RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> AAR

John B. -> RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (9/19/2020 2:57:50 PM)

Thanks for this AAR, it's very exciting!

amandkm -> RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (9/19/2020 7:17:10 PM)

Norway Liberated! Quisling takes last train from Oslo as garrison fights to last man against overwhelming odds. Deprived of northern bases, the U-Boat threat to the USSR should be eased somewhat. Soviet forces make probing counterattacks across the front as they build up forces. Meanwhile, the Marines drive the IJN back on Oahu, though the Imperial navy maintains a strong presence in Hawaiian waters.

Aussiematto -> RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (9/20/2020 7:17:54 AM)

OKW has received request for detailed progress maps and rejects it out of hand. Gott in Himmel! Do they not know spies read these forums??

The front line shows some of the following ...

In Sudan, Boers who foolishly believe in Smuts not Hitler, hold Khartoum. A strong force approaches, with Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica flying unopposed. Supply, as ever, is the real problem. In Persia, Germany is liberating the vital oilfields stolen by Britain in its cruel deal to annex Persia. Russian garrison troops advance on Tehran where a warm welcome awaits. At Stalingrad, intense bombing and rocket artillery pound the defences and armor and infantry are at the gates. At the end Of July, a low strength army holds, with heavy armor in support to the north. The southern End is collapsing as troops arrive from the desert. The Turks, ever keen to settle centurIes- old scores with Russia, are deploying to drive on Kyubachev, where strong defences await. Germany sends support. A cheeky Soviet mech drive takes back Kotlas and pushes on. We deploy panzers and the unit is wiped out in one attack, and Kotlas is taken back. We march some infantry down from ArchAngel to keep this flank strong. Leningrad falls, a remnant AA unit holds out showing fanatical communist resistance... for now. And, in a great thrust, Rommel takes a low strength panzer and pzgrenadier group north and occupies Murmansk. The supply line is broken! If ONLY the Finns realised their interests lie with us ....

Norway remains a huge issue. Indeed, Brits are boldly forcing their way onto the Danish coast and the RN is bombing and shelling at will. Von Runstedt is summoned back from AGN to take command: battle hardened Fritz smashes the undersupplied Tommies. We need to build up a western army OKH is told by a nervous Von R. Mussolini promises to defend france to the last German, if we help him conquer Ethiopia again, again, no doubt marching into Addis Ababa on the leather of Wehrmacht boots.

Yamamoto is happier. One of two Marine divisions is destroyed and reinforcements arrive on the south of Oahu. The USN will not, however, quit. A battleship, Fuso, is blown apart by the brave Yankee fleet ... we counter by sinking three battleships and a light carrier. This exchange rate might yet prove we can rule the Pacific. The long marches to Urumchi and Yakutsk continue, while we break into Penang and make more progress on Rangoon. Across the Pacific, new air assets deploy, and we consult Hitler about next moves...

LoneRunner -> RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (9/20/2020 5:33:21 PM)

Excellent AAR. I love Aussiematto's and amandkm's comments and analysis.

Could you provide delayed screenshots? Perhaps several turns back so that your current positions are not revealed. For example, it would be great to see the setup and attack on Greece. Aussiematto's advice on tactics in the Balkans was awesome. A screenshot would help me understand his comments a lot better.

I use Alt PrtSc, then paste to Microsoft Paint for screenshots. Yeah, Microsoft Paint, real oldschool. But Microsoft Paint allows me to easily edit the screenshot, resize, and save to a jpg file. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of new apps but it's simple and easy to use.

amandkm -> RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (9/21/2020 12:14:59 AM)

Maybe next game. I am left with no choice but to surrender. My fleet is lost, Russia cut off, the Levant falling, and unable to get a foothold in Europe.

Aussie plays a great game and it was a lot of fun. I think that doing the AAR's makes it even more enjoyable.

Aussiematto -> RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (9/21/2020 1:01:20 AM)

Ah, it has been a brave fight but sometimes a plan comes together. I was surprised at how easily I took Moscow in 41 ... not getting L and S did not seem to matter because I think I'd destroyed enough units as well.

I will post some screen shots from the end of the game soon.

I think the thing that tipped it over the edge was a final, relentless assault at the end of August 1942. Just as the weather closes in, I took Stalingrad, *JUST*. The army there hung on against every bomber, rocket artillery and infantryman I could muster. Only when I brought up another armoured unit from south of Stalingrad did it break. Then, thankfully, I'd kept a patient para unit around Grozny for MONTHS... it dropped into Stalingrad. And, I broke the marines in Honolulu, too and, apparently, have seen off the USN. The loss of RN carriers and other ships in the med was a boon since I could throw the entire IJN at Hawaii and it became a watery armaggedon

Thanks for the game - it was v good.

Tactical tip for those like me who are still learning:

I stuffed up a couple of amphibious assaults by forgetting you need a movement point left AFTER you sail to the coast to be able to do both an attack and a landing . DOH!

Aussiematto -> RE: Aussiematto (Axis) v amandkm (Allies) AAR 1.07 full game (9/21/2020 3:14:02 AM)

Thanks for everyone's interest in this game - and my thanks to amandkm for his sterling efforts.

The game crashed when I reviewed it after it ended and so I did not get any screen shots :( From what I could see

1) China has built a really good defensive line at Urumchi and probably outnumbers my Japanese attackers. Of course, with morale in the low 30s, China is disadvantaged. I probably needed either a) to commit more forces there or b) just accept China is defeated and dig in. I ran a really effective campaign there, but have very little airpower to winkle out those last defenders at the end of my supply line. All the MPPs went into the navy (7 CVs and 3 CVLs plus 5 SS at the end I think). The only realistic way to get there is probably a German offensive after Russia.

2) Sudan is probably safe as well, though I was not trying too hard there - just giving the Italians something to do and holding down some Brit allies.

3) Russia probably would have fallen. The defences at Kyubachev are weaker than I expected but there's plenty of forts at Perm. I would definitely have needed 2 years however and probably April 1945 is the earliest I could defeat it. The Japanese offensive in Siberia would have been a problem, driving down morale while I built up fort busting artillery so I think it was likely to fall. Question is - would I have survived landings in France?

4) The attempt to land in France and Denmark was easily defeated but until Russia goes, hard to do anything offensively into Britain.

5) The next Japanese move was going to be Australia - the navy would have been strong enough and I was going to build up for a 5-6 amphibious assault. Was considering taking NZ first, as a base, but was going to ignore other islands once I took Singapore. India is probably the hardest nut to crack. I am not sure I could have got Delhi without Germans via Afghanistan.

6) Spain was on track to join Axis (60%, full press diplomatic). My next German move probably was to focus totally on Russia. I had 4 Pz corps in Persia and they were heading for the road to Saratov...

So ultimately, I think I had a more pessimistic view of things than amandkm but agree that, in all likelihood, the end was clear. Just a question of when.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI