Multitude of bugs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support

decourcy -> Multitude of bugs (9/2/2003 3:11:06 AM)

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some response from long time players for their experiances.

I am playing the allies in a scn 17 PBEM game. It is about 7/25/42.
I have lost 4 carriers so when Sara arrived I just pulled its planes off and sent them to Efate because my opponent had just taken Luganville. That worked well, and we created a new Iron Bottom sound off of Luganville. Then, he moved a huge invasion fleet to Port Moresby. I had Wasp by this point and I knew many of his carriers were damaged or sunk so I decided to send two SC task forces and a Carrier force. So, I flew my carrier planes from Efate to Noumea and next turn loaded them on Sara. Well, the fighters and both Dauntless squads loaded. The Avengers will not load. All squadrons are at normal full strength. I have not disbanded any squadrons into these units. Morale is acceptable. Why will my Avengers not load on the Sara?

The only thing i can think of is maybe the squadron was Devastators when it arrived but upgraded to Avengers after I stripped the squadrons. Would that affect anything?

Next, I did find a sorta fix for the squadrons with weird pilots bug....
If you withdraw a squadron with too few or too many pilots it will arrive with the correct number of pilots. However, you will never see Harold Bauer fly in this Pacific War, he is a desk commander only...

This is just an observation but for what its worth....
In Carrier Strike and PacWar Dive bombers were more accurate than torpedo bombers, in UV that seems to be reversed. I think this is part of the reason Japan tends to win most otherwise even carrier battles. I hit my opponents carriers in the game i mentioned above and caught him using all but the Ryujo as LRCAP for the transports.
I got the first two strikes, I was totally untouched by the Ryujos fighters, my 76 Dauntlesses and 30 Devastators scored... 3 bomb and 1 torpedo hit. All on the Ryujo. Then his planes sank both of my carriers.
Thats all fine and such but it seems to be, in my experience, the way battles go as dive bombers don't get many hits. Japan can survive this with their hordes of Kates, but the Allies can not.

Oh, yeah, I also (same game) have a B17 Squadron at Noumea that has 2 undamaged bombers and 3 damaged bombers. Noumea has never been attacked. Those 3 bombers have been damaged since their first attack in June. So for more than a month they have not repaired 1 plane! Luck? Whats up?

Mike

Bodhi -> (9/2/2003 4:24:08 AM)

[QUOTE=decourcy]Oh, yeah, I also (same game) have a B17 Squadron at Noumea that has 2 undamaged bombers and 3 damaged bombers. Noumea has never been attacked. Those 3 bombers have been damaged since their first attack in June. So for more than a month they have not repaired 1 plane! Luck? Whats up?
[/QUOTE]

Hi Mike,

Maybe there's no-one there that knows how to repair them. How many aviation support points at the base?

Oleg Mastruko -> (9/2/2003 8:10:44 AM)

[QUOTE=decourcy]Hi all,

I am hoping to get some response from long time players for their experiances.
[/QUOTE]

First off, your post is titled "multitude of bugs" which is a sure way to get old and most experienced UV players mildly irritated :). Even moreso, because, in fact, you talk about one single issue that may be bug (Avengers won't load) and other issues are just confusion in your head. Please, by all means, you're welcome to ask anything on other boards, but it's not appropriate to flood Bug board with "How do I...?" type of questions, classified as "bugs".

Avengers on Sara. Squardons sometime won't load unless the target ship is part of the task force. Try putting Sara into some TF and then try to load aircraft on the ship. Also, check that you didn't accidentaly load some other squadron on Sara, thus overloading the CV.

[QUOTE=decourcy]
This is just an observation but for what its worth....
In Carrier Strike and PacWar Dive bombers were more accurate than torpedo bombers, in UV that seems to be reversed. I think this is part of the reason Japan tends to win most otherwise even carrier battles. I hit my opponents carriers in the game i mentioned above and caught him using all but the Ryujo as LRCAP for the transports.
I got the first two strikes, I was totally untouched by the Ryujos fighters, my 76 Dauntlesses and 30 Devastators scored... 3 bomb and 1 torpedo hit. All on the Ryujo. Then his planes sank both of my carriers.
Thats all fine and such but it seems to be, in my experience, the way battles go as dive bombers don't get many hits. Japan can survive this with their hordes of Kates, but the Allies can not.
[/QUOTE]

NO WAY torp bombers are more accurate than dive bombers!! Play more UV, and see for yourself. Torp bombers are not only less accurate but also die at a much higher rate.

Actually they are most usefull as a team - dive and torp bombers together. If you watch action replays, note that Kates are dreadfully bad against undamaged, fast and manouverable warships. They miss and miss and miss (and die from AA in the process).

BUT, if Vals arrive, and score some hits on target (being dive bombers they score more easily, even on undamaged ships) - then Kates have a feast, and score devastating hits on ships. Damaged, and less manouverable ships are MUCH easier to hit with torp bomber.

So, at the end of a well coordinated attack - what you see is many torp hits, that eventually sink the ship, but they would never be scored if it wasn't for Vals hitting the ship first.

This is also perfectly logical and historic. IJN doctrine was for Vals to attack first, damage the ship and destroy AA guns, and then for Kates to strike. (Of course, in war as in UV, it's not easy to coordinate attacks perfectly, thus Kates oftenly attack alone.)

Also, try putting dive bombers at 15k feet if you wish to obtain 9-plane flights attacking simoultaneously (scoring, supposedly, more hits). Some players prefer this setting (I do).

[QUOTE=decourcy]
Oh, yeah, I also (same game) have a B17 Squadron at Noumea that has 2 undamaged bombers and 3 damaged bombers. Noumea has never been attacked. Those 3 bombers have been damaged since their first attack in June. So for more than a month they have not repaired 1 plane! Luck? Whats up?
[/QUOTE]

4 engine planes repair very very slowly in UV, by design. Also check whether you have enough ground support troops available.

O.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI