Atomic Bombing of Japan (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War

OldCrowBalthazor -> Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 2:24:24 AM)

In a current MP match, my opponent nuked Japan. I was expecting this at any time, however in the replay of combat and the combat summary..I never saw any notification or other indication that this was done to me until I looked at the reports in the middle of my turn. All I saw was a catastrophic cascade on Japan's NM in the reports.

Now, you would think that there would be some kind of action..like a couple of 'big booms' on the replay and at least on the combat summary. Heck, I was recording this on YT and would have roleplayed this narration to the hilt.[:D]

How I got a confirmation after finishing my turn was a text exchange with my opponent, and he asked, "How did you like the nukes :)". I told him I suspected that..from the reports, but wasn't sure as I also evacuated most the army in China to the Home Islands in anticipation of a last stand and a final rampage of the Navy on those damned Yankees.

Anyway..I guess as Allies you can see the action as you drop these puppies..but it would be nice to see from the Axis p.o.v. this action..if nothing else..for the immersion.

Attached will be 3 images:

Japan Sept 1945
Combat Summary of prior turn
Sept 1945 Japan NM report

Cheers.

[image]local://upfiles/72627/8003AA25024C4A39B769311285149E9A.jpg[/image]

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 2:29:46 AM)

Combat Summary Report of prior actions.

[image]local://upfiles/72627/36445378D0A44C49AD39E6064F392C12.jpg[/image]

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 2:36:53 AM)

Sept 1945 NM report.
I wondered what happened..and suspected my opponent dropped the A-Bombs..but only got a confirmation like I said in the above post that its was so via some texting off forum.

Would be nice if possible to see the bombings at play during the replay of the prior turn at the beginning of the Axis next turn...and if not that at least in the Combat Summary or some other type of event notification.

[image]local://upfiles/72627/37D2A695B01A4B2B8A1938F26653CFDC.jpg[/image]

BillRunacre -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 9:22:36 AM)

This is intriguing because there are definitely messages and images that should appear in game, and while those will only appear across the screen during one side's turn, I don't understand why they wouldn't appear in the summary that appears at the beginning of the Axis turn.

Unless they appeared in a subsequent display, i.e. at this stage of the war the events often span over more than one page in the summary that appears at the start of a turn.

If you press L can you see them mentioned in any of the reports?

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 7:05:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

This is intriguing because there are definitely messages and images that should appear in game, and while those will only appear across the screen during one side's turn, I don't understand why they wouldn't appear in the summary that appears at the beginning of the Axis turn.

Unless they appeared in a subsequent display, i.e. at this stage of the war the events often span over more than one page in the summary that appears at the start of a turn.

If you press L can you see them mentioned in any of the reports?

Here is the first page of the Combat Summary. No indication of an Atomic Attack. One thing also was a surprise, was that my opponent had invaded Nakasaki 2 turns prior with AVL assaults and managed to get an SF on the town. The turn after, he landed an Army...and moved it off the city...then A-bombed Nagasaki (USA-Controlled) and Hiroshima (Japan controlled). Not having known he A-Bombed the two cities, I still commenced counter-attacks, and pushed back his SF unit into the smoking ruins of Nakasaki. Apparently, it must also be an atomic funeral pyre.[sm=00000622.gif]

Only in mid turn...before I moved on...did I look at the reports..and see Japan's NM crash.

So, that is it. Only the NM report indicated 'Something' happened. I evacuated much of China the turns previously, and thought the NM loss was due to losing Manchuria, Peking, and other NM spots there. China's NM rose as dramatically as Japan's sunk (pardon the pun).

This Atomic attack was basically unknown to me, until that is, my opponent and I were exchanging some messages on the game and other matters via phone text...and he through out, "How did you like the Nukes?". [sm=00000613.gif]

[image]local://upfiles/72627/4F059D5F50FA4E1BBFFDE18ABAA9E529.jpg[/image]

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 9:07:53 PM)

Mia Culpa...he did the attacks in Aug 1945.(I went back to the recording of the Axis August 1945 turn.)

I somehow missed the report. Here's the evidence.

Still, there is no indication of any attack graphically or sound wise during his replay. Got confused as I thought he was referring to my Sept turn. Never got this far in a WaW match to see how the Atomic Bomb decision plays out.

You live and learn.

[image]local://upfiles/72627/78946BF1B23E45B08ED6991000D29E5F.jpg[/image]

Mithrilotter -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 9:34:37 PM)

I have always been surprised why the Race version of all of the campaign games ends the game before the atomic bombs can be dropped.

ElvisJJonesRambo -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/27/2021 10:16:52 PM)

It's a sight to behold. Forget the Seven Wonders of the World. 8th & 9th were in August 1945. Japs (Japanese) ate a big mushroom cloud. Next time, try surrendering earlier. And fight nice. If anyone needed a 'Shrom, tis them. These conflicts are nothing, compared to what's coming in the end. Pity the unbeliever.

[image]local://upfiles/62194/D99C6C14DF7C45E598C0C6439E41FD67.jpg[/image]

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/28/2021 12:28:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mithrilotter

I have always been surprised why the Race version of all of the campaign games ends the game before the atomic bombs can be dropped.

My opponent dropped the bombs first..then came in with AVL's on Nagasaki. The Japanese Army there didn't have a chance..so good play. The thing is..during the replay...all I saw was the AVL strikes on this Army...not the bomb blasts. So..I assumed no A-bombs..that is, until the next turn...when I looked at the Sept NM reports.

Anyway....its a great match...and while I usually always look at the reports each turn..I missed this one..so apologies to Bill and anyone else o7

[image]local://upfiles/72627/9EF562A121D242229F425CFFEAB02FE5.jpg[/image]

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (8/28/2021 12:32:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElvisJJonesRambo

It's a sight to behold. Forget the Seven Wonders of the World. 8th & 9th were in August 1945. Japs (Japanese) ate a big mushroom cloud. Next time, try surrendering earlier. And fight nice. If anyone needed a 'Shrom, tis them. These conflicts are nothing, compared to what's coming in the end. Pity the unbeliever.

10th Wonder of the World will be all the Tiki Martini Bars that are going to be set up across the Pacific after the Yanks are done with Japan :))

[image]local://upfiles/72627/714B86F7FA6F4B26954E63876C25DE6A.jpg[/image]

EarlyDoors -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/12/2021 5:07:14 PM)

The Decision Event says the USA drops a series of A-bombs but is it ever more than 2?

In mp game I dropped 2 (hiroshima and Nagasaki) in aug 45 and Japan's NM went from 100%+ to 77%

but then in sept 45 no more bombs

is that it? does the USA just sit back and let those 70+ japanese land units do their thing?

or will there be more to follow until japan surrenders?

seems illogical if there are only 2

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/12/2021 6:18:21 PM)

There is a third A-Bomb. Osaka gets the third one. It showed in my reports and was evident in my opponent's video on YT from what I heard. (We are sill winding out our match on YT so I can't send you the link of his video for honor reasons).

Both sides of this match are on YT and we are probably going all the way to May 1947 [8D]

My beef is as playing Axis...there is no indication of such a dramatic and earth shaking event as the dropping of Atomic Weapons during the replay at the beginning of the turn. Its in the Combat Summary..but I had 5 pages to go through and missed it.

Other people who have seen both sides of our episodic series of my match with Gaming With The Colonel have said that it is quite dramatic from the Allied p.o.v. (GWTC) with 2 images of a mushroom cloud and a rumbling sound file. Also happens with the third Osaka bomb. From the Axis p.o.v. ....nothing but some text in the Combat Summary and of course a dramatic drop in NM in the reports.

BTW...in this match...even after the 3rd A-bomb was dropped...Japan was able to fight on into early 1946 with one last rampage of her fleet. [:D]

ElvisJJonesRambo -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/12/2021 7:03:46 PM)

Agree 100% with this thread. The Japs(Japanese) need a big mushroom cloud. The more the merrier.

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 3:30:33 AM)

quote:

Agree 100% with this thread. The(Japanese) need a big mushroom cloud. The more the merrier.

Well....obviously the Nipponese weren't quite prepared for the monstrous thing that dropped out of the sky that August morning...now were they? Still..they would of fought on if ordered to. Wonder if any western countries would have the spirit to do the same under the same circumstances?

[image]local://upfiles/72627/F8324E95E50B47BABA7C0AB57F85B817.jpg[/image]

ElvisJJonesRambo -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 3:57:58 AM)

Been doing some research on the subject.
Figured I'd let Family Guy educate.

Stewie guilt trips the Bombardier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6jXAzE8TMU

Alternate Universe, no bomb dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIahvdTnDPM

And the classic, the worst day of my life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEY24tPHOk

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 5:25:31 AM)

quote:

Been doing some research on the subject.
Figured I'd let Family Guy educate.

Stewie guilt trips the Bombardier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6jXAzE8TMU

Alternate Universe, no bomb dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIahvdTnDPM

And the classic, the worst day of my life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEY24tPHOk

The Baboon!!! [:D]
edit: 5 minutes later....still laughing! Thanks JJR [:D][:D][:D]

EarlyDoors -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 12:29:49 PM)

Hi Old Crow

As you say 3rd A bomb drops on Osaka in November 45..not that it makes any difference

Japanese NM still at 79%!

I'm beginning to get slightly p'd off with these bombs

[image]local://upfiles/61530/B88CB1982B9549F7896B5BD72969CC61.jpg[/image]

Edorf -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 2:25:52 PM)

What’s the deal with all this need to use the terms “Japs” and “Nips” when referring to the Japanese? And then having to add “Japanese” in brackets.

Some while ago there was a thread dealing with this as some on the forum was offended by the use of ethnic slurs by some posters.
I would appreciate If you could use the term “Japanese” when referring to the Japanese in WW2.

Just wanted to take up this issue and I will not comment on it any further.

ElvisJJonesRambo -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 3:24:07 PM)

eDorf(man),

Simple, you must have missed the memo(randum). The word Jap(anese) is spelled out so snow(flakes) don't melt. The grammar Nazis have already discussed these too: Aussies(Australians), Slavs(Yugoslavians), Poles(Polish), Yanks(Yankees), Fighting Irish, Irishman, Brits, Scots, Frenchies, Krouts, Gerry, Buntas, Greeks, Reds, Romanians, Ruski, Rabs, Checks, Croats, Albanians, Swiss, Swedes, Dutch, Danes, Washington Football Team.

This website is all about wargames, that's the glorification of violence. Apparently you have no problem fantasizing about killing & murder. I'm 100% sure you watch War Movies, glorification of violence and are never offended. Now you're the Paladin of righteousness. There's no hate, no religion, no politics. Nobody is talking about the Tower of Babel. No one is saying Trump/no-Trump. Put sugar, or no sugar in your tea. Use whatever bathroom you want, just stay in your own stall, no foot tapping the neighbor taking(leaving) a dump.

Bro(ther), I order Quarter Pounder(s) with cheese. You probably order the Royal with cheese(s). I've been playing SC for 20 years, no problems. You probably insist to get my Chinese Social Number too?

Would love to have you rush, Delta house. Ever been on double secret probation? "Toga! Toga! Toga!". Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bhFCts-Rt0

Please have a blessed (or nothingness) day,
-Elvis Presley John Jones Rambo

[image]local://upfiles/62194/97885AC32B5B449BB60DE11A2295F007.jpg[/image]

vonRocko -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 5:47:54 PM)

"This website is all about wargames, that's the glorification of violence. Apparently you have no problem fantasizing about killing & murder. I'm 100% sure you watch War Movies, glorification of violence and are never offended. Now you're the Paladin of righteousness. There's no hate, no religion, no politics. Nobody is talking about the Tower of Babel. No one is saying Trump/no-Trump. Put sugar, or no sugar in your tea. Use whatever bathroom you want, just stay in your own stall, no foot tapping the neighbor taking(leaving) a dump."

Well put Elvis.
[;)]

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 6:02:05 PM)

Oh my. I was making a jab at JJR for his use of XXX(Japanese) by my use of XXX(Nipponese) by using irony and intellect..or so I thought. JJR also responded in kind with Yank(Yankee) satire TV clips with a quite intelligent and witty repartee.

Snowflakes indeed. Thank the goddess I'm old school and know how to engage with someone that offends me like JJR does sometimes..and not the butt-hurt responses like just dropped like a baboon on this thread.

On an aside. My wife of long duration is East Asian. I'm of European and Native American extraction. OK? I have witnessed and engaged with racists constantly...especially verbal garbage and just plain rude behavior on her. I have learned to deal with cro-magnon thought in actions and words in subtle ways..ways that are unknown by certain elements on my side of the street (the Left side).

There..said my piece.

Illiniwek80 -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/13/2021 8:08:13 PM)

Ah yes, the good ol' referring to people who care in the slightest about the feelings of others as "snowflakes". That'll teach 'em!

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/15/2021 2:07:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

Hi Old Crow

As you say 3rd A bomb drops on Osaka in November 45..not that it makes any difference

Japanese NM still at 79%!

I'm beginning to get slightly p'd off with these bombs

[image]local://upfiles/61530/B88CB1982B9549F7896B5BD72969CC61.jpg[/image]

Hi EarlyDoors...sorry missed this with all the uproar haha.

Obviously, Your Japanese have faired much better than mine in my PBEM match. Still...we fought on into spring of 1946. What cracked Nippon was a Soviet invasion of Manchokuo with Chinese mass wave assaults. I had to send my victorious fleet (never defeated in any large engagement) on a last sortee from Hokkaido on towards the rising sun. :))
Our two examples goes to show that 'late game' has its charm..if anyone can get to late game that is!

cheers

(hope this got the thread back on the right track...but well, you know how it goes with atomic 'bombs' or baboons.)[:D]

[image]local://upfiles/72627/EABD51ABFA1C4BDEB3EF05F0A2C27728.jpg[/image]

Hubert Cater -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/15/2021 2:58:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edorf

What’s the deal with all this need to use the terms “Japs” and “Nips” when referring to the Japanese? And then having to add “Japanese” in brackets.

Some while ago there was a thread dealing with this as some on the forum was offended by the use of ethnic slurs by some posters.
I would appreciate If you could use the term “Japanese” when referring to the Japanese in WW2.

Just wanted to take up this issue and I will not comment on it any further.

Thanks for the post and reminder to everyone what road we just went down with all of this not too long ago.

Can everyone just edit their posts to remove the offending words (even if you put the full word in brackets) that I had also agreed were not welcome to these forums and let's get back to wargaming and discussing the game.

Thanks,
Hubert

OldCrowBalthazor -> RE: Atomic Bombing of Japan (9/15/2021 3:09:53 AM)

Edited relevant offending terms on my posts. Even satire and irony has its limits...at least publicly.
Now..back to the Atomic Bombs.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI