WarPlan 2 map

Tiled map like WP1
  78% (25)
Hand drawn maps like WitE
  21% (7)

Total Votes : 32
(last vote on : 2/20/2022 5:23:05 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

AlvaroSousa -> WarPlan 2 map (8/5/2021 1:35:01 PM)

Pretty straight forward..... except there is a price to pay.

Hand drawn maps are incredibly expensive to do. They can cost many thousands of dollars which could increase the cost of the game depending on how detailed I want it. It will also mean losing flex

Tiled maps are less expensive to do. The artist just has to make the tiles. WP1 tiles were made by an 3 artists, 1 being myself.

This is just for consideration as I haven't decided which way I will go. I will have to weight cost with flexibility.

ncc1701e -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/5/2021 2:54:04 PM)

Tiled map can be good if you add plenty of possibilities, flavors to draw a coastline.
Also, some straits can be the object of a dedicated tile to do something not far from real.

Pas de Calais, Meuse river strait in Netherlands, Gibraltar comes to mind.

It also depends on the scale of your map. Is it a real global map?
Or, is it a map with Europe on one hand and Pacific on the other hand? If so, will they share the same scale?

Plenty of questions indeed.

stjeand -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/5/2021 3:20:26 PM)

Honestly if one is cheaper and lets the game be cheaper I am fine with that.

I like pretty but can live with less.

sveint -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/5/2021 6:19:11 PM)

The problem with hand drawn maps is that if anything ever needs to be changed, it's really hard to do.

I think a hand drawn map is better for a "ultimate edition" (where we have a year or two of playing/testing/balancing) or as an optional DLC later.

Nirosi -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/5/2021 6:34:35 PM)

quote:

I think a hand drawn map is better for a "ultimate edition" (where we have a year or two of playing/testing/balancing) or as an optional DLC later.

+1

Sadly I can not change my vote! As I can see now that even if I would prefer by far the hand drawn map, it might not be the wisest choice at start.[:(]

Magpius -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/6/2021 10:03:32 AM)

Tiles probably allows greater modding capacity, (but I'm not seeing many scenario mods being created and posted for Europe or Pacific).
4-5 graphics modders, and about
2-3 people making scenarios.

(my 2 cents)

AlvaroSousa -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/6/2021 4:05:35 PM)

Seems like everyone likes tiles.

boldairade -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/6/2021 5:06:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sveint

The problem with hand drawn maps is that if anything ever needs to be changed, it's really hard to do.

My thought as well.

More than happy to pay extra for a map. It’s what you’re looking at after all.

Just figured nothing is ever perfect at release. And the constant tweaking to improve the game is one of WP’s greatest strengths.

joey -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/7/2021 1:11:22 AM)

Which ever allows for easier modeling gets my vote.

Ratbag55 -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/8/2021 6:40:14 AM)

I would easily pay significantly more for hand drawn maps!

Ratbag

MorningDew -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/8/2021 11:57:15 AM)

Not sure it is likes, but the observation that it makes it harder to change is a good one.

Perhaps the idea of, after WP2 has settled, DLC to get a hand drawn map.

ncc1701e -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/10/2021 9:17:03 PM)

Why don't you generate the map based on real data free of license like Openstreetmap?

AlvaroSousa -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/10/2021 11:10:01 PM)

It's not the map itself in the sense of real locations, it's making it look nice that costs $$$$ Like a lot of $$$$

PHalen -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/11/2021 6:29:05 PM)

Tiled map for vanilla WP2 with hand drawn map as a later & separately sold DLC is a great idea!

Not sure how many $$$ a hand drawn map DLC would cost but I believe it should attract enough buyers to pay off.
I’d buy a nice hand drawn map DLC regardless of its price tag (almost).

About tiled WP2 map files, please consider a similar map file structure as used for SC3.
Especially shorelines & islands, but also terrain features etc. appear more diverse, and IMO look much better on the SC3 maps as compared to the WPE/WPP maps.
SC3 map files are also a LOT easier to mod than the relatively few WP map files.

So I haven’t cast any vote since I vote for both! [8D]

AlvaroSousa -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/12/2021 9:43:24 PM)

For a map that large over $10-$15k

Nirosi -> RE: WarPlan 2 map (8/12/2021 9:52:58 PM)

quote:

For a map that large over $10-$15k

[X(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI