Rising Sun is broken on Windows 10 [SOLVED] (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

insidius -> Rising Sun is broken on Windows 10 [SOLVED] (6/27/2021 6:35:46 AM)

I'm running Windows 10, the latest version of JTCS (2.02), and I've downloaded the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable. Both East Front and West Front work flawlessly, but Rising Sun doesn't work at all. The game will load, I can start a new campaign, but as soon as I start a battle, the game becomes unresponsive. I can't change zoom levels, and if I try to pan the camera, I'll start getting graphical screen tearing.

Anyone know how I can fix this? I'd really like to play Rising Sun since it was the only one I haven't had much time with of the three.

Thank you.

insidius -> RE: Rising Sun is broken on Windows 10 (7/1/2021 3:30:13 PM)

I discovered that it was an NVIDIA service causing my issue. Here's what I did to fix it in case anyone runs into this in the future.

1. Type MSCONFIG in the start bar and hit Enter.
2. Go to the Services tab and find NVIDIA LocalSystem Container. Uncheck it and hit apply.
3. Restart PC.

That's all it was for me. Until I find a way to resolve the issue, I have to disable the service when I want to play Rising Sun (East Front and West front don't have this issue) and reenable it after.

If this isn't the conflicting file you have, you can try this to find it instead:

1. Disable all background programs. You can do this by running MSCONFIG and disabling all non-windows start-up programs and services.
2. While in the Services tab, make sure you click 'Hide all Microsoft services' so you don't accidentally disable any.
3. After you disable all non-windows services, run the game. If the problem goes away, then there's a conflict.
4. Reopen MSCONFIG and enable the services one by one until you find the conflicting service. You will need to restart your pc after each enable and see if the game runs. Keep going until you find the conflict.

Jason Petho -> RE: Rising Sun is broken on Windows 10 (7/1/2021 7:48:02 PM)

Great sleuthing!

Thank you!

mimarsp -> RE: Rising Sun is broken on Windows 10 (1/8/2022 9:46:59 PM)

Something I just posted to the JTCS Support forum...

I often notice on these forums, many have a GFX issue with RS. IF you have an NVIDEA GFX card that may be the culprit. In 2017 I struggled at home and on this and the Matrix forums. It was my efforts, and NOT those from any help forum which ID'd the issue. I quote you from a post I sent here.... "I find that IF I DISABLE THE NVIDEA DRIVER, and use the built-in MSFT windows graphic display, then an OLD game such as JTCS RS WORKS, as do EF,WF,WW1Mod." You can view 2 full post exchanges on this forum: posted by THREAD STARTER...mimarsp,... AND DATED 7/21/17 AND 7/22/17..NAMED "Rising Sun Graphic error" .
I had a reply from here or Matrix (which I can't now find), BUT it seems a game recognized by NVIDEA has an .exe labled rs.exe, and it interferes with our favorite game. They indicated that future produced titles would have longer more specific .exe app file names.
I do think that there is also a way within the NVIDA set up to exclude that spurious "rs.exe" reference. I can't recall that process right now,Something within the NVIDEA set up,
custom program title (2nd page) showing ALL NV recognized programs, or just those specific to your PC.

2017 post quote...I find that IF I DISABLE THE NVIDEA DRIVER, and use the built-in MSFT windows graphic display, then an OLD game such as JTCS RS WORKS, as do EF,WF,WW1Mod.

SullyRob -> RE: Rising Sun is broken on Windows 10 (1/16/2022 3:08:19 PM)

Dang man. Thanks!!!!

you finally fixed it. Ive made like 3 or 4 tech support tickets trying to figure out how to fix this till i read this. thanks a ton!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI