Capturing bases??? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

ScottyG -> Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 5:43:32 PM)

Is there a way (im hoping & most likely) to capture islands that have no enemy troops on it, if so how do you do it? I see alot of islands with lil tiny green or red dots on them, but i cant land troops on them???

geofflambert -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 6:08:35 PM)

What makes you think you can't land troops on them? As long as the unit has at least an AV of 1 it can capture it. Once in a while a base will flip without you landing on them, but that's rare. Just use the lightest unit you have available (with an AV > 0) and go from one island to the next flipping them. In some cases you have to be in amphibious mode. (in all cases you should be in amphib mode)

Platoonist -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 6:08:49 PM)

With troops in an amphibious mission task force you can land troops even at a "dot" location.

btd64 -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 6:10:12 PM)

Use a small Amphibious TF with a Marine raider bat. If your allies. Same thing for the Japanese side....GP

btd64 -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 6:11:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

With troops in an amphibious mission task force you can land troops even at a "dot" location.

You beat me to the punch....GP

Platoonist -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 6:17:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

You beat me to the punch....GP

I was thinking gee...the Guadalcanal campaign would be sorta difficult to conduct if we couldn't land at "dot" bases. [:D]

GetAssista -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 6:19:40 PM)

Paratroopers, or Amphibious TF, or row-boat corps (autocapture) from your base 2 or less hexes away.

BBfanboy -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 7:46:33 PM)

For dot bases, a Fast Transport TF with APDs is often the fastest way to zip from place to place. The Allies get some company sized units in Australia that are good for that sort of thing.

I think you can also use Patrol seaplanes to transport troops in, but most players find them too valuable for search purposes in the early game when capturing dot bases is a thing.

eskuche -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 7:52:00 PM)

Any AAR examples of dot bases actually having IJ units in it due to bad recon? This happened a lot in real life, yeah?

Also what does this mean?
quote:

Paratroopers, or Amphibious TF, or row-boat corps (autocapture) from your base 2 or less hexes away.

They all autocapture? 100% of the time? While at your base or while at the targeted hex with you having a base < 3 hexes away?

BBfanboy -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 8:13:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: eskuche

Any AAR examples of dot bases actually having IJ units in it due to bad recon? This happened a lot in real life, yeah?

Also what does this mean?
quote:

They all autocapture? 100% of the time? While at your base or while at the targeted hex with you having a base < 3 hexes away?

Auto-capture seems to happen more frequently the closer you are. For example on land, if a unit is in the adjoining hex and marching towards a dot base it will often auto-flip if the enemy does not have troops equally close. Between islands, 3 hexes seems to be the maximum distance but even that seems to depend on the size of the manned base. For example, in the Gilberts and Marshalls where there are a lot of dot bases I landed troops at one of the established ports and started to build the base. It took almost a year but at one point as soon as I reached a new level to the base a nearby base auto-flipped. Then the turn after that another one flipped. Several turns later another one 3 hexes distant flipped. BTW, I had varying amounts of combat troops at the base with the AV going up and down before the base reached the seemingly magic level.

So I conclude base size is a factor in causing an auto-flip between island bases.

RangerJoe -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 9:23:05 PM)

Paratroopers using float planes, air unit broken down to capture as many as is possible in a turn, then pick up the troops after capturing the island. Or use transports to drop them, float planes to pick them up.

RangerJoe -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 9:24:32 PM)

Float planes can search with a certain percentage while also moving troops.

eskuche -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/5/2021 11:05:34 PM)

Interesting takes, thanks. Looks like it’s time for some capital r Research in a sandbox.

So far I am liking the degree to which things are simulated vs. kept under the hood here compared to WITE1.

Ian R -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/7/2021 12:42:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

For dot bases, a Fast Transport TF with APDs is often the fastest way to zip from place to place. The Allies get some company sized units in Australia that are good for that sort of thing.

I think you can also use Patrol seaplanes to transport troops in, but most players find them too valuable for search purposes in the early game when capturing dot bases is a thing.

I use the PB2Y-3 and the left over PBY-4 with the long legs (always on 50% rest so they avoid ops losses), transporting the Australian commando companies to probe IJ defences (and pick up bases cheaply). You do need to establish a big supplied base in the area so they don't flip back to enemy control when you move on.

Sardaukar -> RE: Capturing bases??? (6/7/2021 1:38:26 PM)

Australians have these nice company sized units for this. Of course they can be combined to battalions later, but anyways.

ScottyG -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/13/2021 5:40:12 PM)

Ok, had this figured out or at least thought i did??? Fighting in the solomons, moved a small force (34th NZ Battalion) to tassaforonga & captured it (as the "dot" now shows green) then a lil later moved the US 21st infantry regiment in also but it doesnt show the stars & stripes flag yet???

USSAmerica -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/13/2021 5:50:03 PM)

It won't show a "flag" unless the Port or Airfield is improved to level 1. Until then, it only shows a dot.

ScottyG -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/13/2021 10:15:34 PM)

Ok, thanks

geofflambert -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/13/2021 10:15:48 PM)

The flag may be of the headquarters the base is assigned to when captured regardless of the nationality or service that is occupying it. Don't think I've ever spent (wasted) PPs changing one.

Nomad -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/13/2021 10:17:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The flag may be of the headquarters the base is assigned to when captured regardless of the nationality or service that is occupying it. Don't think I've ever spent (wasted) PPs changing one.

If you change it before any port or airbase expansion, it costs 0 PPs.

USSAmerica -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/14/2021 12:15:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

Now that is an interesting tidbit of information! [:)]

rustysi -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/14/2021 3:29:09 AM)

Indeed, I'll have to try it when I get a chance.

BBfanboy -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/14/2021 3:35:13 AM)

You still have to have, at that location, a unit belonging to HQ you plan to change to.

rustysi -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/14/2021 4:19:19 AM)

Yes, that's true.

Ian R -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/14/2021 5:32:32 AM)

quote:

Sometimes it is useful, e.g. you might want to change Saipan to match 20th Bomber HQ's command chain in this example:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2219116&mpage=2&key=�

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

A 9+ airfield does not suffer from overstacking.
Here is your out. If you can achieve this through any combination of AF building, and HQ manipulation you can be free of the overstacking rule and have a most efficient AF.

An example:

Saipan: Built to Size 4 AF with a 20th Bomber Command radius of 5 will give you a Size 9 AF. Overstack to your hearts content. No penalty. As long as the best Air HQ of the same command as the base which is within range can add its command radius to the number of groups that can be administrated, otherwise if not in the same command, the nearest HQ will add ½ its command radius to the number of groups. At which point you will NOT have a 9 AF and suffer restrictions.

Mike Solli -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/14/2021 11:07:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

Now that is an interesting tidbit of information! [:)]

Heck, I never even knew you could change the nationality of a base!

Edit: Maybe it's because I play the Japanese and there is no other nationality. Duh. [:D] It is interesting to know though.

HansBolter -> RE: Capturing bases??? (8/14/2021 2:23:13 PM)

quote:

quote:

And scales upward as the Airbase and Port sizes increase.

Change those level 1 port bases BEFORE you start building them up.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI