RE: High or low density scenarios? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

SeaQueen -> RE: High or low density scenarios? (10/31/2020 3:03:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LORDPrometheus
True but I also want my scenarios to run reasonably well so more than 150ish weapons in the air at once is to be avoided if I can.

It depends on what you mean by "running well." The software can handle it on a decent computer. The software gets quicker almost every release, so bogging it down with weapon and sensor adjudications isn't the issue.

The problem is that at some point, the person in charge of making the decisions that Command is focused on, isn't the person that would command a force that large. They would, by necessity, manage a force that large more abstractly for the most part. In that sense, if you wanted to do a huge scenario (e.g. 100 days of war, the entire Western Pacific Theatre) then Command is probably the wrong tool for that. The person controlling that campaign, isn't weaponeering individual DMPIs. They aren't plotting ingress routes, or worrying about intercept geometry. It's an entirely different mindset.

There's a common mistake out there (both in professional wargames and in the hobby community) that operational level wargaming is just lots and lots of tactical going on simultaneously, and it's just not. I suspect it's driven by the fact that even most very experienced military officers spend most of their careers operating at the purely tactical level. If they do spend time at an operational level command then they typically don't do it for very long. It's kind of a cult that really gets how the purely operational level works. At that point, though, it's less about how to get a given strike package through, and more about broader questions, like, how do I apportion between defensive and offensive operations? How do I protect the APODs so that my forces can build up in theater over the next XX-days? Do I prioritize strikes on airbases, time sensitive targets, or logistics hubs? How does my target list correspond to the political objectives I'm trying to compel?

Once you set that kind of broad guidance, the staff plans and develops the ATO and the SPINs/DIMs etc. That in turn is subject to further modification when the wing commander calls back to the CAOC and says, "It says you need X sorties from us but we only have Y tails today because they're broken after yesterday's sorties, what's the plan?" It's a whole different dance from what's going on in CMO and I don't think does it very well. CMO comes in and says, "Here's the target for today, we need to blow up this bridge, it's defended by this, you've got these aircraft, ships and submarines, and a little bit of SOF support, go get 'em!"

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI