RE: Olympics (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

RangerJoe -> RE: Olympics (7/26/2021 11:01:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garfieldthecat

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

I agree with you, but for me I despise the anti whatever country demonstrations that the athletes feel they must indulge in to bring disgrace to the games. So many good athletes, but the few who destroy the meaning of bringing honor to those whom you are supposed to represent I absolutely detest . I choose not to watch anyone who brings disgrace to themselves, their team, and their country.

+1
If you do not want to represent your country, then don't. Just don't go - in fact, find another country since the one that you are representing is so bad.

Found the person who doesn't understand the difference between patriotism and nationalism. Not surprised.

Athletes who stand up to racism and other forms of discrimination are patriots.

You obviously do not understand the meanings of patriots, patriotism, and nationalism.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 12:43:55 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with you, but for me I despise the anti whatever country demonstrations that the athletes feel they must indulge in to bring disgrace to the games. So many good athletes, but the few who destroy the meaning of bringing honor to those whom you are supposed to represent I absolutely detest . I choose not to watch anyone who brings disgrace to themselves, their team, and their country.

+1
If you do not want to represent your country, then don't. Just don't go - in fact, find another country since the one that you are representing is so bad.

Found the person who doesn't understand the difference between patriotism and nationalism. Not surprised.

patriot noun
pa·​tri·​ot | \ ˈpā-trē-ət , -ˌät, chiefly British ˈpa-trē-ət \
Definition of patriot
: one who loves and supports his or her country

I'm pretty sure that hating your country doesn't qualify.

z1812 -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 1:49:31 AM)

[/quote]

athletes who stand up to racism and other forms of discrimination are patriots.

[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.

Zorch -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 1:53:18 AM)

A person who criticizes some aspect of their country does not necessarily hate it.

scaz -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 2:08:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

+1

+2 The Olympics are supposed to be about the sports and not political grandstanding or kneeing for that matter.

gekkoguy35 -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 4:40:06 AM)

They've got as much of a right to stand up for things they believe in on a public stage as y'all have to criticize them for doing so here on the internet. Kudos to them having the guts to do it despite knowing that so many folks think they need to just "shut up and play", as if their only value to the world is their athleticism. Countries have used the games to make political statements throughout history (and future such as the upcoming winter Olympics), so they've always been about much more than the sports themselves.

warspite1 -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 4:45:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

And one must ask why there are LGBT Symbols for most sports but not Scottish flag in olympics.
Warspite1

Why must this bizarre question be asked? I haven’t seen any LGBT symbols so perhaps you could expand more on that. The Scottish flag? British (and NI) athletes compete under Team GB banner - not their individual countries. So what is the ‘problem’?

Rebel Yell -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 4:54:35 AM)

Politics in sports is horrible.

Compete, win graciously, lose graciously.

warspite1 -> RE: Olympics (7/27/2021 5:03:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

patriot noun
pa·​tri·​ot | \ ˈpā-trē-ət , -ˌät, chiefly British ˈpa-trē-ət \
Definition of patriot
: one who loves and supports his or her country

I'm pretty sure that hating your country doesn't qualify.
warspite1

Why does highlighting discrimination and unfairness neccesarily mean one hates one’s country?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI