Questions about strategic resources (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2

Perry_Rhodan -> Questions about strategic resources (1/30/2021 6:20:10 AM)

Hey ... I'm genuinely curious why the choice of non-existing elements for strategic resources?

I know it can be modded out and it does not bother me much, but still why have Caslon and not say metallic hydrogen or fusion cell? Just curious, not offense meant [:D]

Also, is it possible to have manufactured resources? Like the afore mentioned fusion cells that would derive from the extraction of a natural resource? (obviously I'm talking of modding here, I guess the devs won't change this aspect now that beta comes).

Seems indeed strange that your stellar empire only depends of natural resources, be them strategic or luxury and not from refined resources. That would give a nice 'logistic chain' also, like you transform natural resource A to refined resource B and then to luxury resource C.

Again, I'm not saying the model is better than the current one, just thinking aloud about modding, is it possible?

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Questions about strategic resources (1/30/2021 6:32:27 AM)

I think they have some of their own element names so they can have a bit of their own flair to their sci fi world. Much like trek has dilithium crystals.

battlefield91 -> RE: Questions about strategic resources (1/30/2021 6:34:49 AM)

I am also very interested about such possibilities of further processed raw materials. So the possibility to have important industry on your key colonies.

This would also have many implications in terms of warfare, since blocking such colonies can cripple the whole (war) economy.

Miletkir -> RE: Questions about strategic resources (1/30/2021 10:34:47 AM)

Good point. But I'm smelling it'll have to come from modding. Rebalancing resource availability with a layer of manufacturing would be a lot of work I expect.

Perry_Rhodan -> RE: Questions about strategic resources (1/30/2021 12:37:40 PM)

Probably, but perhaps it is not possible to make a planet produces a resource? Or if that's possible, can a resource be consumed to produce another?

I'm not trying to convert DW into Anno though [:D]

Miletkir -> RE: Questions about strategic resources (1/30/2021 1:20:04 PM)

Planets do have resources tied to them, it's just that AFAIK, like in DW:U, there won't be second level manufacturing and refinement and they will be used raw. But resource refinement would certainly add a very interesting dimension to the game.

OnePercent -> RE: Questions about strategic resources (1/30/2021 10:52:20 PM)

It's a scifi, so it will have handwavium stuff in it.

I think a hard-scifi mod of the game with a full periodic table of elements + compounds would be pretty epic though.

Think: Children of a Dead Earth: But in Distant Worlds.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Questions about strategic resources (1/31/2021 12:35:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perry_Rhodan
I know it can be modded out and it does not bother me much, but still why have Caslon and not say metallic hydrogen or fusion cell? Just curious, not offense meant [:D]

Frankly, partly inertia and partly because DW is meant to feel a bit like an alternate reality rather than pure hard sci-fi. There's nothing wrong with folks modding in all real resources if they prefer. I think that type of mod could be very interesting.

quote:

Also, is it possible to have manufactured resources? Like the afore mentioned fusion cells that would derive from the extraction of a natural resource? (obviously I'm talking of modding here, I guess the devs won't change this aspect now that beta comes).

The manufacturing on planets themselves is somewhat abstracted. Colonies require both construction resources and luxury resources for maximum growth and development. Some facilities, research projects and all construction requires resources. Adding an extra layer of "refined" resources that exist in effect as a translation of a lower level was something we did consider way back but decided would not add enough for the extra work in both AI and UI that it would take.

As far as whether it's possible for modding, I'm not entirely sure. Looking at what you can do with resources and facilities, I don't see any way right now to "process" a resource, but maybe someone else is more creative in figuring something out.

I do see how this could be cool and within the context of a more realistic modded version of DW2 it would certainly fit right in. If not possible in the release, it's certainly something we could consider for future modding support.

Regards,

- Erik

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI