BAR: Before Action Reports (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> AAR

Yellowcactus -> BAR: Before Action Reports (3/21/2021 4:19:29 PM)

Thanks for the Feedback. I'm starting to understand how Supply really works. Your land and air units are really on a short leash. Overstep supply and the whole operation is going to fall apart. Operational movement is a critical function that new players should use when you need a unit on the front line asap. Even if you are only moving a few extra tiles, having units in the right spot is critical to success.

Starting with Production and War Entry
Each side needs to consider the diplomatic effects of their actions. War readiness dictates both production income and war entry. Some of the Options are minor, some have major effects, and some have a series of effects. I've been learning them as I go, which is a bad way to learn them. Some examples are listed below with my newbie understanding explaining what happens.
1. Germany invades Norway: I think if you don't invade Norway as Germany, you will always lose 40+ income to Allied convoy Raids. There may be something I'm missing here. Probably the Allies move closer to war if you choose to invade.
2. Annexing Lithuania: Don't do it unless you are Germany invading in 1940. 25%+ war entry basically doubles USSR from 25% to 50% production.
3. Germany/Italians adjacent to Cairo: This seems to trigger several events, most of which favor the Allies. Don't go there unless you have a solid plan.
4. Allies can shut out Finland from the war 50% of the time by intervening in the USSR winter war. If successful, Finland doesn't join the invasion of USSR but USSR has reduced war readiness (Production during 1940).

Movement and Supply
Depending on the combat role, movement can be insanely powerful or woefully inadequate. I've seen mechanized units in China move 5 tiles then attack, seeming to come from nowhere. But in bad weather, movement is very different. Action Points sometimes start the turn less than 100%. This is probably a supply issue. Mobility is one of the most expensive upgrades for land units.
1. The 'S' button has two modes. The first shows your supply. Not sure about the second time you press 'S'. Maybe supply everywhere?

Naval Warfare
This is probably my weakest area of understanding. I've seen some clear strategies, but some remain uncertain.
1. If you can find enemy ships in Port, strike them with CV and NAV.
2. After engaging enemy ships at sea, use your extra movement to change positions. It's better for your navy if locations are not known at the beginning of enemy turn.
3. Surface ships barrage ports and enemy land units on coastal tiles. Your ships take damage when engaging enemy ports and supply sources. They don't take damage while shelling land units outside of towns.
4. Naval barricades and convoy routes. I see the UK shutting down the Norway Convoy route with ease and steadily. Not sure what effects on production barricading a harbor has. I can see it reduces supply.
5. Subs have two movement types. I rarely change them from silent movement and usually end up with a destroyer group or four hunting before UK convoys even show signs of loss.

Research and Diplomacy
Research is tricky. I always need 'just one more corp' on the front line, but that MPP needs to go into research so that your opponent doesn't blow you away next year with the newest unstoppable upgrades. Each nation has different needs.
1. Everyone needs infantry weapon upgrades asap!
2. I'm too new to advise on national research. I've seen USSR strong with upgrades during Barbarossa, but USSR's production is subject to Germany's early game decisions. You may not always have the same options in every game.
3. I've been trying to get Spain to join the war as the Axis. I'm still on my first play throughs so not sure how this will go but it's clear that Diplomacy with Minors requires patience and a Plan B if things don't go as planned.

More later, feedback is welcome. This thread is a work in progress.

Malagant -> RE: BAR: Before Action Reports (3/25/2021 10:04:06 PM)

This is a really great idea. As a new player I love hearing others ideas, thanks!

Platoonist -> RE: BAR: Before Action Reports (3/25/2021 11:05:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yellowcactus

Hello All,
Currently, I'm having trouble turning Iraqi oil into German/Italian MPPs. The Iraqi joined the AXIS then Italy captured Syria. Should I somehow create a new convoy?

No, as a player you can't create convoys. An event like that would have to be coded or edited in I think. You should be receiving the MPPS generated by the Iraqi oilfields all the same though, assuming you control them.

Platoonist -> RE: BAR: Before Action Reports (3/25/2021 11:34:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yellowcactus

1. The 'S' button has two modes. The first shows your supply. Not sure about the second time you press 'S'. Maybe supply everywhere?

Yes, basically pressing 'S' the second time is giving you a preview of what supply level you'd receive in each hex in your next turn, including in enemy territory you don't control yet. It also takes into account repairs to towns and ports.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI