Recommendations please (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

zasgard -> Recommendations please (6/3/2021 12:52:46 AM)

Still new to wargaming (games like Battle Academy series and Panzer Corps are the extent of my gaming experience). I really would like to get into the War in the East/West series, but am pretty intimidated.

Would you suggest I just jump in playing the small scenarios and watch youtube vids or start with less complex games?

I was thinking Unity of Command 2, the Campaign Series or Strategic Command WW2 Europe to start then WitW/E.

Appreciate any advise.

z1812 -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 1:39:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zasgard

Still new to wargaming (games like Battle Academy series and Panzer Corps are the extent of my gaming experience). I really would like to get into the War in the East/West series, but am pretty intimidated.

Would you suggest I just jump in playing the small scenarios and watch youtube vids or start with less complex games?

I was thinking Unity of Command 2, the Campaign Series or Strategic Command WW2 Europe to start then WitW/E.

Appreciate any advise.

Just buy the games and play the smallest scenarios. I am sure there are tutorials with the game, and also on you tube.

zasgard -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 6:46:23 AM)

Would the John tiller campaign series be a little easier to digest over wite2?

berto -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 1:51:42 PM)

Definitely easier. But JTCS is an older game. More importantly, JTCS is more a platoon-based tactical game, covering individual, small battles. While WITE2 is a higher org, operational (although strategic in scope) game, covering the entire Eastern Front. Really two quite different things.

First_Contact_Gamer -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 3:01:25 PM)

I would suggest some YouTube research to see what impression you get of WITE2. I think you certainly can jump into it, it just takes time and an investment. If you want a game that you can buy Friday, boot up and that night have a couple turns under your belt and feel comfortable its not that. Its not something that other games will necessarily make you ready for, its more so you just have to be ok with a full turn taking about an hour or more and the time you will spend learning it. You can boot it up the same night you buy it and play it, but don't expect to have a full grasp of everything. Personally I have found the mentality of going into it knowing I need the time investment to learn is key.

If you chose any game in prep for WITE2 I would suggest Decisive Campaigns Barborossa. It will help teach you the front, the difficulties you will face operationally in WITE2 and is of a roughly similar scale just without all the depth.

My comment is biased to check out Youtube first but if you are interested in that route for WITE2 this thread may be of help to you: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5027378

zasgard -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 3:33:16 PM)

So, after watching A LOT of videos from the Strategy Gaming Dojo, I might actually jump into this beast. He does an AMAZING job of breaking it down and if I let it sink in that this is a slow learning process I should be good.

Pliny -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 3:39:50 PM)

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. I know it looks intimidating at first, but it has a number of smaller scenarios through which you can learn the game: Coral Sea, Guadalcanal, Marianas, etc.

Now then, now that I've plugged my favorite game (and by far the most interesting theater of operations), I do agree with the above that Decisive Campaigns Barborossa is a great entry-level game for playing and learning about the campaign/theater. From there, you can jump into WitE.

Bamilus -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 4:01:37 PM)

I'd definitely start with Decisive Campaigns. Not only is a great game with some cool features, but at it's core everything you learn in it will set you up well to transition into heavier hex and counter based games.

RFalvo69 -> RE: Recommendations please (6/3/2021 7:45:35 PM)

And I would keep John Tiller's Campaign Series on the radar. It has tons of scenarios, covers all fronts, has a description for each unit that you can call up while gaming and, beside being really fun, encourages the use of real tactics even if it is turn based.

It is the kind of game that it is easy to learn but, under the hood, covers a lot things - leaving you free to concentrate on tactics.

I don't have WitE 2, but I do have WitW and WitP: AE. They are without doubt masterpieces, but also the kind of games where, after 100 hours of playing, you discover a remote corner of the UI where you can change the altitude your airplanes operate. I.e. I consider them very good games for who takes such an option for a given, but not really for who is taking his first steps.

gamer78 -> RE: Recommendations please (6/4/2021 3:16:44 PM)

Combat calculations adds to difficulty curve while learning a game. The Campaign Series and whole Strategic Command series are more transparent about combat results.

zasgard -> RE: Recommendations please (6/4/2021 3:31:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

Combat calculations adds to difficulty curve while learning a game. The Campaign Series and whole Strategic Command series are more transparent about combat results.

These comments intrigue me gamer78.

I'm guessing you prefer the CS and SC games over WitE/W for these reasons? I've tried the Tiller CS years ago, but got frustrated. I'm a much more patient person these days so that's why I was thinking about tackling the WitW/E games, but maybe picking up something less complex might be a good route. I have to also admit, I'm a sucker for 3d images. Something about seeing little infantry men and tanks on the board. I'll probably give the Tiller CS another go (just wish the graphics we're so old).

Something else I wanted to add. I'm in my early 50's and I have other intersts/hobbies. I feel that getting into these games at such a later stage in my life I just don't have the time to play them all. Hence the added pressure of jumping right into the WitE/W games [:D]

wodin -> RE: Recommendations please (6/4/2021 7:03:48 PM)

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Def purchase

Kuokkanen -> RE: Recommendations please (6/4/2021 8:01:49 PM)

I recommend Advanced Tactics Gold. Units in the game are assembled from company size pieces, and you can have as many or as few companies in a unit as you want in (almost) whatever combinations. Put together variety of infantry to make up an infantry unit, add trucks or halftracks to make a mechanized unit, add tanks to make an armoured unit. Game comes with a number of scenarios and more are available on the Internet. In addition game makes random maps & wars and therefore it can be played as a 4X game. AI = Artificial Insanity. Case in point: in Netherlands scenario (comes with the game) I played Netherlands and stonewalled AI Germany rather easily.

76mm -> RE: Recommendations please (6/5/2021 5:53:46 PM)

I would not recommend Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa at all...the game itself is OK but it includes a "role-playing" feature that seeks to replicate the effect of interpersonal interactions among various commanders. Many people seem to love it, but I found it extremely annoying and superficial. I think you can also play the game without this "feature", but if you do that there is no real reason to get the game at all, there are any number of other games you could look at.

WitE2 is actually very complex, although you can get started just by pushing counters around and ignore or automate features such as air, logistics, commanders, etc. WitE2 might be good if you are willing to spend quite a bit of time learning the ropes. I've been playing wargames for many many years and still am having a hard time figuring out some parts of WitE2, even after reading the manual, etc., although I haven't watched any videos. I would not recommend WitP:AE for someone in your shoes unless you are very very interested in the Pacific Theater, and only the Pacific Theater.

I don't have Unity of Command but people seem to like it. Same with the Order of Battle series, although I'm not sure how much more complicated it is than Battle Academy or Panzer Corps. Warplan could also be a good option; I don't have it but most people seem to like it, and it doesn't seem overly complicated.

zasgard -> RE: Recommendations please (6/5/2021 10:18:03 PM)

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I started watching a YouTuber play DC Barbaross and he had encircled several Russian divisions and attacked with superior numbers. He caused 30,000 casualities while suffering 0. I know these games are just abstractions but that seemed super unlikely and unrealistic.

z1812 -> RE: Recommendations please (6/5/2021 11:30:41 PM)

[/quote]
Something else I wanted to add. I'm in my early 50's and I have other intersts/hobbies. I feel that getting into these games at such a later stage in my life I just don't have the time to play them all. Hence the added pressure of jumping right into the WitE/W games [:D]
[/quote]

Stick with the Campaign Series. You already have it. Start small and give it some time. It is quite straight forward. It is an old game but very good. Then think about other games.

zasgard -> RE: Recommendations please (6/5/2021 11:54:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

Stick with the Campaign Series. You already have it. Start small and give it some time. It is quite straight forward. It is an old game but very good. Then think about other games.

I used to have the campaign series. Lost my cd's years ago ☹

overachieverz -> RE: Recommendations please (6/6/2021 9:37:49 AM)

Hello friend you can try
turn-based100%
war100%
tanks90%
strategy90%
tactical80%
world-war-270%
artillery70%
wargame70%

Kuokkanen -> RE: Recommendations please (6/6/2021 5:23:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: overachieverz

Hello friend you can try
turn-based100%
war100%
tanks90%
strategy90%
tactical80%
world-war-270%
artillery70%
wargame70%

Hello overachieverz. That looks very much like what random spam bot would post. What's with all the %s anyway?

IslandInland -> RE: Recommendations please (6/6/2021 11:42:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zasgard

Appreciate any advise.

Don't be intimidated. They are just games.

Buy WITW and WITE 2.

Start with the small scenarios and work your way up.

There is a big myth about these games that they are very hard to play. They are not.

I bought WITW on the day of release and played the Husky (Sicily Invasion) scenario literally without reading a word of the manual.

The basic gameplay is simple and the more you play the more you learn. Also reading parts of the manual as you understand more about the game helps but honestly these "big" games are very approachable and can be played with little to no understanding of the underlying mechanics which will also still be there when you want to delve deeper and learn more.

balto -> RE: Recommendations please (6/7/2021 2:25:10 AM)

ZASGARD, you have by chance stumbled upon, IMO, the BEST youtuber in Strategy Gaming Dojo. He is very underrated, stick with him. Though he has a limited selection of games, you will find that when you stray from him, most other youtubers are not as his level.

balto -> RE: Recommendations please (6/7/2021 2:26:07 AM)

Forgot Das Tactic, definitely another high caliber 'instructional type' youtuber.

zasgard -> RE: Recommendations please (6/7/2021 2:29:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

ZASGARD, you have by chance stumbled upon, IMO, the BEST youtuber in Strategy Gaming Dojo. He is very underrated, stick with him. Though he has a limited selection of games, you will find that when you stray from him, most other youtubers are not as his level.

Yea, his breakdown of WitE2 is awesome. Finding his videos is making me lean toward just taking the plunge and try to absorb this game in tiny bits :)

zasgard -> RE: Recommendations please (6/7/2021 2:29:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

Forgot Das Tactic, definitely another high caliber 'instructional type' youtuber.

YES! Thanks for the reminder. His videos are high quality too.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI