RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Alpha77 -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/4/2021 8:10:22 PM)

@BBfanboy: I doubt Fireflies were in the Burma area at all (or Pacific) they were needed in Europe just like the TDs mentioned in this thread. Eg. mostly Hellcats could not play out their main advantage anyway (= agility and speed)so it would also be not logical to send them to the pacific at all - only later when more were produced and German tank force mostly neutralized.

@Blackhorse: Sounds reasonable and after a 2nd thought it might be a useless discussion anyways. There won´t be major updates. But if I am in a data or micromanagement mood again I still might post the issues [:'(]

BBfanboy -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/4/2021 11:30:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

@BBfanboy: I doubt Fireflies were in the Burma area at all (or Pacific) they were needed in Europe just like the TDs mentioned in this thread. Eg. mostly Hellcats could not play out their main advantage anyway (= agility and speed)so it would also be not logical to send them to the pacific at all - only later when more were produced and German tank force mostly neutralized.

@Blackhorse: Sounds reasonable and after a 2nd thought it might be a useless discussion anyways. There won´t be major updates. But if I am in a data or micromanagement mood again I still might post the issues [:'(]

The post I was referring to mentioned superior Sherman stats in the database, and the game can potentially go into 1946. There is a possibility that the entry about Shermans in the database referred to a model that was put there to be available in late 1945 or 1946. That could be the British Firefly Sherman. The invasion of Japan would call for every tank the Allies could muster, if I was planning it. Let the civilians with sharpened sticks try and deal with those![:D]

EDIT: RJ's post suggests an afterthought: The Western Allies might send the Firefly to the Pacific to keep the T-34s in check if Stalin got too greedy!

Alpha77 -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/5/2021 12:53:32 AM)

Yes you bring up one of the issues I spoke about, there is a British Sherman V in the database, with higher stats. However it a) arrives too early to be a Firefly and b) is not indicated to be a 17pdr armed tank.

You also have a soviet Sherman (lend lease) but I believe only 1 US Sherman (I mean outside the flame and 105mm). Which is wrong, there should be 2 x 75mm US Shermans (can be called eg. early and late) plus at least 1x 76mm Sherman (or even 2x too if we count the late easy8 modell)

Your reasons for Firefly in Pacific are all valid and certainly would be done in reality if an invsion of the homelands had happened, but when? Late 1945 ? But the British "better" Sherman appears already in end of 43 or early 44 (going from memory)

The "early" US Sherman would be weaker then the "late" one, people might think Shermans did not change much, that is mostly true for the 75mm gun, but the later Shermans had eg. better running gear/tracks, better armor and most importantly wet storage for the ammo.

RangerJoe -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/5/2021 1:16:18 AM)

quote:

Yes you bring up one of the issues I spoke about, there is a British Sherman V in the database, with higher stats. However it a) arrives too early to be a Firefly and b) is not indicated to be a 17pdr armed tank.

You also have a soviet Sherman (lend lease) but I believe only 1 US Sherman (I mean outside the flame and 105mm). Which is wrong, there should be 2 x 75mm US Shermans (can be called eg. early and late) plus at least 1x 76mm Sherman (or even 2x too if we count the late easy8 modell)

Your reasons for Firefly in Pacific are all valid and certainly would be done in reality if an invsion of the homelands had happened, but when? Late 1945 ? But the British "better" Sherman appears already in end of 43 or early 44 (going from memory)

The "early" US Sherman would be weaker then the "late" one, people might think Shermans did not change much, that is mostly true for the 75mm gun, but the later Shermans had eg. better running gear/tracks, better armor and most importantly wet storage for the ammo.

How is the improved durability modeled in the game for AFVs?[&:]

I am having problems with my keyboard.

BBfanboy -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/5/2021 2:00:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Ho is the improved durability modeled in the game for AFVs?[&:]

How did high durability 'ho's get into this? [&:]

Alpha77 -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/5/2021 1:38:29 PM)

The Brit Sherman 100% is an error:

Sherman V (UK): 12/43 Pen 120 Armor 60 AntiA 120 (!)
Sherman (US): 12/42 / 62 / 45 / 62

This should be the same like the US Sherman Brits had the same armor and gun.. except later ofc with the Firefly. But this is not a Firefly, Arrival to early and at this time there were no Fireflys in Asia (perhaps they send 1-2 or for trials in the area?)

Also has the ACC like the 75mm "normal" Sherman if it would be a 17pdr ACC would be higher.

Also why has the Brit one armor 60? Even IF it would be a Firefly, this had the same armor like the M4/75

Also T34/85 5/44 / 88 / 50 / 88 Only 5 more armor than the early Sherman ? Naah[:'(]

Someone liked the British it seems... as Mathilda is also overrated. In this case the Anti Soft is too high 2pdr had no HE shell, well there was one, but not issued to most tank units and appearing later. So we can only count the MGs and a low value HE value for the gun. Plus perhaps a "shock" value for the infantry attacked by Mathildes early on. The armor is too high, Mathilda had oldschool not angled armor.

Ian R -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/7/2021 12:04:08 PM)

quote:

Mathilda is also overrated. In this case the Anti Soft is too high 2pdr had no HE shell, well there was one, but not issued to most tank units and appearing later. So we can only count the MGs and a low value HE value for the gun. Plus perhaps a "shock" value for the infantry attacked by Mathildes early on. The armor is too high, Mathilda had oldschool not angled armor.

May I please ask what the source of your understanding of the armament, and ammunition loads, of the Matilda II in SWPAC use by the Australian Armoured Corps is?

Alpha77 -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/10/2021 4:24:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

May I please ask what the source of your understanding of the armament, and ammunition loads, of the Matilda II in SWPAC use by the Australian Armoured Corps is?

Does the game have a seperate Mathilda for the Aussies ?
Can you point me to the device so I can take a look at it
Thanks[:)]

PS: If you hinting at the howitzer armed Mathilda, I am aware of this version - but have not found it in game.
I am using stock values here of course

Ian R -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/10/2021 7:31:46 PM)

No, there is only one Matilda, but only the AMF use it. It is device #1097. And the howitzer armed version is not separately represented. Nor is the flamethrower version. Could they have been represented separately like the various M4 sub types? Perhaps, but they are not so it's possibly just factored in. But here are a few key points.

First, the AIF 43 infantry section (with one Bren gun) has a higher anti soft rating than the Matilda. A coaxial BESA with lots of ammo in a moving pill box, you would think, might have a better a/s value than a bipod LMG, but the developers didn't think so. Over -rated? I would say no. But there is more.

Secondly, the weapon mix, and ammunition mix, of Matilda IIs in AMF use in the SWPAC theatre was not the same as in the 1940-41 period in UK use.

(a) Instead of 2 (or maybe only 1) CS tanks per squadron (initially intended to throw smoke) as originally issued, in SWPAC we used at least one per troop of 3 tanks, usually the troop commander's mount. Some troops were entirely comprised of CS tanks.

(b) The APBC solid shot was found to be effective for bunker busting. (With splintering hard wood instead of spalling metal.) The 3" howitzer was preferred though.

(c) A new improved HE round was developed. See photo below. Apparently it wasn't as useless as the original one.

(d) 25 Matilda FROGS were converted. As there were only a few regiments operational, these were ultimately deployed in multiple vehicle formations.

I would argue the anti-soft value of the Matilda should be fashioned so as to represent the significant proportion of 3" CS howitzer armed tanks, and the FROGs. The anti-soft of the Sherman flame tank (device #1182) is 96, and the effect is 200. The M3 Lee with a relatively short barrelled sponson mounted limited traverse 75mm howitzer (device #1179) is 31/12. Th at suggests to me the mixed model Matilda regiments fielded by the Australian army should be somewhere near the M3 at least, and are currently undervalued.

The tank in the foreground has a 3", the far tank a 40mm (2lbr).

[image]https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/image11-640x475.jpg[/image]

Also, here is some useful HE ammo being loaded for later use:

[image]https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/image23-1.jpg[/image]

And, a froggy.

[image]https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/image20-1.jpg[/image]

RangerJoe -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/10/2021 8:05:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

No, there is only one Matilda, but only the AMF use it. It is device #1097. And the howitzer armed version is not separately represented. Nor is the flamethrower version. Could they have been represented separately like the various M4 sub types? Perhaps, but they are not so it's possibly just factored in. But here are a few key points.

First, the AIF 43 infantry section (with one Bren gun) has a higher anti soft rating than the Matilda. A coaxial BESA with lots of ammo in a moving pill box, you would think, might have a better a/s value than a bipod LMG, but the developers didn't think so. Over -rated? I would say no. But there is more.

Secondly, the weapon mix, and ammunition mix, of Matilda IIs in AMF use in the SWPAC theatre was not the same as in the 1940-41 period in UK use.

(a) Instead of 2 (or maybe only 1) CS tanks per squadron (initially intended to throw smoke) as originally issued, in SWPAC we used at least one per troop of 3 tanks, usually the troop commander's mount. Some troops were entirely comprised of CS tanks.

(b) The APBC solid shot was found to be effective for bunker busting. (With splintering hard wood instead of spalling metal.) The 3" howitzer was preferred though.

(c) A new improved HE round was developed. See photo below. Apparently it wasn't as useless as the original one.

(d) 25 Matilda FROGS were converted. As there were only a few regiments operational, these were ultimately deployed in multiple vehicle formations.

I would argue the anti-soft value of the Matilda should be fashioned so as to represent the significant proportion of 3" CS howitzer armed tanks, and the FROGs. The anti-soft of the Sherman flame tank (device #1182) is 96, and the effect is 200. The M3 Lee with a relatively short barrelled sponson mounted limited traverse 75mm howitzer (device #1179) is 31/12. Th at suggests to me the mixed model Matilda regiments fielded by the Australian army should be somewhere near the M3 at least, and are currently undervalued.

The tank in the foreground has a 3", the far tank a 40mm (2lbr).

[image]https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/image11-640x475.jpg[/image]

Also, here is some useful HE ammo being loaded for later use:

[image]https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/image23-1.jpg[/image]

And, a froggy.

[image]https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/image20-1.jpg[/image]

My understanding that the tanks are single units while the Machine Gun squads have two machine guns which could explain the higher anti-soft rating.

BBfanboy -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/10/2021 9:26:59 PM)

I suspect the ability to see the target also was considered for Anti-soft. A Bren section would have all-round visibility and could change direction very quickly; the tank turret MG - not so much.

Ian R -> RE: Wolverines, Hellcats & Jacksons, Oh My (6/11/2021 8:03:02 AM)

Didn't Andymac say that they took the LMGs (Brens) out of the Commonwealth infantry sections and put them in the Bren squads? In which case the Matilda has been given an anti-soft less than 11 men with mostly bolt action rifles* (highly reliable and accurate ones, but still).

*And a 2" mortar, i.e, a grenade projector.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI