Font size (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2

Jim D Burns -> Font size (2/2/2021 6:06:04 PM)

Just watched one of Das Tactics videos. Please tell me the Font size can be increased. Couldn't read half the stuff on screen. I'd say 50%+ size increase is needed for my old eyes to have any chance of playing the game. The text boxes and menus all appear to have plenty of room to increase text size.

Jim

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Font size (2/2/2021 6:39:06 PM)

Can't say if individual text size can be independently increased but they will have an option to scale the entire ui so you might be able to pick a slightly larger scale. I solved my long in the tooth eyesight issues by getting a big screen tv to use as a pc panel. At this point they are basically just bigger pc screens with more electronics so they can use all the different av devices. A perk to getting a tv is that they tend to have nice hardware scalers built in to upscale lower res video and it works just the same on a pc input. This will allow for much higher quality if you use a lower resolution to increase frames than a pc panel or using the poor upscalers the most gpu have unless you have one of the new 30xx cards which finally introduces a quality hardware scaler which is just as good as the ones in the tv.

zgrssd -> RE: Font size (2/2/2021 6:54:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Just watched one of Das Tactics videos. Please tell me the Font size can be increased. Couldn't read half the stuff on screen. I'd say 50%+ size increase is needed for my old eyes to have any chance of playing the game. The text boxes and menus all appear to have plenty of room to increase text size.

Jim

Das said several times that there was some resolution missmatch, that made the video appear blurrier then it was.

Cubano -> RE: Font size (2/3/2021 1:38:53 AM)

The font scaling question came up in Steam as well. Was that answered?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Font size (2/3/2021 2:18:56 AM)

I wouldn't go by the videos as to font clarity. The fonts and text are _much_ more readable for me than in DW1 and the game and interface scale with your resolution. I might do a side by side shot this week to help illustrate that.

Jim D Burns -> RE: Font size (2/4/2021 9:09:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
I solved my long in the tooth eyesight issues by getting a big screen tv to use as a pc panel.

I did the same, bought a 60" TV a couple of years ago. Problem is you can't sit closer than 12-15 feet in front of such a large screen if you want to see the entire screen at once, so font size is still an issue for me with some games.

Jim

Kolpo -> RE: Font size (3/10/2021 2:00:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I wouldn't go by the videos as to font clarity. The fonts and text are _much_ more readable for me than in DW1 and the game and interface scale with your resolution. I might do a side by side shot this week to help illustrate that.

Very glad to hear this but I would suggest to add this to the DW2 steam store page and add this to your FAQ

UI scaling is very important for many and issues with that is why I had to refund DW1. But I now plan to buy DW2 because it has UI scaling.

Just made an account to let you know how important UI scaling is :)

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Font size (3/11/2021 1:14:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
I solved my long in the tooth eyesight issues by getting a big screen tv to use as a pc panel.

I did the same, bought a 60" TV a couple of years ago. Problem is you can't sit closer than 12-15 feet in front of such a large screen if you want to see the entire screen at once, so font size is still an issue for me with some games.

Jim

For DW1 I finally settled with an off the shelf 40" Proscan TV. It was as large as I dare go...and set up a command station with a great office chair and a stand to swing the keyboard in front of me when I was ready to play my galactic sandbox. So..this worked to read the text if I was perfectly placed about 5 to 6 feet from the screen...depending on the strength of readers I was wearing. Seemed I was swapping strengths quite a bit as the session wore on...but it worked haha.

I think the most I was disappointed with in DW1 was the font..the font size..and the UI. Everything was and is still great. The best 4x game of any genre imho...and I have been playing them since 'Reach for the Stars' which came out in 1984.

I can't wait for DW2.......

The Gnome -> RE: Font size (6/22/2021 5:54:06 PM)

Just to add, not only is the font size important, but, the typeface and contrast between typeface color and background are equally important.

Miletkir -> RE: Font size (6/23/2021 4:22:59 AM)

Erik's answer added to FAQ - I will add a link to compared screenshots if they come up. Personally, I would have preferred a change of font type also for clarity.

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Font size (6/23/2021 5:20:46 AM)

Hopefully you can mod in whatever font you want. Lots of little QoL features like that can go in if they planned it from the start and they did say modding access was a part of the development process.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI