The Noumean Gambit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room

Drex -> The Noumean Gambit (9/16/2003 8:28:03 PM)

I call this move by its target name because I don't kow who did it first. The Noumean Gambit is the move to capture Noumea by traveling from Shortlands or Rabaul down the lane formed by the name"Solomon Sea" then dropping straight down to the "Sea" in Coral Sea, then down further until you are level with Noumea then you have your choice of Noumea or Brisbine. I was able to move 2 divisions and one brigade accompanied by 6 CVs and 5 SCTFs and a replenishment TF without being detected. I was playing an experienced opponent who had already sunk the Shokaku and Shoho and badly damaged the Zuikaku but he neglected to put out scouts from Noumea or Brisbine. I am a conservative player, not very aggressive so my opponent had no idea I would do such a thing. I had built up Woodlark and Roussel Islands to make it look like I was going for PM. I sent recon to Luganville but not to Noumea until toward the end for fear I would alert him. In fact the presence of recon over Noumea did finally alert him - but to late. He had removed all his troops to Luganville and I was able to take Noumea without loss to my troops. I did suffer damage to two BBs and a Ca by air attack. Now I've got him trapped in Luganville while his two CVs are up in Truk on an ill-advised raid. I can't describe the tension of every turn as I crept down that track toward Noumea. I used only cruising speed to keep the TFs together. In fact I had all TFs follow a transport TF. When I finally got within 12 hexes of Noumea, I was spotted but the opponent thought it was just a raid. Scouts reported only combat vessels. Boy was he suprised when he saw transports in his harbor! What a feeling! the best time I've had in this game. People can whine all they want about this game, but there is always something new to try if you are willing to take the chance.

Curval -> (9/16/2003 9:16:05 PM)

Sweeeeeeeet move man.

I tried this in a game with Swoop but I was inexperienced and the attack was far too haphazard.

It scared him, but he was ultimately able to defend the base and I was forced to retreat.

I think your opponent may receive air reinforcements bound for Noumea in Brisbane though..but I could be wrong.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI