just keep driving forward and crashing. Eventually things will just click and you will understand the basics.

In addition to Das' excellent videos, a nice supplement is eXplorminate's "Over eXplanation: Top Tips for Starting Out in Shadow Empire."

Don't rage quit playing the game when you get into your first logistical nightmare. Or when you surround a minor's capital with your non-upgraded initial troops and can't seem to take it or starve them out. The game is totally worth getting past these and learning how to get ahead.

Keep upgrading your capital's Truck Station. Also, someone on Reddit recommended putting a Truck Station I and Supply Base I every four hexes on roads. I don't know if this is the most efficient thing possible to do, but ever since I started doing this most (not all) of my logistical problems went away.

Sometimes the best way to conquer minors is diplomatically, especially if they have a lot of troops and highly defensible terrain. If you use the diplomatic cards to eventually unify them, you get all their militia units. These are generally garbage, but can still help scout territory, help pacify other minors, and screen your main forces from majors.

Good luck!

demiare -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/14/2020 9:04:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Philo32b
Also, someone on Reddit recommended putting a Truck Station I and Supply Base I every four hexes on roads.

Sorry but it's one of most idiotic decision I saw around. Why?

1) Because any asset beyond 6 hex radius provide a administrative strain - reducing output of EVERY building in that zone. Including logistic ones.
2) Because Truck Station I will send logistic points for 10 hex of Dirt Road without penalties - even WITHOUT supply base effect (level 1 supply base : +50 move points = +5 dirt road hex without penalties).
3) Because any active asset will provide Danger points if enemy will come close (and they're unpleasant).
4) And I don't even mention extreme & wasted consumption of resources and manpower (precious, precious manpower).

I think you definitely need to learn how Truck Station is working.

Philo32b -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/17/2020 11:10:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: demiare

Sorry but it's one of most idiotic decision I saw around. Why?

1) Because any asset beyond 6 hex radius provide a administrative strain - reducing output of EVERY building in that zone. Including logistic ones.
2) Because Truck Station I will send logistic points for 10 hex of Dirt Road without penalties - even WITHOUT supply base effect (level 1 supply base : +50 move points = +5 dirt road hex without penalties).
3) Because any active asset will provide Danger points if enemy will come close (and they're unpleasant).
4) And I don't even mention extreme & wasted consumption of resources and manpower (precious, precious manpower).

I think you definitely need to learn how Truck Station is working.

Setting aside the idea that it's the most idiotic thing to do (it did solve my logistic problems, after all), I agree that I need to learn how the truck stations work. I was taking the four hex suggestion on faith without really understanding if it is efficient. The specific way I connect my cities hasn't caused the admin strain and danger points that you point out, but if I can put truck stations 10 or 15 (with supply base) hexes apart, then I am certainly wasting resources. Thank you for taking the time to show how this works.

wodin -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/18/2020 3:12:21 PM)

You asked if it was a good game, so what's your opinion?

KingHalford -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/19/2020 4:39:32 PM)

Just play it until you make a mistake, figure out the mistake and try again. Of course, SE can be a long game so this can frustrate some people, but even if you've read the manual and watched all of DasTactic's tutorial videos you'll still make mistakes occasionally.

eddieballgame -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/19/2020 6:16:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingHalford
you'll still make mistakes occasionally.

occasionally?...I wish [:)]

Grimnar -> RE: Just got the game. Holy Moly best way to learn? (8/19/2020 7:31:32 PM)

Yes - cannot recommend the DasTactic video's enough! They have helped me to at least get solidly into the game. As jwarrenw13 said above, I've never watched so many videos for a game! (Not even Dwarf Fortress, or Cataclysm: CDDA, etc.)

But yes, as also said above, you'll still make mistake. Losing is !FUN! [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI