RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2

Secretcode -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 5:37:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Secretcode
Definitely needs to live play it lol I feel bad for him because he has to rush with the paste of the video speed, but it's packed full of info so much goodness.

I'll try live-playing in the future, but we were trying to pack as much as we could into an hour, boy that went by quickly!

awesome!

I'm wondering if pilots who destroy a certain amount of ships or aliens move up and ranks, I can't remember if this was already in, but can someone become a vet or evolve in ranks?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 5:38:27 PM)

Here's the recorded stream link for those who may have missed it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/888875863

rjord2021 -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 5:47:28 PM)

quote:

Here's the recorded stream link for those who may have missed it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/888875863

Thanks Erik...... signed up for the beta and looking forward to testing this game.

arvcran2 -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 6:01:33 PM)

Well I signed up for Beta ... but really not sure if it went through ... strange login issue with a popup login ... can log into matrix forums via that page but not the pop-up ... I did get a thank you for signing up screen.

rjord2021 -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 6:02:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: arvcran2

Well I signed up for Beta ... but really not sure if it went through ... strange login issue with a popup login ... can log into matrix forums via that page but not the pop-up ... I did get a thank you for signing up screen.

Check your email... if your application went through you should have an email confirming the application was received. If the popup you are talking about was where you entered the username and password again, I had that too....... just ignored it as I ws already logged in.

AKicebear -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 6:05:57 PM)

While the proof is in the pudding (once we can finally play), this reveal ticked all the boxes for me that are reasonable to expect/know at this point:
- Faster engine, faster SAVE times
- Better graphics, much better visuals during combat
- Same core gameplay with quality of life tweaks
- UI improvements throughout, looks much more intuitive to navigate, nice graphical map pings as one navigates the UI - these can add so much to "immersion" which is limited impact on gameplay but makes spending time in the game more pleasurable
- Semi random research is a trend in 4X over the past decade (before Stellaris I believe) which I think is a great move as a OPTION - I prefer it, but dislike seeing the complaints elsewhere when its forced (e.g. Stellaris, Shadow Empire)
- Multiplayer as a possible expansion feature is probably the perfect balance - it isn't a priority for me, but I do recognize it helps foster the community, longevity, funding, etc
- Better modding sounds promising

Eager to learn more:
- About any changes in the story features - not details of the story, but how it is presented and affects gameplay, and if that is more moddable too
- Modding details
- Diplomacy and spying changes, if any
- Fleeting management UI

arvcran2 -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 6:24:53 PM)

Roger that! Got the email!

Latisrof -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 6:28:58 PM)

Hey man, where do you sign up for the beta?

rjord2021 -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 6:52:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Latisrof

Hey man, where do you sign up for the beta?

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4949114

Ranbir -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 7:21:59 PM)

DELETE

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 7:24:12 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
It looks almost like DW1 with UI rework and better ship design. The strategic game from what I see is the same.

It's certainly true that it should feel familiar to DW1 fans. With that said, there are a ton of changes especially in the details that are hard to bring out but that make a pretty big difference. We'll show more as time goes on.

Nice stream and lots of info. This looks like a proper sequel in that it keeps everything that made the original great and refining it further. Battles look slower paced and smaller like in sins of a solar empire. Is the combat mechanic going to change from fleet blobs blobbing it up or into a more tactical type battle to maximize the use of all the shiny new techs so positioning and ship loadout count? Would be a shame if it turned into the same method as in dwu in throwing as big a blob of ships at your enemy as possible of the strongest ships possible and brute force your way to victory.

Also is there going to be more involved planet management? Nothing super involved but being able to min/max a planet with an expanded list of structures would be nice. It could be much the same as the old system but put in a slot limit to what you can build and force a choice of what structures you can build instead of just spamming them all over time. To save time in a large empire you could have a custom build order the AI can use to shape your planets based on size and type etc. One last question. Is DW2 going to follow the same format as before and have regular large feature expansions? Plus if the combat is fleshed out well enough I can see several major mod teams jumping over with the usual bag of franchises.

AKicebear -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 7:38:51 PM)

33% new, 33% improved, 33% as expected (i.e. from the original). I think this was stated by Sid Meir as the formula for a good Civ sequel.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 7:45:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
Nice stream and lots of info. This looks like a proper sequel in that it keeps everything that made the original great and refining it further. Battles look slower paced and smaller like in sins of a solar empire.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

quote:

Is the combat mechanic going to change from fleet blobs blobbing it up or into a more tactical type battle to maximize the use of all the shiny new techs so positioning and ship loadout count? Would be a shame if it turned into the same method as in dwu in throwing as big a blob of ships at your enemy as possible of the strongest ships possible and brute force your way to victory.

So far, I think we've succeeded in making combat more interesting and tactical vs. DW1. Obviously having a stronger fleet with the better admiral will always matter a great deal, but there are many other choices involved along the way and I've certainly been able to influence combats I'm watching by slowing things down and making some key tactical choices as well with manually controlled ships.

quote:

Also is there going to be more involved planet management? Nothing super involved but being able to min/max a planet with an expanded list of structures would be nice.

The tech tree is bigger and there are more facility choices as well. The largest change is in more defensive facilities and government control/anti-corruption facilities, but I believe in total there are about 2.5x the facilities we had in DW1 and facilities can now have multiple levels for upgradeability as well.

Facility building can also be automated or manually controlled.

quote:

Is DW2 going to follow the same format as before and have regular large feature expansions? Plus if the combat is fleshed out well enough I can see several major mod teams jumping over with the usual bag of franchises.

To early to to discuss expansion plans in detail, but I expect a mix of playable faction additions and major expansions, most likely.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:03:48 PM)

For those interested, here's the Ackdarian Ship Identification Sheet we showed in the stream:

[image]local://upfiles/9/3C7D6F54E53B479CA2BE13C8FAA6196C.jpg[/image]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:05:24 PM)

Worth noting that currently, Defensive Bases and Small Space Ports share a model. Research, Resort and Monitoring Stations share a model. This is not hard-coded, just what our model sets were designed for at release. Starfighter and various Drone models are not shown here.

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:06:28 PM)

quote:

So far, I think we've succeeded in making combat more interesting and tactical vs. DW1. Obviously having a stronger fleet with the better admiral will always matter a great deal, but there are many other choices involved along the way and I've certainly been able to influence combats I'm watching by slowing things down and making some key tactical choices as well with manually controlled ships.

Excellent. So tactical lite. This is what I most hoped for because I enjoy a good tactical fight as a counterpoint to the strategic empire play but still want to be able to field large fleets of doom once my empire can support them. This sound like it will make early fleet battles more involved but the late game will still revolve around who can send in the biggest hammer to the enemy homeworld.

Ranbir -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:22:08 PM)

Looks like a lot more scrolling for the research tree now x_x

jesuswhywhy -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:23:35 PM)

watching the 1:35hr reveal video now, watched the akdorian trailer

game of my dreams :) ticking all my boxes

Ranbir -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:28:38 PM)

Am I crazy or do the planets no longer orbit their stars?

edit: Just got to it being commented on in the video. Really sad about that tbh. It was a big part of what help me with the living galaxy feel.

I understand the trade off with ships now docking in ports and things but still super sad!

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:31:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir
Looks like a lot more scrolling for the research tree now x_x

If you like scrolling, sure, but the navigation buttons and click to move to queued project aids really help. I find it easier to navigate than the old split research three, all told.

Cauldyth -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:34:32 PM)

quote:

For those interested, here's the Ackdarian Ship Identification Sheet we showed in the stream:

So purty...

Hanekem -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:34:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Handbanana
THIS! OMG im loving it. They are borrowing some stuff from Stellaris, but I like it.

I didn't actually realize this was also in Stellaris, but FWIW this was part of the DW2 plan since before Stellaris was released. I guess you pick from one of three or four visible projects there each time you pick, but under the hood, so to speak, it works in a similar way? A version of this has also been done in other games in the past - research where you only see the next possible project and where the paths can change is not a new idea we came up with, but we loved the idea of it as an option for DW and implemented it in the way we felt best suited to DW.

Regards,

- Erik

To a point, Stellaris uses a card system for research projects. when a proyect completes you get a number of techs that you have access to, there is no tech tree, no visibility and a random angle that you might get the option to, say, research power armor this time but if you don't take the pick you might not get it in the next draw

I do have one question about the ship hulls, these are research items? I undesrtand that having fire angles and 3d models make it more or less a need to have a max number of hardpoint for stuff (weapons and engines, at the very least, things that are in the ships guts, are in the ships guts) but I am worried about the armor and hull factor of the ships, this is an arbitrary factor (hull is 10% armor using the most advanced armor, or not) or can we tinker with it?
if you are going for the latter, creating variants of Hull-X (as opposed to creating a variant of an existent ship), would that be an instant generation or some sort of research "project" (not necesarily a research, but, dunno needing a yard to chug out a hull before you can customize it)

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:39:07 PM)

quote:

I explained this a bit in the stream Q&A, but bottom line is that the the planets still rotate, but they no longer have animated orbits.

Partly this is due to the change in scale, the rest comes down to the difference between having things look ok in 2D where ships and stations moved through each other all the time vs. nice 3D where they need to avoid colliding, enter hangars and docking bays properly, exit construction yards, etc.

Having the orbits match up with the more realistic scale would have meant they would be slow enough that you likely wouldn't notice the movement easily, while at the same time any movement would create a lot more challenges for us in terms of the new 3D mechanism for docking of ships in spaceports and near planets and collision avoidance. We decided ultimately that it wasn't worth adding extremely slow orbits to create a huge amount of extra bugs and work to account for that when we could spend that limited time better elsewhere on other more noticeable features. It's not impossible that orbits may return at some future date, but it's not in the plans right now.

Regards,

- Erik

Ranbir -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:42:23 PM)

quote:

quote:

I explained this a bit in the stream Q&A, but bottom line is that the the planets still rotate, but they no longer have animated orbits.

Partly this is due to the change in scale, the rest comes down to the difference between having things look ok in 2D where ships and stations moved through each other all the time vs. nice 3D where they need to avoid colliding, enter hangars and docking bays properly, exit construction yards, etc.

Having the orbits match up with the more realistic scale would have meant they would be slow enough that you likely wouldn't notice the movement easily, while at the same time any movement would create a lot more challenges for us in terms of the new 3D mechanism for docking of ships in spaceports and near planets and collision avoidance. We decided ultimately that it wasn't worth adding extremely slow orbits to create a huge amount of extra bugs and work to account for that when we could spend that limited time better elsewhere on other more noticeable features. It's not impossible that orbits may return at some future date, but it's not in the plans right now.

Regards,

- Erik

Yeah I edited my post once I got to the bit in the video. I understand the reasonings and I can appreciate the trade offs in what ships do now.

I do hope it returns! It was one of the (many) unique things that DW had over other games. What ballpark in terms of financial incentive to put it in the plans? [:D]

Also is that work possible in modding or is it too core?

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:49:17 PM)

quote:

I too am wondering how far under the hood they will let us this time. It was pretty in depth last time so hopefully it will be the same or even more expansive.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:49:38 PM)

quote:

Yeah I edited my post once I got to the bit in the video. I understand the reasonings and I can appreciate the trade offs in what ships do now.

I do hope it returns! It was one of the (many) unique things that DW had over other games. What ballpark in terms of financial incentive to put it in the plans? [:D]

Not sure on that, we'll see what our thoughts are on all this after release as well as the beta and release feedback we get.

quote:

No, this would be too core to the game in too many ways. It's something really only Elliot could do as far as getting it connected code-wise in all the right places.

Regards,

- Erik

Ric119 -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:56:58 PM)

Game looks amazing, signed up for beta to help you guys improve it. Two questions I have are:

1) As the humans, will they have our Solar system or the option to start in our sol system?

2)In terms of modding, will we be able to overhaul mod the game e.g create a full star wars or star trek mod for the game akin to New Horizons or Fallen Republic?

Thanks for the time.

Miletkir -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 8:58:54 PM)

A screenshot of planetary invasion would be nice before the Beta starts.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds 2 - Showcase (1/26/2021 9:02:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ric119
1) As the humans, will they have our Solar system or the option to start in our sol system?

Well, these aren't exactly "us". In DW lore terms, the ancient humans were more directly connected to Earth and sadly as a result of how the ancient timeline ended you probably wouldn't recognize that solar system in present-day DW. Thus for this release, there likely won't be our system as an option, but if/when we add the more ancient storyline back in, it would make sense to include that then and might make sense in general to add the option to have "defined" rather than procedurally generated home systems as an option. We have some tech that allows for some of that for story purposes already.

quote:

2)In terms of modding, will we be able to overhaul mod the game e.g create a full star wars or star trek mod for the game akin to New Horizons or Fallen Republic?

Yes, that should be entirely possible.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI