English Text Corrections (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback

Trifler -> English Text Corrections (12/24/2020 9:47:34 AM)

This is a thread for posting spelling, grammar, punctuation, and other English text corrections. English only for this thread please. Putting these together in a single thread makes it easier for the Dev.

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/24/2020 10:04:07 AM)

Spelling:
- Under the Workshop button, the word "Ammunitions" should be "Ammunition" in three places. "Ammunition" is already plural.
- For aircraft, "Bombhatch" should be "Bomb Hatch"
- "Hermits Cave" should be "Hermit's Cave"

Context:
- "Battledress" is an incorrect term for what it describes. It would more accurately be something like an Exoskeleton, Exosuit, or Powered Armor.

Suggestion:
- I would like to see Sealed Roads changed to Paved Roads. Paved Roads is what the vast majority of English speaking nations call them.

zgrssd -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/24/2020 12:22:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trifler

Spelling:
- Under the Workshop button, the word "Ammunitions" should be "Ammunition" in three places. "Ammunition" is already plural.
- For aircraft, "Bombhatch" should be "Bomb Hatch"
- "Hermits Cave" should be "Hermit's Cave"

Context:
- "Battledress" is an incorrect term for what it describes. It would more accurately be something like an Exoskeleton, Exosuit, or Powered Armor.

Suggestion:
- I would like to see Sealed Roads changed to Paved Roads. Paved Roads is what the vast majority of English speaking nations call them.

Only two areas I disagree on:
Battledress - I always asumed that was a cultural term for powerarmor. "Look at those Elite units in their Battledress".

Sealed Roads - actually turns out is a umbrella term: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealed_road
So both terms might work.

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/24/2020 1:03:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
Only two areas I disagree on:
Battledress - I always asumed that was a cultural term for powerarmor. "Look at those Elite units in their Battledress".

Sealed Roads - actually turns out is a umbrella term: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealed_road
So both terms might work.

Battledress works in your example, but it does not work for anything powered. The term "battledress" simply means the armor and equipment that soldiers wear in general.

I already knew about that Wikipedia article, and I agree it is an umbrella term, but so is paved roads. Sealed roads is not what people call them. Paved roads is the predominant usage. Asphalt roads is more specific and a common US term. AFAIK, the only place where the term "sealed roads" is Australia and New Zealand.

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/27/2020 2:51:14 AM)

- In the report for the Economic Council Overview, in the Start of Turn Log, there is a line that says, "Resulting in the discovery of the techfield X". There should be a space between "tech" and "field". Likewise for other councils that use this same line.

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/29/2020 6:37:39 AM)

In the Model Type screen:
- There is a tooltip that says, "This Model Type is already discovered, but you did not complete design of any Model yet." This should say, "This Model Type has been discovered, but no Models have been designed yet."

- Similarly, the tooltip that says, "This Model Type is already discovered and you have designed Models." should say, "This Model Type has been discovered and Models have been designed."

- "You need to have mastered the following Techs:" should say, "You need to master the following Techs:"

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/31/2020 12:24:58 AM)

In the Technology screen, in the Applied Engineering box:
- Proppeler Engine Efficiency should be "Propeller Engine Efficiency"
- Aircraft Rugedness should be "Aircraft Ruggedness"
- For Conventional Small Arms Optimization, the word "ammunitions" should be "ammunition"
- For Aerodynamic Design, the description would be better if it said, "This tech improves the aerodynamics of your flying designs."

General tooltips:
- The sentence that says, "Discovery is currently impossible because of a 'requisite condition' missing" should say, "Discovery is currently impossible because a requisite tech is missing"

Suggestions:
- The description for Propeller Efficiency should specify that "This tech improves the power of Propeller and Turboprop engines"
- The description for Jet Engine Efficiency should specify that "This tech improves the power of Jet and Turbojet engines". If it also improves Plasma engines, then list that as well.

redrum68 -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/31/2020 12:52:34 AM)

There are a number of places in the game and the manual that are inconsistent in the spelling of "artifact" vs "artefact".

zgrssd -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/31/2020 11:22:54 AM)

quote:

General tooltips:
- The sentence that says, "Discovery is currently impossible because of a 'requisite condition' missing" should say, "Discovery is currently impossible because a requisite tech is missing"

Pre-requisite Conditions can also be Planetary traits. Stuff like having a atmosphere, being geologically active, ect.
So it can not be collapsed to just technology.

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/31/2020 11:26:52 AM)

In an event in which I chose to investigate to find the person causing the harassment:
- The word "Hapiness" should be "Happiness"
- Instead of "decreased with 5%", it should say, "decreased by 5%"

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/31/2020 12:07:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

General tooltips:

Pre-requisite Conditions can also be Planetary traits. Stuff like having a atmosphere, being geologically active, ect.
So it can not be collapsed to just technology.

Is it really so hard to make those have two different sentences in that case?
If it is, then "Discovery is currently impossible because a requisite condition is missing" would suffice.

redrum68 -> RE: English Text Corrections (12/31/2020 2:57:52 PM)

Word score rating "Truthfull" should be "Truthful"

redrum68 -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/5/2021 6:15:03 PM)

Dip Decision: Access Offer to Ancient Site

"An envoy from XXX has proposed us access to a famous acient..." should be "ancient"

Arralen -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/6/2021 10:57:56 AM)

SPELLING

Hex Perk "Large Mediatheque"
Asset icon, mouseover, info window read: "monastry"
... should be "monastery"

"Advice: No Machines 1/1"
Text reads: "You can artisanally Produce ... by using the 'Workshop' Order"
... should be "produce" and workshop order.

Mouseover "Unit Feat: Scavenger Team"
Text reads: "The earn you credits for most kills"
... should be "They earn ..."

Zone Decision "Omnious Sealed Door"
Text reads: "Indefenitive Quarantine"
... should be "Ominous" and "indefinite quarantine"

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/6/2021 4:12:30 PM)

In the actual Workshop dialog, Artisinal Production of Machines should be "Artisanal..."

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/6/2021 8:38:16 PM)

Nitpick.

For the "Steelhold" culture, is "Steelholdench" as the adjective an oversight or intentional? It would make more sense in English as "Steelholdian" or "Steelholdish" or "Steelholden". Probably not "Steelholdese", though, come to think of it. But, to my ear, "Steelholdench" definitely comes off as awkward.

Clubstuhl -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/6/2021 9:40:32 PM)

Found a unit of a Major named "Erklarungswagen"
That is not a correct german tank name.
Fuchs or Hummel is one, but "Erklarungswagen" must be changed to "Aufklärungswagen" (in eng. Recon unit)

(Erklarungswagen back-translated to english is more like "explaining car", and that would be a stupid name :-D)

zgrssd -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/8/2021 9:24:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clubstuhl

Found a unit of a Major named "Erklarungswagen"
That is not a correct german tank name.
Fuchs or Hummel is one, but "Erklarungswagen" must be changed to "Aufklärungswagen" (in eng. Recon unit)

(Erklarungswagen back-translated to english is more like "explaining car", and that would be a stupid name :-D)

There is the "Erklärbär" (literally "Explaning Bear"), but that also seems very unfitting for a Armored car.
German naming for military vehicles has a tendency to:
a) A simple registration number for the model. Just look at Sonderkraftfahrzeug (literally: special purpose vehicle), wich was picked as part of the "we are totally not still (re)arming in conflict with a certain treaty" obfuscation.
b) A name based on a animal that is not usually used as pet (no dogs or cats, but Wolf, Puma or Leopard).
c) Option A, with option B simply becomming a colloquial name.

On another mater:
"Linear tech" is a bit of a missnomer. While it does somewhat convey the part where you have to keep researching it, the increase in cost seems anything but linear. It would guess it is very much Exponential.
I think the best clarification would be to give these techs discrete levels and display wich level from the range we have. I.e., 55/100 or 550/1100 instead of 55%.

Arralen -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/8/2021 12:44:53 PM)

Hex Perk "Small Degraded AF"
Mouseover, info window read:
"What the ancients consider small, is actually extremely humungous for our times. The problem is this Automated Factory spawning several square kilometers is in ruins and severely degraded. ..."

... should be:
"What the ancients considered small, is actually extremely humongous for our times. The problem is that this automated factory spanning several square kilometers is (?add: partly ?) in ruins and severely degraded. ..."

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/8/2021 8:03:49 PM)

I'd say there is no need to add "extremely" to humongous. Humongous is one of those words that is itself hyperbolic -- it has "extremely" built into it. I'd say either put it as "extremely large" or "humongous".

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/8/2021 8:19:49 PM)

Militia Commemorate Plaque
"We had a giant silver and gold commemorative plaque placed and the militia troops were moved to tears by the honor you bestowed upon them. The militia units gained +22 government points."

What are government points?

Also, this sentence is technically correct but a bit strange... I've never seen a giant plaque. A plaque is a metal plate etched with text and/or imagery placed on something else. Might it be better imagined as a monument to the militia? If so, suggested language:

"We had a commemorative monument decorated with a silver and gold plaque erected in the capitol. The militia were moved to tears by the honor bestowed upon them, and all militia units gain +x [morale?]."

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/10/2021 12:48:26 PM)

When designing an aircraft with both an A2A weapon and an A2G weapon (possibly any two weapons in general), there is a sentence in the model description that says, "Its also equiped with ..." This should say, "It's also equipped with ..."

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/19/2021 2:26:02 PM)

Looks like there's an incorrect variable in the leader's history log for the newly-joined governor of a diplomatically-protected minor joining the player's nation when another major attacks it.

"When his country joined Mericca, became governor."

Except Mericca is the enemy major who attacked it, and the minor nation joined me to squirm away from Mericca.

Also, while you're on this particular point, I would make a minor change in phrasing:

"Became governor when [his/her] country joined [nation it joined]."

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/20/2021 4:59:53 PM)

This dialog is a little unclear.

Our intel operatives are receiving disturbing reports from Hochavia. It seems that mysterious mercenaries are joining their forces. They must be building up for an attack on federation. If you make a public announcement that we intend to conquer Hochavia it will very probably deter the arrival of more mercenaries.

Do we make a public declaration of war?

"They must be building up for an attack on federation." -- is "federation" a placeholder for the player nation name?

Also, I might suggest this line be changed to something like: "I believe they are building up for an attack on us."

[image]local://upfiles/51317/FF282D6539574407915CEB3A059FA089.jpg[/image]

TimeAndTactics -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/21/2021 5:45:01 PM)

Spelling (in version #95)

The pop-up for the Militia Chief feat has several spelling errors

"Leader is also a Militia Chief. Keeps the Miltiia happen if at lest one chief is present in your Cabinet. If employed as Zone Governor gives a bonus to Miilitancy."

* "Miltiia" should be "Militia"
* "happen" should be "happy"
* "lest" should be "least"
* "Miilitancy" should be "Militancy"

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/24/2021 7:54:15 AM)

On the Tech screen, for Advanced Sensors:
- It currently says, "Giving access to improved sensor equipment will increase your equipments and troops' recon ranges all over the board."
- This should say, "Provides improved sensor equipment that increases the recon ranges of your troops all across the board."

zgrssd -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/27/2021 8:12:56 PM)

quote:

- It currently says, "Giving access to improved sensor equipment will increase your equipments and troops' recon ranges all over the board."
- This should say, "Provides improved sensor equipment that increases the recon ranges of your troops all across the board."

A proper description of Improved Sensors would be:
"Doubles units Recon. Does not apply to Trucks." Potentially add "not more then +5", if applicable.

Trifler -> RE: English Text Corrections (1/27/2021 10:12:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

A proper description of Improved Sensors would be:
"Doubles units Recon. Does not apply to Trucks." Potentially add "not more then +5", if applicable.

To put that into a complete sentence then, it should say something like, "Provides improved sensor equipment that effectively doubles the recon range of troops all across the board. Does not apply to Trucks."

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (2/8/2021 12:04:26 AM)

This is not only a textual correction, but apparently a couple of game-mechanic discrepancies as well.

"Forsees" -> "Foresees"
"... it might not be to late" -> "... it might not be too late"
"High leader of Zelus seems like a logical person." -> "The high leader of Zelus seems like a logical person."

[image]local://upfiles/51317/979C645400F743718622BEB6BCB9DB63.jpg[/image]

"Our relation turned Hostile."
not strictly required, but is a little bit off -- suggested replacement -> "Our relations have turned Hostile."

Also, I noticed that Mind +3 doesn't happen like the previous screen said it would.
Also, there is no actual roll. It says there is, but I reloaded and redid this event multiple times, and it's always 97. Looks like it's not tied to either a skill or roll.

[image]local://upfiles/51317/D56BFA2B92A04859912E5E01FEBD8841.jpg[/image]

Luckspeare -> RE: English Text Corrections (2/8/2021 12:14:21 AM)

(consolidated both posts and images into above post)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI