Monitor Resolution (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Tech Support

Okayrun3254 -> Monitor Resolution (1/22/2022 3:17:27 PM)

I have a 3840x2160 monitor. My problem is the unit panel on the side, and the buttons on the bottom of the screen are so small, its very difficult to read them. I tried running a 200% instead of the recommended 150%, but that did not make a difference. How can I make the side unit panel and bottom buttons larger and readable?

Jason Petho -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/22/2022 3:22:16 PM)

The side unit panel doesn't have size options currently, but you can change the size of the buttons under the OPTIONS - TOOLBAR - LARGE

Okayrun3254 -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/22/2022 4:36:47 PM)

Thanks Jason. That sure helps with the "large" buttons. Hopefully in the future there will be an option for a "Large" unit panel. Playing the first French Paratrooper scenario, what a blast!!

Jason Petho -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/22/2022 5:07:28 PM)

Bahaha... Glad you're having fun! YAY!!

Crossroads -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/22/2022 5:07:52 PM)

Regarding the Unit List sidebar, Desktop Scaling should enlarge it per usual. I recall it is not a 100% certain thing though, I recall having needed to try again.

Did you change scaling prior to launching the game?

theWombat -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/22/2022 8:42:25 PM)

Scaling issues are a legacy thing I'm pretty sure, for many games not just these. War in the East 2 had those issues as well, in spades. It's the result I'm guessing of stringing along an engine that long predates modern video hardware and probably the APIs and other under the hood stuff that we now take for granted. Understandable given the, shall we say, less than petrodollar-level profits from making hard-core wargames, but eventually the worm has to turn. We are already getting new systems built in Unity and other engines that allow for much more dynamic use of modern display technology, and I certainly hope that the next generation of games like this will make that jump as well. It is high time we grit our teeth and finally abandon the poor sods clinging to Win 7 and 1024x768 CRTs....

Okayrun3254 -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 4:22:15 AM)

No, I did not try to adjust the scaling. I remember doing that with War in the East 2 because of the same problem, but it did not do anything. A fix came out for War in the East 2 that made the counters and side panels larger when using large monitors.

Crossroads -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 4:58:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254

No, I did not try to adjust the scaling. I remember doing that with War in the East 2 because of the same problem, but it did not do anything. A fix came out for War in the East 2 that made the counters and side panels larger when using large monitors.

Please give Desktop Scaling a try, rightclick at your desktop to access Display settings, there it is. Try 150% for instance, that should make a world of a difference?

And Wombat, CS Vietnam is a Microsoft Visual Studio app, it is built with the latest Visual Studio verion, patched up to include all fixes Microsoft has offered. As a Visual Studio app, Vietnam is similar to say Microsoft Word in that to have the Menu items appear larger, you need to use Desktop Scaling. Yes, with Word you can zoom up the document there using the zoom bar at lower right bottom, but that only effects the document itself. For the Word itself, to enlargen its menu fonts, Desktop scaling it is.

Let me try to post a screenshot of Vietnam with 150% Desktop scaling on my 3440 * 1440 resolution. Note the menu items, the Unit list sidebar, the Toolbar in the bottom, it is all now larger. Toolbar is at Normal size, at 100% Desktop scaling (ie no scaling), it fits the bottom in one row, here it properly scales to two rows.

[image]local://upfiles/32195/656F88DA0317413086C49ECDA1287B55.jpg[/image]

Crossroads -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 5:01:00 AM)

Compare the above to my default setting with no (100%) Desktop scaling. All Vietnam settings remain the same.

[image]local://upfiles/32195/9B053E3660614F11BAA792A134B57444.jpg[/image]

Grim.Reaper -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 8:54:31 AM)

Edited since no delete available:)

Crossroads -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 9:15:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

All good, Reaper. I am pretty sure this is a Microst MFC app, but I am not the programmer here. Although have used Visual Studio years and years (and then some) ago in much simpler projects [:)]

Grim.Reaper -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 9:39:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

All good, Reaper. I am pretty sure this is a Microst MFC app, but I am not the programmer here. Although have used Visual Studio years and years (and then some) ago in much simpler projects [:)]

Gotcha, yeah removed my comments since didn’t want to derail thread into tech talk:)

Crossroads -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 11:35:23 AM)

No, that’s all right, this is the Tech Support forum, tech talk absolutely allowed. And with that, I think I will just air my little grievances out, let us hear what you guys think?

First, a step back, to 2014(ish), and the 2.x updates for John Tiller’s Campaign Series. What the three game bundle was before 2.00 was really three separate games, different projects, different compiles. They looked and felt the same, they were developed at the same time after all. Rising Sun, the latest addition, yet differed from East Front with certain aspects in the game.

What Berto, our lead programmer did, was to merge those three separate projects into one project, with one base code. Then, with compile flags, we could compile the three different exes for the three games.

For the User Interface, which is the topic here, JTCS 2.00 for the first time, Berto implemented the classic MFC app MDI main window with objects such as Resize, Minimize, Close that you would expect to see there.

(For the game itself – the “front end” where you select scenarios etc, that was a different code base, and not by John Tiller either, but an unknown Talonsoft programmer. That was not touched at the time.)

Underneath From there, the Main dialog then has the Menu sections, and in the document window itself, we have the game interface itself: map, units, and various dialogs that you can activate or pop up by themselves.

This was 2014. We then started to build the Middle East game, using the JTCS 2.x base “World War 2” codebase as a baseline.

(A short note: not a line of TakeTwo’s Divided Ground codebase was used, Middle East is all about us, and Berto in particular).

In 2014 HD resolution was already a mainstay, which worried us in the fact that the tactical feel so integral to Campaign Series started to deteriorate. Just a lot of small hexes in a large display. For Middle East 1.00, we introduced a new 2D Zoom level to alleviate that. What was “JTCS Normal 2D view” became Zoomed-out view, and a new Normal 2D View was introduced.

We then added a completely new zoom level to both 3D and 2D, redesigning the 3D hex layout completely. Much more tactical now, large hexes, units with plenty of space around them.

At the time 4K started to come around, we were really worried in that “will adding new zoom views never end”. But then Microsoft introduced Desktop scaling. Problem solved.

Or was it? Here we are.

I completely agree that it is cumbersome that you have to change the Desktop Scaling perhaps per game. 150 for Campaign Series, 200 for some other, back to default for the third game?

We’ve done our part!

Why has Microsoft not implemented a Properties setting where you set the scaling for that particular app? One for Microsoft Word, the other for Campaign Series? It should be possible, it most certainly is at their desk.

Campaign Series is a standard fully compliant (as far as we know) MFC app. Withing the main MDI window frame, it should be perfecty possible for Microsoft to target scaling / zoom level for that particular frame. Why have they not done it? Are they planning to? I would assume so. Does anyone know?

And it is not only Desktop Scaling. The one quite recent Windows feature we were quite excited about was Font scaling. Since a certain W10 update, it’s been there. So far I haven’t seen it to have any effect, anywhere. It does not change my MS Word, MS Excel, it certainly is having no effect on Campaign Series Vietnam.

This would seem to be a perfect tool to enlarge the font related things only. As we’ve diligently used MFC dialog objects only, then, changing the text scaling here should neatly enlarge the font on our Menu items, or on Dialogs, neatly possible enlarging that said menu object or dialog object as that is under all under Microsoft control.

TL;DR I do agree that what you are asking is very reasonable, and I would like to have that too. Launching an app under certain scaling option should be a simple thing, and most certainly a Windows thing.
All this does not mean that we would not try to alleviate things ourselves, too.

But it certainly feels we’re doing something Microsoft should be doing.

[image]local://upfiles/32195/F501A6169E6049A39F33B386679B74A6.jpg[/image]

Grim.Reaper -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 12:43:45 PM)

Since we are talking tech:) I guess a couple of things. Although I understand the desire to "lean" on the operating system to do the heavy lifting for scaling/resolution, games/software certainly can do it themselves and many of the games released over the last few years have resolution options and scaling (to a lesser degree) within the game settings. They don't rely on the operating system to do it for them. Completely understand that within some development languages it isn't easy to do, but the more modern languages continue to get better at it. Regardless of that, yes I would love to have Windows use some sort of display properties on shortcuts where you could define it program by program. Not necessarily to remove the responsibility of the developers to handle per their game, but more for the older games that are no longer supported and will never have the ability to have scaling/resolution settings. Maybe this series falls in that category, don't know but I understand this is based on older stuff.

As we have talked in other forums, there is "some" software by third parties that can usually do this per program. However, they both don't work with this game unlike them working with all my other older games. When using it with this game, the game screen goes crazy. With your explanation above and what I had already suspected, this game has multiple modules and I suspect that is not being handled well with these third party programs. Probably struggles with knowing which module is active and when/how to switch the resolutions. Not sure. I know you won't be able to change the game to work with these third party tools, but if it did might be an option for people to use for this issue:)

Crossroads -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/23/2022 2:15:13 PM)

To be continued! We're due another cycle of UI upgrades at some stage, let us see how it goes, and how far we get [sm=00000028.gif]

Pewpewchewchew -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/24/2022 6:19:36 AM)

I'd second in-game UI scaling options, on a 1440p 27inch monitor 125% if that matters. Found this post looking for a way to scale up the units sidebar. Windows scaling first is definitely agreeable though introducing some "nudge" factors would be really nice. As pointed out, the windows scaling features are slow-going and quite coarse. For the longest time, windows couldn't scale two monitors independently at that.

I've been trying to play some games like Command Ops & WitW and both titles suffer from poor scaling and that's left a poor taste. I see WitE2 just rolling out scaling fixes a little while back as well.

theWombat -> RE: Monitor Resolution (1/24/2022 6:10:27 PM)

Oh, don't get me wrong--this game works fine with higher resolution monitors, at least in my experience so far. I was referring mostly to other games, though in some ways like modal windows and keypress toggles and what not, there is a ways to go. But as others have said, there are better ways (in theory) to do UI/UX than relying on the OS. Middleware is out there that most game companies use for good reasons.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI