2 questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

bush -> 2 questions (2/28/2021 7:11:36 PM)

One is procedural one is info related.

Procedural. (First, do I get a prize for asking the 10,000th question about pilot training?) If as Allied I am using a VRF torpedo squadron and training in the RECON skill. Eventually I pull some trained pilots and place them in the reserves. My question is, do they go to the section for BOMBERS or to PATROL? And related to that, and perhaps making my first question moot, when I am extracting a pilot-if I have a CV-based TBD squadron that has been doing nothing but recce missions. When I pull from reserves (and NOT manually looking but just using the Get Pilot buttons, does the computer look at the main mission my sqd. needs and it pulls a pilot with that type of training, or does it first go to bombers?

Second question - I am late in the war (March '45) and I have not seen either of the Spragues as CV commanders and/or available as TF ldrs. Are they absent from the game?

Thanks!

Q-Ball -> RE: 2 questions (2/28/2021 7:15:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bush

Procedural. (First, do I get a prize for asking the 10,000th question about pilot training?) If as Allied I am using a VRF torpedo squadron and training in the RECON skill. Eventually I pull some trained pilots and place them in the reserves. My question is, do they go to the section for BOMBERS or to PATROL? And related to that, and perhaps making my first question moot, when I am extracting a pilot-if I have a CV-based TBD squadron that has been doing nothing but recce missions. When I pull from reserves (and NOT manually looking but just using the Get Pilot buttons, does the computer look at the main mission my sqd. needs and it pulls a pilot with that type of training, or does it first go to bombers?

Second question - I am late in the war (March '45) and I have not seen either of the Spragues as CV commanders and/or available as TF ldrs. Are they absent from the game?

Thanks!

The pilots from the VRF unit will always go to the bomber pool. You can request them to a RECON unit though by just getting veterans from the bomber pool (sort by Recon skill)

No idea on the Spragues

geofflambert -> RE: 2 questions (2/28/2021 7:22:55 PM)

The group the pilots go to is based on the aircraft they trained in. Each squadron that you might use for training is limited in the type of aircraft available to it. Some squadrons have planes in various categories available to it, so even if the squadron is allowed to upgrade to a fighter plane if it trains in a bomber the trained pilot when released will go to the bomber pool if trained on a bomber or to the patrol if trained on a float plane etc. and so forth. Float fighters release to the fighter reserve group, not patrol.

BBfanboy -> RE: 2 questions (2/28/2021 10:12:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

Thanks!

The pilots from the VRF unit will always go to the bomber pool. You can request them to a RECON unit though by just getting veterans from the bomber pool (sort by Recon skill)

No idea on the Spragues

Many leaders show up later in the game. The Spragues are surely among these. Use the Editor to look in your Scenario's database under the Leaders tab. Type in the last name and an initial and it should go to that leader (or a previously arriving leader with the same name and initial - just tell the Editor to keep searching further down from there).

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/1/2021 9:35:14 AM)

The Sprague have a problem in stock, they’re Rear Admirals but defined as Ship-type leaders.

Sardaukar -> RE: 2 questions (3/1/2021 11:07:57 AM)

Some good Air commanders are also CV captains. Worth to replace and thus enable to command CVTF. Mitcher and Sherman.

Ian R -> RE: 2 questions (3/1/2021 11:08:42 AM)

If you add their CV to the TF last, they will be the TF CO.

This also works with Mitscher (arrives on Hornet IIRC), and one other guy (Ted Sherman?).

They however are rated as TF leaders so once you remove them from their original carrier they are TF only.

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/1/2021 11:22:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Some good Air commanders are also CV captains. Worth to replace and thus enable to command CVTF. Mitcher and Sherman.

Yes, but they are assigned to the ships in the editor. Once removed from their ship, you can’t assign them to ships but only to TF, as this is the type of command set by the editor.

ÉDIT: yeah, I should have read Ian R’s post before answering, I just said the same thing.[:D]

Ian R -> RE: 2 questions (3/1/2021 11:35:41 AM)

I just double checked scenario 1, and the Spragues are in the ship captain leader category, although they are admiral rank.

This of course makes them a cheap and efficient short cut - if you pay (once) to put them on an Essex (or one of the standard CVEs) and always select their carrier last, you get a PP free admiral.

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/1/2021 11:43:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

I just double checked scenario 1, and the Spragues are in the ship captain leader category, although they are admiral rank.

This of course makes them a cheap and efficient short cut - if you pay (once) to put them on an Essex (or one of the standard CVEs) and always select their carrier last, you get a PP free admiral.

You can’t select them as ship captains. I suppose it’s due to their rank.

Ian R -> RE: 2 questions (3/1/2021 8:19:23 PM)

I see what you mean. At least you get twin Spruances to make up for it.

bush -> RE: 2 questions (3/2/2021 12:09:42 AM)

When I am in the editor and click on a category - in this case leaders - NOTHING happens At all. So, those of you saying the Spragues are listed as ship captains, does it list the ship?

Ian R -> RE: 2 questions (3/2/2021 12:31:20 AM)

Which scenario database did you load?

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/2/2021 8:35:01 AM)

When you launch the Editor, you have to select « File » then « Open Scenario ... » to load a database. Only then will you have datas to consult and/or modify.

And once done editing (if you don’t limit yourself to consult but actually mod the scenario), never forget to « Save Scenario » or « Save Scenario As ... » or you’ll lose everything you’ve changed.[;)]

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/2/2021 9:01:03 AM)

quote:

I see what you mean. At least you get twin Spruances to make up for it.

Yeah, a peculiarity of the USN Headquarter leaders.[:D]

Another « feature » of stock Scenario 1 is that Clifton Sprague is assigned to command PT-74...[8|]

Alfred -> RE: 2 questions (3/2/2021 12:43:39 PM)

quote:

When I am in the editor and click on a category - in this case leaders - NOTHING happens At all. So, those of you saying the Spragues are listed as ship captains, does it list the ship?

In the Editor, leaders pre-assigned to a specific ships are displayed on the ship list. The leader list does not display any ship they are pre-assigned to.

Alfred

PaxMondo -> RE: 2 questions (3/2/2021 5:11:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

In the Editor, leaders pre-assigned to a specific ships are displayed on the ship list. The leader list does not display any ship they are pre-assigned to.

Alfred

Yes, it is an unfortunate "feature". If you export the files to csv's, then you can link the ship and leader files and get the ship AND the date that the leader will start on that ship added into the leader file. it is one of the more common lookups you have to do when modding ...

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/2/2021 5:29:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Alfred

Yes, it is an unfortunate "feature". If you export the files to csv's, then you can link the ship and leader files and get the ship AND the date that the leader will start on that ship added into the leader file. it is one of the more common lookups you have to do when modding ...

You get all that in Tracker.

RhinoDad -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 8:23:13 AM)

Most pilots trained and sent to reserve seem to be self evident as to what category they will be put under and drawn from. Fighter to Fighter, Bomber to Bomber, Search to Search; however, what category do “Float Plane” go to and draw from?

Thayne -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 9:31:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RhinoDad

Most pilots trained and sent to reserve seem to be self evident as to what category they will be put under and drawn from. Fighter to Fighter, Bomber to Bomber, Search to Search; however, what category do “Float Plane” go to and draw from?

"Patrol", typically. Unless it is a float fighter, in which case it is "fighter"

HansBolter -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 12:35:32 PM)

Something to be aware of when pulling pilots from reserve to a squadron is the list of skills that will be used for the selection. This list is present in the squadron interface.

One issue I have run into is with squadrons that can convert from bomber types to fighter types. I recently converted several Wirraway squadrons to Beaufighters. Immediately after conversion, the list of skills to be used in selecting pilots from reserve reflects the bomber skills the squadron had previously been increasing. Obviously, this won't help if trying to pull pilots with Air skill in the squadron. Below is a screenshot of a squadron newly converted that still has its skill list dominated by bomber skills.

[image]local://upfiles/21458/01007841F21347F6890BA0DAF3126DA4.jpg[/image]

HansBolter -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 12:39:19 PM)

Here is a squadron that converted earlier and has spent time training the Air skill. The Air skill now appears in the list of skills, but ASW (a skill the Wirraways were training) is still in the list.

The slow updating of the list has caused me to hold off trying to switch out the bomber pilots for fighter pilots.
It might be easier to start over with raw Replacements and train them up in Fighter skills.

[image]local://upfiles/21458/9FBE64824D8E443281C593CFBBF6B7BC.jpg[/image]

USSAmerica -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 2:10:40 PM)

Hans, I thought that list of "Major Skills" was only an indication of the higher skills the pilots were trained in as a group. I didn't know it had any impact on pulling pilots from the Reserve. Are you sure the pilots you get with this method are selected by the pre-existing skills of the other pilots already in the squadron?

I guess I've never seen anything like this mostly because I tend to use the "Request Veteran" method, then sort and select who I want to draw into the squadron myself.

bush -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 2:32:10 PM)

Ambassador - I found Ziggy! Just like you said, on PT 74. So I have to start looking at all my ships to discover if his brother is buried somewhere similar. What a task. (By the way, I am playing DBB-C)

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 3:44:11 PM)

quote:

Ambassador - I found Ziggy! Just like you said, on PT 74. So I have to start looking at all my ships to discover if his brother is buried somewhere similar. What a task. (By the way, I am playing DBB-C)

I would have thought the DBB designers would have fixed it.[&:]

If you use WitP Tracker, the task is easier. Just open the Leaders screen, and sort them by name (or ID if you know the ID), et voila !

It is a good habit to take, on the long run, to check every single ship or unit you receive, the turn you receive them. I sometimes found good leaders on base forces, or in restricted units.

EDIT : regarding the Sprague in DBB, I just checked the A version (the only one currently installed on my laptop), and both of them are still encoded as Ship-type leaders. Finding them will be of no use, as you can’t reassign them on either a ship (too high a rank) or TF (not the correct type).

Ian R -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 4:07:26 PM)

Hans, why are you training them at 11 range? Do you see some advantage in that (as opposed to minimising fatigue and ops losses at zero range)?

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Here is a squadron that converted earlier and has spent time training the Air skill. The Air skill now appears in the list of skills, but ASW (a skill the Wirraways were training) is still in the list.

The slow updating of the list has caused me to hold off trying to switch out the bomber pilots for fighter pilots.
It might be easier to start over with raw Replacements and train them up in Fighter skills.

[image]local://upfiles/21458/9FBE64824D8E443281C593CFBBF6B7BC.jpg[/image]

Ian R -> RE: 2 questions (3/3/2021 4:25:27 PM)

quote:

Bush, because you are playing DBB-C (so the scenario data base is editable) there is a way you could manipulate things so Ziggy Sprague is in charge of a Casablanca CVE, for ex. Unfortunately the ship will be named CVE "PT-74", that you can't change in a saved game.

Ambassador -> RE: 2 questions (3/4/2021 6:24:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Hans, I thought that list of "Major Skills" was only an indication of the higher skills the pilots were trained in as a group. I didn't know it had any impact on pulling pilots from the Reserve. Are you sure the pilots you get with this method are selected by the pre-existing skills of the other pilots already in the squadron?

I guess I've never seen anything like this mostly because I tend to use the "Request Veteran" method, then sort and select who I want to draw into the squadron myself.

Doing the same as you.

Bumping this question for Hans. I’d be interested in the answer too.

quote:

quote:

Bush, because you are playing DBB-C (so the scenario data base is editable) there is a way you could manipulate things so Ziggy Sprague is in charge of a Casablanca CVE, for ex. Unfortunately the ship will be named CVE "PT-74", that you can't change in a saved game.

And if you’re not careful, you’ll end up with 300 extra CVE...

RangerJoe -> RE: 2 questions (3/4/2021 6:47:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

Doing the same as you.

quote:

quote:

I really don't think that the Japanese would worry about that since they would not have all of those PT Boats to worry about. [;)]

Could you just imagine creating CVEs with just some supply . . . [X(]

Ian R -> RE: 2 questions (3/4/2021 10:13:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

Doing the same as you.

quote:

quote:

Not if you do it as a conversion - and then afterwards delete the bind. That means it would have to be done in the CONUS, and maybe at San Fransisco only.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI