Training your troops to do the right thing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

larryfulkerson -> Training your troops to do the right thing (5/30/2021 9:39:57 PM)

Here's something I just now threw together to see if it would work correctly and I think it pretty much did. I'm thinking of putting together some kind of "movie" of my moves to document what I did. At least for a turn or two. Is there some interest in that kind of thing for the community? If not I'll just drop it as I have more funner things to do.

Edit: I replaced the 200ms "movie" with one that has 300ms between frames. It should run slower so you can read the verbage.

My first turn initial moves:
[image]local://upfiles/16287/0750065252064656967F0B3F804B7FFE.gif[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (5/30/2021 9:43:04 PM)

Maybe you guys might want to dispense some comments about what you see above? You know a better way?

Lobster -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (5/30/2021 11:07:28 PM)

It runs kind of fast Larry. Maybe you could slow it down so there's more time to read it and see what you did? This kind of stuff would be good for noobs for sure.

Simon Edmonds -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (5/31/2021 4:02:01 AM)

Hi Larry. Is there a hot key to pause? (Like "k" in utube)

Otherwise fantastic work. Thank you for your effort. (You know I am going to want you to do one for Fite2. lol

larryfulkerson -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (5/31/2021 4:10:06 AM)

I replaced the "movie" with one that runs 3x slower. It doesn't have a pause key on the browser but you can download the GIF file
and then use MS Gifanimator.exe to reconstruct one that runs slower. I did that with the one that's posted now.
You can find the Gifanimator at this address: [ it's free ]
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/gif-animator/9nw86z8lgfxm#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Hellen_slith -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (5/31/2021 6:47:36 AM)

Love it!! YOU DA MAN, Larry!!!

fulcrum28 -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (5/31/2021 11:38:00 AM)

thank you Larry, it is very nice. Just two minor comments/questions.

1) It costs 1 star, but all operations like that should be done and execute across the front simultaneously so that all attacks just consume 1 star. Otherwise, each separate attack across the front would cost 1 star, am I correct? or I missed something?

2) The first moved done by HQ does not look too realistic since attacks done by HQs were seldom performed in real battles. Maybe using reccon unit would be better. But in TOAW using HQ as attacking unit seems allowed. :)

larryfulkerson -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (6/23/2021 10:09:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28
thank you Larry, it is very nice. Just two minor comments/questions.

1) It costs 1 star, but all operations like that should be done and execute across the front simultaneously so that all attacks just consume 1 star. Otherwise, each separate attack across the front would cost 1 star, am I correct? or I missed something?

I'm sorry I confused you. I was using just what you saw on the map as an example and nothing else in the game was relevant.
But you are correct....you got to set up ALL your attacks before you pull the trigger because each combat phase has a potential to burn rounds. I've only seen ONE combat phase that didn't cost me any rounds in all the time I've been playing. So it does happen...you just never see it unless the planets are in conjunction and we on the earth are at the closest point from here to Mars and it's a Tuesday.

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28
2) The first moved done by HQ does not look too realistic since attacks done by HQs were seldom performed in real battles. Maybe using recon unit would be better. But in TOAW using HQ as attacking unit seems allowed. :)

Yeah, I thought that too. Then I looked under the hood of this particular HQ unit and it has no command squads nor any support squads [ which I thought was odd ] so in my eyes the icon looks like an HQ unit, it's actually a small shock squad in de-skise. [ I have no clue how to spell disguise. ] And indeed, it IS allowed by the game engine. I'm going to have to fix that HQ unit so that I don't use it that way any longer. It's beginning to confuse my friends.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/4FCE0BF501454A28AC70AFA0ABA9342A.gif[/image]

Wannabe -> RE: Training your troops to do the right thing (9/14/2021 7:20:49 PM)

Very cool!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI