Another "One Thing I've Noticed" thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Vathailos -> Another "One Thing I've Noticed" thread (8/29/2003 10:45:45 PM)

Had two quick tips/tactics that I've noticed, and one that someone else pointed out that I should have known.

1) Small Units Staying Hidden

Whether it's a Machinegun, Bazooka team, or ATG, no one likes to be spotted and OP-fired. What gives you away? Shots. How do you reduce that? Well, turn off your secondary weapons of course :). It's a tough call if you're fighting in low visibility, as you might be detecting/firing at a range so close that you want both shots. But for large, open areas, turn off that rifle or SMG, you'll stay hidden longer. In addition, I've seen recommendations from veteran players here that include setting the unit's posture to "Defend", and also setting their range to 1 or 0. Play around with them, find out which works best for you.

2) Artillery Spreads

I've noticed that calling artillery in with trained (high "Artillery" rating) spotters is not only quicker (in terms of response time), it's also much more precise (in terms of round dispersion). Many of the veterans are probably rolling their eyes at this point, but I think it's worth mentioning ;).

Obviously, the FO will probably your best asset for fast response time and tight dispersion/grouping of indirect rounds. But sometimes, a larger shot group is better. When I'm firing large-caliber (150mm+) artillery either in counter-battery or pre-bombardment, I want a larger spread. This maximizes suppression, and gives you a better "hit" chance if the enemy unit isn't quite in the target hex you selected.

With smaller artillery (75mm howitzers, 50-60mm mortars, etc), you want multiple hits in the same hex if you know your target's there, because of their low "splash" factor. But with the larger ones, I just thought it worth mentioning that when you're pre-bombarding or plotting counterbattery (in cases when the 0.4 delay won't cost you too much), the extra dispersion when plotting with your A0 vs. your FO might be worth it.

Thoughts?

Oh, and one other thing.

I think it was Bel that posted it on the "Saving Private Ryan Caption This" thread about ambushes.

I didn't know this, but now that I hear it, it jives with my own experiences. Remaining stationary (i.e. not moving and acting in the same turn) greatly increases your chance for an assault.

This may well be the reason why, when I assault an enemy AFV while hidden without moving I see a high success number (ex. 46% chance), and when that fails, subsequent assaults drop drastically (ex. 7% chance) . Is this because now you're considered to be "moving"? Even though you haven't moved, attacking gets you out of that poised posture, I assume.

Any final word on that? Anyone?

Jamminji -> (8/30/2003 1:03:13 AM)

I have a question about your post... good post btw!

You mention "plotting" counter-battary" How do you do this. I thught that counter-battary was something we did not have much control over. Basically if your opponent had off board arty and you did too then "if" your off B arty did not fire at the map, it had a possiblity to fire counter-battary. If this is wrong, please explain so i can get those nasties!

thanks

jam

Jamminji -> (8/30/2003 2:38:45 AM)

Sooo, you mean I was right in my counter-battary explaination? WOW!...hehe

As for your idea... I think it is a VERY good stratagy, if it does not hurt the delay too much. thanks

Irinami -> (8/30/2003 6:30:11 AM)

[QUOTE=Vathailos]Had two quick tips/tactics that I've noticed, and one that someone else pointed out that I should have known.

1) Small Units Staying Hidden

Whether it's a Machinegun, Bazooka team, or ATG, no one likes to be spotted and OP-fired. What gives you away? Shots. How do you reduce that? Well, turn off your secondary weapons of course :). It's a tough call if you're fighting in low visibility, as you might be detecting/firing at a range so close that you want both shots. But for large, open areas, turn off that rifle or SMG, you'll stay hidden longer. In addition, I've seen recommendations from veteran players here that include setting the unit's posture to "Defend", and also setting their range to 1 or 0. Play around with them, find out which works best for you.[/quote]

Opfire range can work against you. It is used in computer calculations on spotting. The unit being spotted has several factors introduced to the unit doing the spotting's calculations: speed, size, among them, as well as opfire range. You could consider opfire range to be the range that you start taking shots to zero-in on the enemy.

[QUOTE=Vathailos]
2) Artillery Spreads
[/quote]

In my long-WWII campaign as the Germans, I've taken to purchasing onboard Chinese Krupp 75mm's and offboard Hungarian 300-something-mm's for this very reason. They're 1.) cheap, and 2.) have a wide spread. For the price of a handful of German 75mm's, you can buy about twice as many --as I call them--"mothballed Krupps" and cover a wider area with many more shells, while still hitting the primary target. The Hungarian guns are only good for a few barrages, but I've used them to:

1.) Counterbattery onboard artillery (and AAA!!!!). Especially against a park of British 2pdr's, you can literally destroy half and route the other half.
2.) Interdict supply/reinforcement trains. I have destroyed almost an entire company of infantry+Mortars+ATG's this way. A scout saw them, guns were offline. Next turn guns were online, scout didn't have LOS... but I could guess where they were. That combined with the spread and splash damage of the 300+mm's, and they were GONE. The scout harried the rest into submission.
3.) Stop an enemy advance for 1 turn. Again, they cover all around the enemy, and the splash gets any holes.
[QUOTE=Vathailos]
Oh, and one other thing.

I think it was Bel that posted it on the "Saving Private Ryan Caption This" thread about ambushes.

I didn't know this, but now that I hear it, it jives with my own experiences. Remaining stationary (i.e. not moving and acting in the same turn) greatly increases your chance for an assault.

This may well be the reason why, when I assault an enemy AFV while hidden without moving I see a high success number (ex. 46% chance), and when that fails, subsequent assaults drop drastically (ex. 7% chance) . Is this because now you're considered to be "moving"? Even though you haven't moved, attacking gets you out of that poised posture, I assume.

Any final word on that? Anyone?[/QUOTE]

I hadn't entirely noticed that. One thing I have noticed is that being un-spotted greatly increases your chances of assaulting an AFV. This is why your infantry squad of 10 men will have a 37% chance one day, and a base 10% chance the next. This is also probably all or most of the answer to the Gauss Sniper "problem"--they are terribly difficult to spot, so they often get the assault bonus.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI