Newbie here... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Statboy -> Newbie here... (8/31/2021 1:19:02 AM)

Bought this game several years ago, but it was too overwhelming and so I put it aside. If the COVID era has taught me anything, it's patience, so I've decided to give it a shot.

I've downloaded the game, the latest official patch, the unofficial patch, a tool to set up the game for a modern computer, my preferred map mod, and some updated scenarios from Andy Mac. And obviously the to-do list by Kull. And then I watched a fantastic series of tutorials and some Let's Plays from Strategy Gaming Dojo on YouTube, which I would recommend to any newbie.

I loaded up the December 8 scenario and messed around and everything is working properly.

But before I really dive deep into it, I was wondering if I'm missing anything. Should I play the December 8 scenario, or would you recommend something different?

Thanks.

Kull -> RE: Newbie here... (8/31/2021 3:37:19 AM)

It's a good place to start. The comment on patience was dead-on. Like a great woman, this game rewards those who take the time to figure her out.

Orm -> RE: Newbie here... (8/31/2021 7:58:54 AM)

Welcome, Statboy, to the forum. And to the amazing world of War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. [:)]

GetAssista -> RE: Newbie here... (8/31/2021 8:22:40 AM)

A good pace to start is Allies in Coral Sea -> Guadalcanal -> Some other larger but limited scenario. Then same as Japan, then Grand Campaign.

This will introduce major game concepts relatively gradually. Although the learning curve is still a cliff [:)]

btd64 -> RE: Newbie here... (8/31/2021 10:24:33 AM)

If you have any history background on the Pacific War, that will help. The big thing is, be prepared to restart the scenario a few times as you're going to make mistakes. But that's OK. Just don't give up and you will soon learn to love this game. Welcome aboard....GP

Kull -> RE: Newbie here... (8/31/2021 2:20:07 PM)

There are two schools of thought on whether to start with small scenarios or go right into the grand campaign. If you typically learn new games from small scenarios, then by all means follow that path. It never works for me however, since I don't understand the interface or how things are supposed to link together. Day 1 of Guadalcanal was every bit as confusing as Day 2 of the Grand Campaign. One benefit of the spreadsheet is that it FORCES you to master the interface, as well as the 100's of mundane tasks that are explained in the manual, yet can take forever to learn, one by one. There isn't a single correct method, as it really depends on how you learn best - follow a hand holding step-by-step guide or just launch into the maelstrom and figure it out?

Xargun -> RE: Newbie here... (8/31/2021 2:32:53 PM)

I would recommend the first time you play the Grand Campaign is to play as Allies against the Japanese AI... The Allies side is a lot more forgiving if you screw up and lose an entire invasion fleet or battle group. If you do that as the Japanese that could be game over - depending when and where.

Xargun

Statboy -> RE: Newbie here... (8/31/2021 9:46:25 PM)

Thanks all. I've decided to dive right in with a full campaign. I've made it up through parts of Australia on the spreadsheet, so at this rate I look forward to pressing the "end turn" button at some point this weekend [:D]

RangerJoe -> RE: Newbie here... (9/1/2021 3:48:03 PM)

You can press the "end turn" button anytime, the computer will not care. Just remember to save it so you can go back to do what your forgot or otherwise did not do.

Andy Mac -> RE: Newbie here... (9/1/2021 7:10:12 PM)

Welcome and good luck

Sardaukar -> RE: Newbie here... (9/3/2021 7:19:16 AM)

Good luck! [:D]

Tanaka -> RE: Newbie here... (9/3/2021 8:32:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Statboy

Bought this game several years ago, but it was too overwhelming and so I put it aside. If the COVID era has taught me anything, it's patience, so I've decided to give it a shot.

I've downloaded the game, the latest official patch, the unofficial patch, a tool to set up the game for a modern computer, my preferred map mod, and some updated scenarios from Andy Mac. And obviously the to-do list by Kull. And then I watched a fantastic series of tutorials and some Let's Plays from Strategy Gaming Dojo on YouTube, which I would recommend to any newbie.

I loaded up the December 8 scenario and messed around and everything is working properly.

But before I really dive deep into it, I was wondering if I'm missing anything. Should I play the December 8 scenario, or would you recommend something different?

Thanks.

After UV and WITP many years ago finally diving in myself. After AI play about to start my first PBEM game. Patience and persistence for sure as you never stop learning something new with this one. It's a fun journey! And the forum is great! [sm=character0085.gif]

ScottyG -> RE: Newbie here... (9/5/2021 10:23:44 PM)

Welcome aboard bud!!!

Mike Solli -> RE: Newbie here... (9/8/2021 12:50:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

If you have any history background on the Pacific War, that will help. The big thing is, be prepared to restart the scenario a few times as you're going to make mistakes. But that's OK. Just don't give up and you will soon learn to love this game. Welcome aboard....GP

That is definitely the truth. I recall learning the old WitP back in 2004 by start (as the Japanese) over and over and over, adding a few new things each time. The process too awhile, but is definitely worth it in the long run.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI