(Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket

jmeyer7000both -> (8/26/2003 12:28:34 PM)

I second the motion for a zoom feature. Just ran TAO2 and reveled in the size of the units and the accessibility of the terrain information. (The units actually looked a bit too big, and, yes, I wanted a larger zoomed-out view sorta like KP's for TAO.) But, with KP it’s a chore for me to pick out all of the detail – forts, strongpoints, mines, remnants, roads, rivers, etc., often amidst a sea of tiny units. (Chores are not fun.) The current KP display is fine for Big Picture planning and movement, but for the sharp end, it’s not as user friendly or as engaging as a zoomed-in view. Yes, please, next to fixing some bugs to allow me to actually play KP, adding a zoomed-in view of say, anywhere form 10-15 hexes across would add an incredible dimension to the series. Again, it's not that I can't make do with the current KP display, it's just not as easy, fun, or engaging as having a smaller sized chunk of the map available to work-out a local tactical puzzle.

Cheers,
Jim M

soeren -> (8/26/2003 8:45:32 PM)

[QUOTE=Adam Parker]On both a 19 inch CRT - and a laptop giving 15 inch pure (eg a 17 inch CRT view) I cannot understand why a desire for a zoom exists.

Both screen sizes look fine to me - the most important unit inormation is contained on the right hand side unit bar area and the right click pop-up screens.

If people are finding it hard to manage the map due to its brightness or eyesight I recommend playing with hex overlay on. It both subtely darkens the map and provides an extra focal point.

I think that SSG recognized that TAO1 and 2 offered too small a viewable map area and has made a sound decision in the resolution provided with the game. I hope that answers your concern too CBase. The viewable map of TAO1 was a lot like Age of Rifles to me. Nice effort but too small. Not so KP/TAO3.

Adam.[/QUOTE]

I played it on an 21" Monitor, and believe me, a zoom would have helped my poor eyes a lot.

Jeff Lackey -> (8/27/2003 1:30:05 AM)

[QUOTE=Adam Parker]On both a 19 inch CRT - and a laptop giving 15 inch pure (eg a 17 inch CRT view) I cannot understand why a desire for a zoom exists.

Both screen sizes look fine to me - the most important unit inormation is contained on the right hand side unit bar area and the right click pop-up screens.

If people are finding it hard to manage the map due to its brightness or eyesight I recommend playing with hex overlay on. It both subtely darkens the map and provides an extra focal point.

Adam.[/QUOTE]

I've played it on a 19" Trinitron and a 15" Dell Notebook screen. On the notebook screen in particular I found myself wishing I could do a zoom. It wasn't that it was completely required, just that it would have been nice and would have made things a little easier (e.g., I've sometimes mistaken a tiny grey dot in the upper left corner for an orange dot, or vice versa.)

Options are always nice to have. Obviously there are people for whom a Zoom function would be a welcome addition, and others who feel they would never use it. Obviously options also add to the development time/costs, so that's a decision the team has to make. For my two cents' worth, I'd like them to consider it for future installments of the system (and would LOVE to have it in a patch, but I imagine that's too much for a patch.)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI