Targets for torpedo bombers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Lisien -> Targets for torpedo bombers (8/25/2020 6:38:48 PM)

Hello how can I affect targets for TB, because my TBFs attack only on CL, DD etc... But I need them to attack on BB or CV. Thanks for help[:)]

haegint -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/25/2020 6:44:29 PM)

You cannot order TB's directly to attack any particular class of ships in an enemy TF. If that TF contains BB, DD, CL whatever, the "pilots" (the game...) pick whatever target they like the best. As a player we don't have control over the target selection.

Maybe (probably) the game engine has a certain logic which ships get targeted first, but I just don't know.

RADM.Yamaguchi -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/25/2020 6:49:27 PM)

Would it help any if you split the group - say 27 bombers split in 3 - maybe there would be a better chance of targeting a bigger ship? for at least some of them?

scondon87 -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/25/2020 7:33:45 PM)

The computer will prioritize (generally) higher value ships, but it’s very dependent on DL. Get more search up, and it should work itself out.

geofflambert -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 2:46:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RADM.Yamaguchi

Would it help any if you split the group - say 27 bombers split in 3 - maybe there would be a better chance of targeting a bigger ship? for at least some of them?

Planes dropping bombs can target any ship they like while planes using torpedoes may be limited in target selection. Splitting the squadron isn't a bad idea, but I'd order at least one third to carry bombs. Bombs won the battle of Midway. Just make sure when you split the squadron to make sure each third has a competent commander.

RangerJoe -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 3:04:41 AM)

The aircraft attack in sub units of 4 or less. Splitting the air units allows you to attack more hexes with the same air unit. The torpedo bombers will try anvil attacks which is why you see them attacking from all four sides of the enemy ship. They will do so even with bombs.

Ian R -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 6:03:20 AM)

Torpedo hits are good when you get them, and they actually explode and penetrate, but as said above, bombs are the real winners - because you get many more bomb hits. Also, most large combat ships have torpedo bulges (in modern lingo -passive defensive systems) and you sometimes see a BB or carrier eat a torpedo and shrug it off with a few points of damage, even if its not a dud. All built in to the algorithm under the hood.

On the other hand, 2 or 3 1000lb SAP through a wooden carrier deck will put it out of action for months, and maybe sink it outright or while limping home. Multiple 500lb bomb hits on a BB will see a lot bounce off the deck armour, but they start fires, and cause increasing levels of system damage, and that will eventually sink the ship.

Mundy -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 1:16:30 PM)

BBs tend to be the problem with bombs. I've smoked a couple before in port with heavy bomber raids, but I'm not sure carriers can deliver enough bomb hits to incapacitate them.

Alfred -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 1:18:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RADM.Yamaguchi

No.

Alfred

RangerJoe -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 1:57:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

BBs tend to be the problem with bombs. I've smoked a couple before in port with heavy bomber raids, but I'm not sure carriers can deliver enough bomb hits to incapacitate them.

They can, especially Japanese BBs. Enough fire damage, things quit working, then they become a reef.

Mundy -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 2:45:50 PM)

True. It's just not always obvious at the time.

Lisien -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 5:25:09 PM)

DL was good, but I don't understand why almost all of my SBDs attacked on Yamato and TBFs on some DDs or torpedo boats

RangerJoe -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 5:37:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lisien

DL was good, but I don't understand why almost all of my SBDs attacked on Yamato and TBFs on some DDs or torpedo boats

Ssshhhhhh . . . it happens. It is the game, random die rolls, Gary Grigsby . . .

BBfanboy -> RE: Targets for torpedo bombers (8/26/2020 5:54:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lisien

Ssshhhhhh . . . it happens. It is the game, random die rolls, Gary Grigsby . . .

IME, the TBs are much more likely to go after smaller ships. I put it down to fear of flak from the bigger vessels. TBs coming level and almost straight at you would be easy targets.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI