Combat (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

wodin -> Combat (1/4/2021 11:29:26 AM)

Just started watching the first season of Combat series. I don't think it was ever shown on UK TV. 32 episodes a season, that's alot.

Rodwonder -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 11:33:16 AM)

Haven't seen it since I was a kid... Never on in the states. Good show, enjoy!

Lobster -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 1:02:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Just started watching the first season of Combat series. I don't think it was ever shown on UK TV. 32 episodes a season, that's alot.

Back in the day TV series would have a lot more episodes than todays. Probably a cost of production thing. Now it's all about how much fake blood they need to throw out there and what the graphic violence is going to cost. [:D]

Oh, I forgot to mention the gratuitous sex scenes that have to be thrown into every program now. The wife and I were talking about the old tv programs just a couple of days ago. [;)]

uncc -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 2:29:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder

Haven't seen it since I was a kid... Never on in the states. Good show, enjoy!

If you have Xfinity, the H&I network (Heroes and Icons) is showing this every Saturday nite along with Baa Baa Black Sheep, Tour of Duty, Rat Patrol and 12 O'clock High. [sm=00000054.gif]

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 2:38:35 PM)

By contract, those actors had to have clean uniforms at the start of the shooting day. They had to roll in real dirt to get the dirty look.

I think, although I have no actual knowledge of this, that some of the episodes were shot at the same time but with different production units. If you notice, sometimes it is the Sergeant and some of the men but not the LT other times, it is the opposite. Then there are episodes with all of the men. The show appeared to be real nice with some of the actors being actual war veterans.

Too bad the consumer has to purchase a "package" from the cable and other distributors of this medium and not just pay for those that are actually wanted. I wonder just how many of these channels would disappear.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 5:04:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Oh, I forgot to mention the gratuitous sex scenes that have to be thrown into every program now.

Japan has done that with their anime since beginning. Got censored in many localisations when VHS was popular ("cartoons are for the children"), and is still done for TV broadcast and Internet streaming. Twitter is all rage all the time about it.

wodin -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 5:04:50 PM)

One episode they are in France but next episode in Italy. One the LT has a broken leg but next episode he is fine and dandy. The sec0oond or was it third episode of season one it seems to finish suddenly with the Sarg shot in leg and two replacements under MG fire and it just finished! Some good bits like one shot the Sarg gets under an outflow of water, next shot he is soaking then next he is totally dry again. Brilliant.

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 6:05:15 PM)

quote:

One episode they are in France but next episode in Italy. One the LT has a broken leg but next episode he is fine and dandy. The sec0oond or was it third episode of season one it seems to finish suddenly with the Sarg shot in leg and two replacements under MG fire and it just finished! Some good bits like one shot the Sarg gets under an outflow of water, next shot he is soaking then next he is totally dry again. Brilliant.

Don't you know? That is the magic of television plus the ignorance of Americans on world geography. After all, they probably think that they have to go to England to go to London instead of Ontario, Big Canada Land, or to Italy to go to Rome instead of Georgia, USA.

Zap -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 6:48:24 PM)

What irked me about the program. The 15 casualties for the germans and zero for the american squad. Repeated throughout the series. The squad of americans should have had been eliminated several times over if it was anywhere near realistic.

demyansk -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 7:45:10 PM)

Baa baa black sheep, I loved that show

wodin -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 8:39:08 PM)

Never heard of Ba Ba Black Sheep??

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 10:29:31 PM)

quote:

Fictionalized television account of VMF-214 in the Pacific. F4U Corsairs playing against AT6 trainers playing the Japanese A6M Zero.

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/4/2021 10:37:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

What irked me about the program. The 15 casualties for the germans and zero for the american squad. Repeated throughout the series. The squad of americans should have had been eliminated several times over if it was anywhere near realistic.

Ever hear of Audie Murphy? How about a guy named Alvin York?

Lobster -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 1:31:20 AM)

quote:

Black Sheep Squadron https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/rf-watch-online/tv-shows/black-sheep-squadron

Lobster -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 1:35:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Don't you know? That is the magic of television plus the ignorance of Americans on world geography. After all, they probably think that they have to go to England to go to London instead of Ontario, Big Canada Land, or to Italy to go to Rome instead of Georgia, USA.

WTF...why on Earth would you throw in a bigoted statement like that for a thread about a tv show? [&:]
It's because of people like you that threads get locked.
What an (expletive deleted).

Rebel Yell -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 1:36:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

If you have Xfinity, the H&I network (Heroes and Icons) is showing this every Saturday nite along with Baa Baa Black Sheep, Tour of Duty, Rat Patrol and 12 O'clock High. [sm=00000054.gif]

Watched 'em all in my younger days. Realistic? No. Entertaining? Not yes, but hell yes.

z1812z -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 1:39:57 AM)

Most of the episodes are on you tube. The quality is quite good.

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 3:16:09 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

WTF...why on Earth would you throw in a bigoted statement like that for a thread about a tv show? [&:]

Why? Because most Americans are ignorant of world geography.

That is not political or religious, that is truth. If anything, your last sentence is an insult.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 3:31:57 AM)

I have Combat and Rat Patrol on dvd (of course I do :) )

It's handy to note, you can watch Combat on YouTube.

I really liked Tour of Duty as well.

Realism? These were often one step away from fictional dramatizations I suppose. Always liked the actor that played the lead German officer in Rat Patrol. I know him as Victor of course.

Baa Baa Black sheep was fun.

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 12:23:06 PM)

Yes, they are/were entertaining. But if you want realism, watch a documentary.

Lobster -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 12:38:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is not political or religious, that is truth. If anything, your last sentence is an insult.

[MODERATION]

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 1:07:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your prejudice is appalling. You are ignorant of most Americans and get your information from Youtube. You wouldn't know the truth if it walked up and smacked you in the face.

And this is highly political. You insult an entire nation of peoples because of your biased and prejudiced opinion, much like Hitler vs the Jews.

[MODERATION]

Don60420 -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 1:51:17 PM)

Great show. Surprisingly realistic for television in the sixties. The cost of war was well shown in the two part episode Hills are for Heroes. Highly recommended.

Lobster -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 3:42:25 PM)

And you continue to make me correct. Thank you.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 4:05:13 PM)

Keep it civil please guys. Let's not cast unpleasant generalisations.

Cheers

Pip

Lobster -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 4:30:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Keep it civil please guys. Let's not cast unpleasant generalisations.

Cheers

Pip

Yes sir. Sorry sir. [;)]

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 4:35:22 PM)

[You were asked to stop.]

Lobster -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 4:49:40 PM)

quote:

Moderated

[Hardly nice]

RangerJoe -> RE: Combat (1/5/2021 5:24:19 PM)

[Consider this a final warning to confine your comments to civil and relevant, before a timeout is needed.]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI