Best 1st through 5th turn decisions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room

LCcmdr -> Best 1st through 5th turn decisions (1/14/2022 1:35:09 PM)

I've got over 100 hours invested in this blasted game. It's fantastic but frustrating--like whack-a-mole! Economy, logistics, morale, demands, and personnel support (that impact production)--added onto by extended build times due to not enough credits, machines, or IP (when you actually thought you had it set). Then my favorite: multiple, random events that tend to unhinge my precarious empire even further.

So, I humbly request some schooling in how to grow into a better player (beyond spending 1,000 hours of learning). Now, I watched or read through numerous guides (stream, here, and Internet). And, I get the varied start decisions based upon need. So, to indicate that I'm not just a flake, of my numerous games, my best has been on a moon where there are only 4 zones. It's tense and I'll probably lose; but not because of my army or failure to anticipate infrastructure: no, it's because the random events either suck out all my credits or offer only negative impact solutions.

My typical load out is militia only, tech 3, and air with a small siwa class planet. And, even on the easiest setting, I drown from leadership rebellion. I can fight the enemy outside well; it's the enemy within that backstabs me. I genuinely don't grasp how to manage or destroy unwanted factions.

My typical start techs are Economy (always first), followed by either models, interior, or occasionally staff. I typically get military soon, leaving applied, foreign, and secret services to last.

My typical infrastructure builds are iron, industry 1, bureaucracy 1, food (sometimes food comes earlier), then water if needed. All too often private business claims my only slot for scavenging or iron or oil, while I'm so IP poor or credit poor to do anything about it.

So, what works well for you?

SamuraiProgrmmr -> RE: Best 1st through 5th turn decisions (1/14/2022 10:53:41 PM)

I use the same settings as you describe to set up my game. I occasionally get brave and pick the 'unclassified' planet and 'drop me in a game right now' settings.

I have been playing for a few months and am getting much better at surviving the early game. Full disclosure, I have not actually won a game yet. I was doing very well in the last game I played but started a new one today as the new beta patch is out.

From a philosophical point of view, the most important thing I have done is to not treat the beginning of the game as a massive land grab. It is very easy to overextend and fall victim to the adage 'He who defends everything, defends nothing'.

My build order (and other thoughts) go something like this (assuming there are ruins nearby - very nearby):

1) Buy 5 machines on the first turn. Two will be used to build a recycling installation. Three will be used to build industry later. I buy them early because the price usually (not always) rises.

2) Expand your territory by two to 4 hexes in all directions if possible. DO NOT ATTACK unless you have to nudge incursions off of a supply path. Defend for now.

3) Build the recycling installation.

4) Answer Decisions based on what makes the leaders the happiest. Later you can refocus your profile to what you want.

5) Try to get Economic Council, Military Research Council, Model Design Council, and Interior Council as soon as possible. Perhaps in the first 10 turns. Certainly in the first 20. You will have to ask your secretary to do that if you want to get them that in 10 turns. Be aggressive at recruiting leaders so you can choose the right person for the job. Having 3 (or more) crappy leaders in reserve is better than having one crappy leader in a directorship. In my opinion, Interior Council and Model Design Council directors are the most important spots to put quality people in. If they are capability III, it doesn't matter as much if they are suited at first, they can learn (and improve) on the job.

6) VERY IMPORTANT - before you build the industry (which may be the first real rung up the ladder to building an economy) make sure you have adequate ammunition (1000+), some independent machine gun units (3-4) just in case one of your neighbors gets frisky, and enough cash to survive for 6 to 8 turns. The industry installation will eat all of your metal or IP every turn and likely take 5 or more turns to finish. It is a real drag to not have the industrial points to add ammunition or a key defensive unit if you need them.

7) Build the industry facility.

8) Guard your city and the recycling facility with the MG units. Be patient.

After this, I start thinking about a metal mine. Alternatively, if there are no ruins, a metal mine may be an absolute necessity.

Also, I don't worry about nationalizing the truck station in the capital until later when I start to expand. It will still be there.

Other things to think about:

On turn 1, I give my capital city governor orders. The main changes are:
1) no bonus for recruits - They still show up without me having to pay a bonus in the early game (and the mid game to my experience).
2) 5 credits to private spending (the one at the top on the left). This will help build your tax base for later.
3) Allow emergency food.

I also do this for every new city and captured city.

Set the Economic Research and Military Research priorities to:
Discovery - 99%
Research - 1%

I do this to ensure that all of the items in the first box (see management, tech) are discovered before I can start discovering other boxes. This is to avoid the embarrassing issue of running out of energy and having not discovered solar panels. It is also important for Automatic Rifles.

I usually change those values to something more balanced (40%/60%) when I have only one more economic tech to be discovered. Sometimes I will do it with 2 to go, but only if I am sorely pressed and need those Automatic rifles NOW!

If your cash flow can survive it, I will build the small multi unit formation of infantry not long after I have 5500 recruits ready. It seems to deter some of the minors from rushing me.

If a nearby minor wants to make friends, by all means do it. As long as you have a direction to expand into, it is good to have a more 'secure' border in another direction.

I hope this helps. It seems to work most games, now that I have learned how not to overextend myself.

Good Luck!

Moat_Man -> RE: Best 1st through 5th turn decisions (1/15/2022 1:00:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrmmr

This a great list and almost exactly what I do to start a game. I am a bit more agressive with my opening expansion. I grab some hex perks if they are close by, but you can't be afraid to retreat to a defensable position until you get that first industry building completed.

LCcmdr -> RE: Best 1st through 5th turn decisions (1/15/2022 1:14:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrmmr

I use the same settings as you describe to set up my game. I occasionally get brave and pick the 'unclassified' planet and 'drop me in a game right now' settings.

I have been playing for a few months and am getting much better at surviving the early game. Full disclosure, I have not actually won a game yet. I was doing very well in the last game I played but started a new one today as the new beta patch is out.

From a philosophical point of view, the most important thing I have done is to not treat the beginning of the game as a massive land grab. It is very easy to overextend and fall victim to the adage 'He who defends everything, defends nothing'.

My build order (and other thoughts) go something like this (assuming there are ruins nearby - very nearby):

1) Buy 5 machines on the first turn. Two will be used to build a recycling installation. Three will be used to build industry later. I buy them early because the price usually (not always) rises.

2) Expand your territory by two to 4 hexes in all directions if possible. DO NOT ATTACK unless you have to nudge incursions off of a supply path. Defend for now.

3) Build the recycling installation.

4) Answer Decisions based on what makes the leaders the happiest. Later you can refocus your profile to what you want.

5) Try to get Economic Council, Military Research Council, Model Design Council, and Interior Council as soon as possible. Perhaps in the first 10 turns. Certainly in the first 20. You will have to ask your secretary to do that if you want to get them that in 10 turns. Be aggressive at recruiting leaders so you can choose the right person for the job. Having 3 (or more) crappy leaders in reserve is better than having one crappy leader in a directorship. In my opinion, Interior Council and Model Design Council directors are the most important spots to put quality people in. If they are capability III, it doesn't matter as much if they are suited at first, they can learn (and improve) on the job.

6) VERY IMPORTANT - before you build the industry (which may be the first real rung up the ladder to building an economy) make sure you have adequate ammunition (1000+), some independent machine gun units (3-4) just in case one of your neighbors gets frisky, and enough cash to survive for 6 to 8 turns. The industry installation will eat all of your metal or IP every turn and likely take 5 or more turns to finish. It is a real drag to not have the industrial points to add ammunition or a key defensive unit if you need them.

7) Build the industry facility.

8) Guard your city and the recycling facility with the MG units. Be patient.

After this, I start thinking about a metal mine. Alternatively, if there are no ruins, a metal mine may be an absolute necessity.

Also, I don't worry about nationalizing the truck station in the capital until later when I start to expand. It will still be there.

Other things to think about:

On turn 1, I give my capital city governor orders. The main changes are:
1) no bonus for recruits - They still show up without me having to pay a bonus in the early game (and the mid game to my experience).
2) 5 credits to private spending (the one at the top on the left). This will help build your tax base for later.
3) Allow emergency food.

I also do this for every new city and captured city.

Set the Economic Research and Military Research priorities to:
Discovery - 99%
Research - 1%

I do this to ensure that all of the items in the first box (see management, tech) are discovered before I can start discovering other boxes. This is to avoid the embarrassing issue of running out of energy and having not discovered solar panels. It is also important for Automatic Rifles.

I usually change those values to something more balanced (40%/60%) when I have only one more economic tech to be discovered. Sometimes I will do it with 2 to go, but only if I am sorely pressed and need those Automatic rifles NOW!

If your cash flow can survive it, I will build the small multi unit formation of infantry not long after I have 5500 recruits ready. It seems to deter some of the minors from rushing me.

If a nearby minor wants to make friends, by all means do it. As long as you have a direction to expand into, it is good to have a more 'secure' border in another direction.

I hope this helps. It seems to work most games, now that I have learned how not to overextend myself.

Good Luck!

Absolutely great feedback!

What you said about energy has ended three recent games in defeat!!

And, is the lack metal mines or oil prevalent in the higher settings (reg, hard, etc.)?

THANK YOU

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI