How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire

mahaniok -> How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/9/2021 9:46:29 PM)

I have been trying to play a diplomacy game, I invested in Foreign Affairs council with a really strong leader, but I can't do almost anything because all cards have crazy high difficulty.

Some major cards:
"Gift 400 Crd" = diff 217.
"Embassy" = diff 350.
"Trade" = diff 290.

Some minor cards:
"Offer protection" = diff 202.
"Offer client" = diff 249.

Any way to improve these difficulties?

I see that for majors it depends on "AI stance". how can I improve / change AI stance?

thanks

newageofpower -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/9/2021 10:32:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mahaniok

I have been trying to play a diplomacy game, I invested in Foreign Affairs council with a really strong leader, but I can't do almost anything because all cards have crazy high difficulty.

Some major cards:
"Embassy" = diff 350.
"Trade" = diff 290.

Some minor cards:

I see that for majors it depends on "AI stance". how can I improve / change AI stance?

thanks

Alot depends on the AI culture and political profile. You're not going to get Expansionist Militarists to sincerely cooperate with you - its just not in their nature. Similarily, if you have a very high "aggression" score the AI will suspect you.

mahaniok -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/10/2021 12:59:09 AM)

What if all 3 majors I border are "militarist"... :)

redrum68 -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/10/2021 1:41:58 AM)

I wish there was a tooltip for the difficulty showing the breakdown.

stryc -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/10/2021 10:52:17 AM)

I have very little idea on how which type of AI is likely to react to any given overture. Up to this point just about every AI has a difficulty up in the several hundreds so, in general, I just don't bother with it anymore - which is a shame to end up ignoring an entire chunk of the game. Some sort of tooltip/breakdown would help unobfuscate the matter. Say what you like about Paradox games but their tooltips for such things are spot on.

zgrssd -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/10/2021 11:45:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: newageofpower

quote:

ORIGINAL: mahaniok

Some major cards:
"Embassy" = diff 350.
"Trade" = diff 290.

Some minor cards:

thanks

Alot depends on the AI culture and political profile. You're not going to get Expansionist Militarists to sincerely cooperate with you - its just not in their nature. Similarily, if you have a very high "aggression" score the AI will suspect you.

I think relations is another factor in this. Much harder to improove relations if they distrust you.

V4ndall -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/10/2021 12:07:12 PM)

Like the old games, many possibilities are handled numerically, that is, instead of listing something as explicitly impossible it's difficulty is set very high. That said, many zones are simply not open to any kind of diplomacy. Firstly, the territories, zones without a city can by controlled by things incapable of doing so like wild animals, remnant androids, arachnids, mutants (this one is a bit weird, since they are clearly intelligent and have the worst military units I ever came across, so they're hardly in position to be doing so). Next there are the free folk minors, which can have a city but follow a warrior culture like low tech hunters or apocalyptic raiders, they are quite hardheaded but can be negotiated with when enough pressure is put on them. Then, you have scavengers and farmers, who are in fact a bit too easy to sway and get their zones annexed/unified into player regimes. Lastly majors have a whole bunch of diplomacy modifiers depending on profile compatibility, their stance and relation with the player regime. All three of those can be diplomatically changed through covert ops stratagems (like supporting a more likable faction in their government), story events and existing deals (like trade, embassies and similar stratagems) respectively.

Maerchen -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/10/2021 1:37:47 PM)

You can however raise relation with any regime with the Plea for Friendship covert ops stratagem for 5PP. Saved my behind more than one time when a realtion suddenly went south with a major or slaver and my military positioning wasn't optimized for this. Raising the relation with two or three of this often delayed their war declaration for enough turns to react. It helps with diplomacy, too, of course.

eddieballgame -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/10/2021 8:35:45 PM)

One thing I noticed that is a 'mixed bag', when they offer to help you...be warned. [:)]

laughinglab_MatrixForum -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/11/2021 4:25:45 PM)

What doesn't make sense to me though, is that Plea for Friendship works without a skill check, but gifting a sum of credits does.

zgrssd -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/11/2021 5:58:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: laughinglab_MatrixForum

What doesn't make sense to me though, is that Plea for Friendship works without a skill check, but gifting a sum of credits does.

I am a bit rusty, but what does it cost to play? A 10's of PP? A Fate Point? is it easy to get?

laughinglab_MatrixForum -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/11/2021 7:02:47 PM)

quote:

I am a bit rusty, but what does it cost to play? A 10's of PP? A Fate Point? is it easy to get?

IIRC (haven't played the diplo game in a while), PfF is a normal (non-fate) covert ops stratagem that increases relations with any regime for a small (<10) PP cost.
The relation gain is pretty small, but you can easily play several of them in the same turn and even on the same faction since it's not technically a diplo stratagem. There's no skill check involved.

newageofpower -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/12/2021 3:14:19 AM)

It's a faction stratagem, though, and rolling it means you didn't roll something more useful like an city improvement, ala Zoo/Militia/Commercial Project, or even better, an S-tier Leader Boost like Cooptation/Sacred Oath.

Maerchen -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/12/2021 8:04:23 PM)

Being able to raise your relation multiple times by up to 20(?) points for 5PP before you play unification and getting a fresh zone, thousands of militia troops and maybe some helpful hex perks is nothing to sneeze at, though.

It is an auto-success, not restricted to once per round stratagem you can play on any regime. And in mid/lategame all your cities should have zoo/commercial IIIs anyway.

zgrssd -> RE: How is difficulty calculated for Majors/Minors stratagems? (1/12/2021 8:07:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: newageofpower

It's a faction stratagem, though, and rolling it means you didn't roll something more useful like an city improvement, ala Zoo/Militia/Commercial Project, or even better, an S-tier Leader Boost like Cooptation/Sacred Oath.

Ah right, that was it. Faction Stratagem. Meaning you can not get it reliable.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI