Tarantul OTH capacity (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

MarkJoergensen -> Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 7:22:53 PM)

Anyone have more info on the Tarantul OTH capacity? It seems rather extreme for a shipmounted system in the late 80s/early 90s, and I can't find any info on it online.

thewood1 -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 7:55:45 PM)

Because you don't specify year, version of the ship, or any other detail, all I can do is guess its the III with the Band Stand radar. I'm not sure about in the game, but its rated at 200 km range in active and can monitor passive at over 500 km.

I use this site a lot for sensor info.

https://www.deagel.com/Sensor%20Systems/Mineral-ME/a002366

In fact, even wiki states 120/500 nm range.

Gunner98 -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 8:06:26 PM)

Although I am not 100% certain, nor do I have a specific reference but my understanding of Soviet/Russian naval doctrine is that they were never meant to work alone. Like most elements of Soviet/Russian military hardware they were part of a system.

They certainly do not have any onboard capability that could detect, classify, track and control their missiles (P-15 - 50nmi; P-270 - 60-75nmi; K-35 - 140nmi).

What does the targeting is the question, air probably or small ship (such as with small FFLs working with the Krivak class FFG to target their URPK-5 ASW missiles [SS-N-14 Silex]). Presumably satellite targeting might be feasible but I don't know

The main job of the ship is to carry the missiles not find the target, then shot and scoot as fast as they can to clear datum.

thewood1 -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 8:11:32 PM)

Just checked in game and it I think the assumption is right that its the Band Stand you were talking about. And yes OTH through backscatter is not a recent development. My limited understanding is backscatter has some limitations, but does point you in the right direction.

MarkJoergensen -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 9:20:34 PM)

Yes sorry, should have specified Band Stand on the III. I'm just struggling to understand how it can detect a ship in EMCON when, to my mind, the backscatter works by detecting radar emissions from the upper atmosphere.

thewood1 -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 10:02:03 PM)

Every source has about the same range listed. CMO is the only one with a much more limited range capability.

MarkJoergensen -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 10:56:50 PM)

The manufacturers own website only claims OTH for the detection of emissions.

thewood1 -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 11:17:08 PM)

Being very uneducated on the engineering of radars, I assumed that the Band Stand picked up the back scattering of the radar off the ionosphere. As was stated, the passive part of the Band Stand.

btw, in CMO, the Band Stand passive is listed as an ESM. So its only detecting radar from other ships. The active is listed as 120 nm active.

MarkJoergensen -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/5/2021 11:48:19 PM)

Yeah, the problem is that in CMO it works against ships in EMCON, when, according to the manufacturers site, it shouldn't. If it did, they'd cram their ships full of this wondersystem.

thewood1 -> RE: Tarantul OTH capacity (10/6/2021 12:13:16 AM)

I never noticed that before. I'll take a look. You should post a save in the tech section.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI