My Wildcats upgraded to Corsairs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

Shaggy -> My Wildcats upgraded to Corsairs (9/10/2003 12:56:53 AM)

Its early Aug 1943 in a scenerio Im playing. All my carriers were docked, to get their Wildcats upgraded to Hellcats amoung other reasons. All my Wildcat units had upgraded to Hellcats except VF-2, a 36 plane unit on the Saratoga.

I wanted to send the Saratoga out shortly and I had a 24 plane Hellcat unit (VF-38) which had arrived as reinforcements. I decided that Id rather have Hellcats on Saratoga even if it ment fewer planes, so I transfered VF-2 to a shore base to await upgrade and VF-38 to Saratoga.

2 turns later I noticed that VF-2 was now flying Corsairs. I double checked the UV upgrade path list I have and it lists the Wildcats as upgrading to Hellcats.

At the time I had ony a few Hellcats in the pool but lots of Corsairs, more then enough to cover the 36 planes in VF-2. But Id had enough Corsairs in the pool to cover all my Wildcat units for a while and none had changed to Corsairs until I transfored VF-2 to shore. All my other Wildcat units had been constantly on carriers. So does the upgrade path for Wildcats change depending on their being based of a carrier or on shore?

A second question: are there any penalties for using Corsairs from carriers in '43? The rules say they can fly off of carriers, but I know the USN had some trouble operating Corsairs from carriers when they first came out. As I recall the Corsairs wernt used for combat operations from Carriers until 1944 (after the Brits had worked out the bugs).

sparks -> Fly those birds..... (9/10/2003 3:20:39 AM)

If the BuAir boys say that you can have them, and if they are already in squadron service, stick those birds on the roof and let'em kick it. The Brits were doing it before some of those bureaucrats in the Navy Office finally got the anchors out of their hip pockets and the sand out of their heads. Wonder how much Uncle Roy paid the Air Chief anyway.

jcjordan -> (9/10/2003 4:57:10 AM)

In my experiences the is no penalty in using them, I regularly used them on the CVE's by tranferring a VMF unit to it. As to why it switched not sure unless the program considered it a land based air unit so it followed the path that land based VMF units follow.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI