giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire

Don_Oda -> giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 1:59:48 PM)

Is it worth giving the AI additional time (option at start of the game)? Playing on hard level and standard size map- having turns of 30 min.[:(] This is for my taste to long. Wat is the best setup?
Reduce the planet size and population? Disable the AI extra turn? … I like a challenge game… any advice?

ASHBERY76 -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 3:44:10 PM)

No unless you buy a better CPU.

Don_Oda -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 4:00:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

hmm ok. so my Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz is the problem!?
what is your average turn time?

mroyer -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 5:04:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don_Oda

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

hmm ok. so my Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz is the problem!?
what is your average turn time?

A bunch of people timed their turns and posted their computer stats here:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4911770

Unfortunately, that was before the option to allow AI more time was implemented. So, it's not clear how relevant the numbers still are.

-Mark R.

Soar_Slitherine -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 5:20:44 PM)

Having a large number of regimes on the planet can drastically increase the turn processing time. On a recent planet with 11 majors and a large number of minors, the turn times were pretty intolerable, but on one with only 5 majors and 20-30 minors that I'm playing on right now, it only takes a few minutes.

Clux -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 6:04:20 PM)

Having the game installed on a SSD helps with loading times too

zgrssd -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 7:30:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don_Oda

Is it worth giving the AI additional time (option at start of the game)? Playing on hard level and standard size map- having turns of 30 min.[:(] This is for my taste to long. Wat is the best setup?
Reduce the planet size and population? Disable the AI extra turn? … I like a challenge game… any advice?

I will give you the usual performance answers:
- AI progessing time increases close to exponentially with the number of players. More AI palyers have to think about more other AI players
- the only thing that maters is single core performance. For the average game, only the main thread will be the bottleneck. The only advantage is to put OS threads to another core so the one can really be taxed out. And the improoved cooling allowing for automatic overclocking

springel -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/28/2020 9:43:13 PM)

I think the extra time is worth is for a smart tactical AI.

KarisFraMauro -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/29/2020 8:14:31 AM)

So even people with fast computers find the turn length rough... That kind of makes me feel better. Well as long as it's a small world with minimal opponents turn length feels reasonable enough.

Don_Oda -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/29/2020 9:17:34 AM)

Thanks all for the input.

I will keep the extra AI time. Reduce the planet size and try to reduce the number of majors in the game.
Sad, I will stop playing the game that I am running now. It is(was) an interesting match… upcoming war with a strong major, my logistics starting to collapse and no rare metals mines anymore.

Jorgas -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/29/2020 9:30:37 AM)

Even very high single core don't seem to help my I9900KS (main gaming PC), that's running the main core at 5.2 with most of the other non essential processes moved to other cores then SEs. It does not even use 10% of the main core. I own 4 pcs, from massive multi core AMD's to low core insane OC speeds. The turn time is just as bad on them all :(

The only way to reduce turn timer seems to have few enemies, and low wildlife on a medium sized playground. And Yes, the additional AI time is worth it imo :)

beyondwudge -> RE: giving the AI additional time. Is it worth? (12/29/2020 1:58:03 PM)

I'm going to give it a try.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI