Kudos and fatigue model question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket

benpark -> Kudos and fatigue model question (8/28/2003 11:02:37 PM)

First off, let me commend the makers of Korsun Pocket (and WamR). The game is getting better and better each time I play it. The scale is perfect-East Front on the same scale would be my dream game...ten years of wargaming enjoyment.

The AI is freaking me out as well, the best I have yet seen in a game. Soviets, US and Germans all attack according to historical doctrine, try to avoid pocketing, and try to encircle my troops. Right on!
Looking forward to Normandy-and ya better do Stalingrad-all of it from German advance to the bitter end. Thank you for a game VERY well done.

Awright, enough sap-

How is unit fatigue modelled in the game? I can't find it in the manual. If the turns are 12 hours, and a unit is in constant movement and combat for most of the game time in a large scenario (20+ turns)-shouldn't these troops have a penalty after 2-3 days of movement/combat that can be eradicated with a turns rest?

Adam Parker -> (8/29/2003 5:58:20 AM)

My take is that as with all things morale, there is a lot of abstraction built into the engine on the subject of fatigue too - not a real problem as a balance of abstraction and detail is what makes a game playable and enjoyable imo.

My take on fatigue is that it is built into the replacement system. ie: as for say Panzer Campaigns where fatigue is considered "operational fatigue" - not the "tiredess" of troops, the frequency with which we are able to allocate replacements in KP and in which timed replacements occur, simulates the operational fatigue recovery process.

A unit down to 1 step can be a great liability if not pulled out of the line and is usually useless on the attack too - particularly if its entire division is reduced to a single step per unit. And this is precisely the strategy needing to be employed with highly fatigued units in Panzer Campaigns.

I recently learned the hard way how weak even a division comprising "2 step" units can be. One of the Russian cavalry divisions comprising the 2nd Front, which as we know has three of its regiments at full strength with 2 steps, took positions before the SS Wiking and forgot to dig in. The Wiking and elements of 2 other German divisions immediately swarmed and attacked from three sides for a D2! I've since restarted that game :rolleyes:

Gregor_SSG -> (8/29/2003 11:38:05 AM)

[QUOTE=benpark]
How is unit fatigue modelled in the game? I can't find it in the manual. If the turns are 12 hours, and a unit is in constant movement and combat for most of the game time in a large scenario (20+ turns)-shouldn't these troops have a penalty after 2-3 days of movement/combat that can be eradicated with a turns rest?[/QUOTE]

We didn't think that fatigue needed to be modelled in KP. The combination of the supply and combat systems, along with the fact that you can't attack and take a replacement in the same turn mean that it's usually impossible for a unit to string too many attacks together.

Gregor

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI