RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2

Erik Rutins -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/27/2021 8:32:03 PM)

Yes, there is a bit text file of game text and several XML files with various data.

There are 2D pieces of art, some animated 2D art (basically rigged 2D) and then fully 3D stuff. These are all kept in bundles which the game uses. We have it setup with effectively one bundle per faction and then a core content bundle with the stuff that's not faction-specific.

The planets and nebulas and other backgrounds are done procedurally as far as I know. Not sure what we can or will expose there yet.

There is an in-game editor just like in DW1 and every procedurally generated galaxy has a seed value so that you can re-create it if you really liked it.

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/27/2021 8:37:30 PM)

Will there be a dedicated map editor or a more robust map editing function in the game editor? Things like making templates for an entire system for the random map generator to pull from so if you start as say human you can get the solar system as a default instead of having to manually edit it each time.

Erik Rutins -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/27/2021 8:44:09 PM)

The DW1-style game editor is what will be in the initial release as far as in-game editing tools. Beyond that is more of an expansion subject.

Katarkus87 -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/27/2021 9:38:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

Will there be a dedicated map editor or a more robust map editing function in the game editor? Things like making templates for an entire system for the random map generator to pull from so if you start as say human you can get the solar system as a default instead of having to manually edit it each time.

This would be awesome. [&o]

Icemania -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/28/2021 11:05:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Yes, there is a bit text file of game text and several XML files with various data.

When it comes to the AI will the text files have conditional modifiers?

For example: if in pre-warp then build exploration ships with template X?

If we had just the basics: "IF/THEN/ELSE/AND/OR" we could have AI Mods on a whole other league compared to Distant Worlds 1.

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/28/2021 5:47:23 PM)

Yes please please please make the AI moddable. The AI was made available for modders to chew on with supreme commander because the devs couldn't quite get it right even after release and this dude with the forum name Sorian came in and not only fixed it all up but improved it in ways so beneficial that he got hired by the devs to work on the AI for the sequels.

MaresGoneMild -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/29/2021 1:58:15 AM)

The race mods and the improvements to the AI's research trees and designs were pretty vital to the original distant worlds imo. Some better modding tools would be fantastic, even some minor stuff like mentioned above!

Whiskiz -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/29/2021 6:35:32 AM)

AI is objectively the most important thing especially in a 4X strategy game - majorly affecting the longevity and legacy of a game.

Erik Rutins -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/29/2021 3:46:15 PM)

There are many things that influence the AI and its behavior in the data files, more than in Universe I'd say, but the AI code itself is not moddable. As far as what may be possible in the future, anything is really, but this initial release was aimed at matching Universe's moddability while giving us a great new start to the series. I expect that as in DW1, as time goes on we will listen to the modding community and make more improvements to what can be modded.

Erik Rutins -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/29/2021 4:13:52 PM)

I should add that in terms of the data and what can be done art-wise (as long as you can mod in 3D) more is possible now than in Universe, but whereas Universe (as a release) had modding as it's main goal, this one did not. However, a release similar to Universe will hopefully also come eventually for DW2 to move things even further forward.

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: I assume this uses text files for modability? (1/29/2021 6:37:39 PM)

quote:

There are many things that influence the AI and its behavior in the data files, more than in Universe I'd say, but the AI code itself is not moddable. As far as what may be possible in the future, anything is really, but this initial release was aimed at matching Universe's moddability while giving us a great new start to the series. I expect that as in DW1, as time goes on we will listen to the modding community and make more improvements to what can be modded.

quote:

I should add that in terms of the data and what can be done art-wise (as long as you can mod in 3D) more is possible now than in Universe, but whereas Universe (as a release) had modding as it's main goal, this one did not. However, a release similar to Universe will hopefully also come eventually for DW2 to move things even further forward.

Fair enough. Just licking my lips and twisting my hands over what could be done with a proper 3d 4x game with individual non randomized space combat if enough core access is enabled. Guess that will come in a year or so. [8D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI