A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

fatgreta1066 -> A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's (10/30/2021 6:45:48 PM)

As always I'm not sure how well I'll explain this question. I've got a bunch of ASW patrols set up at the start of the Okinawa Bound scenario surrounding my ambphibious invation fleet (circled in red). I've got the RP's for those missions fixed to the Ambphibs, hoping that they will remain in relative place to the amphibs as they sail south east. That is the first picture. I've highlighted in yellow one vessel and the specific mission it is assigned to. I would have assumed that as the amphib groups sailed and the mission area moved with them, the vessels assigned to the mission would stay in the mission area. As you can see in picture 2, that did not happen. I'm curious about why, and is there some way that I can create the missions or order the vessels to stay inside the parameters outlined? Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

[image]local://upfiles/43712/E7E0257FEE35438DB748B95933869B24.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/43712/27B2EFA19FA7405F8098A027922DDDBF.jpg[/image]

Randomizer -> RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's (10/30/2021 7:33:28 PM)

Do your patrol missions have any of the "outside patrol zone" boxes ticked? Checking any of these pretty much guarantee that units assigned will take random walks and leave their stations.

Fixed ASW patrols can be problematic since the orientation of the zone is constant but the direction of the ASW threat will usually vary based on your base course (or Path of Intended Movement - PIM) or the sub threat. In fact there are a number of factors that determine the threat axis for submarines and these, coupled with the nature of the threat, missiles or torpedoes or both, may be used to determine the nature of your defensive formations to defend your high-value units (HVU).

Fixed ref points are great for AAW ships, you place a fixed zone up-threat from the HVU and they will stay there regardless of the PIM.

Convoy Protection Under Multi-Threat Scenario

It's complex and most references are guidelines rather than hard rules but have fun anyway.

-C

cscrutinizer -> RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's (10/30/2021 10:29:40 PM)

Thanks for the attached thesis. Very interesting.

thewood1 -> RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's (10/30/2021 10:36:00 PM)

Also, it would be helpful for anyone trying to help to have the scenario at the point you've configured it. There are so many switches on the units, groups, and missions that is guess only at what could be going on.

fatgreta1066 -> RE: A question about ASW formations and fixed RP's (10/31/2021 12:02:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

Do your patrol missions have any of the "outside patrol zone" boxes ticked? Checking any of these pretty much guarantee that units assigned will take random walks and leave their stations.

Fixed ASW patrols can be problematic since the orientation of the zone is constant but the direction of the ASW threat will usually vary based on your base course (or Path of Intended Movement - PIM) or the sub threat. In fact there are a number of factors that determine the threat axis for submarines and these, coupled with the nature of the threat, missiles or torpedoes or both, may be used to determine the nature of your defensive formations to defend your high-value units (HVU).

Fixed ref points are great for AAW ships, you place a fixed zone up-threat from the HVU and they will stay there regardless of the PIM.

Convoy Protection Under Multi-Threat Scenario

It's complex and most references are guidelines rather than hard rules but have fun anyway.

-C

That could well be it, I'll change those settings and see, thanks for the advice.

Chris

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI