Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

cathar1244 -> Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/2/2022 10:08:02 AM)

I'm curious as to how Askey's assessment of anti-air and defense factor values for aircraft compare to the values in the TOAW database.

As in, do they match, or are they close, or do his calcs produce an entirely different set of values?

I've seen the formulae he expounds for AA and DF of aircraft. But they require information that I don't have. One bit needed for the calculations is purely judgmental, in any case. The other, regarding time to turn 360 degrees, may be difficult to find.

If anyone has the "Askey approved" AA and DF values for, say, a BF-109 model and/or a Yak-3, I would appreciate knowing what they are rated as.

Cheers

Lobster -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/2/2022 9:04:31 PM)

The books cover Barbarossa. Yak-3 first flight was February 1943.

Lobster -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/2/2022 9:12:32 PM)

Book says turn time for 109F-2 is 15.5 seconds.

cathar1244 -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/3/2022 6:21:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Book says turn time for 109F-2 is 15.5 seconds.

Lobster,

Thanks for that. Does it give a calculated anti-air and defense factor value for the F-2 as a piece of equipment?

Cheers

Lobster -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/3/2022 7:18:03 PM)

Only very slightly different from the generic IV dbase if I recall. Anti-air 9 and defense 11.

SpicyJuan -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/3/2022 9:08:57 PM)

quote:

Only very slightly different from the generic IV dbase if I recall. Anti-air 9 and defense 11.

Lobster, is Askey's Barbarossa scenario still in development?

Lobster -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/3/2022 10:23:14 PM)

Doing the document and events. Also the books lumped the Soviet flame thrower tanks in with the other tanks. I have to separate them out as best I can since they didn't have the same armament.

cathar1244 -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/4/2022 4:18:51 AM)

quote:

Thanks again.

I'm curious as to how those values were derived in TOAW.

N. Askey's method borrows a lot from Dupuy's published model.

My own way of deriving AA and DF for aircraft comes out very close to TOAW values, but like Askey's method, requires a fair amount of calculation.

And that is what I wonder about. Every time I've figured out how something was calculated in the game's database, the calcs have been straightforward (but not always obvious). Given the amount of aircraft equipment in TOAW, I have my doubts if the calcs that produced their values were as involved as the method I came up with.

Interesting that Mr. Askey was able to come close to game values using a variation of Dupuy's model.

Cheers

Lobster -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/4/2022 3:08:47 PM)

I typically prefer your database from long ago. It's ten or more years old now if I recall.

cathar1244 -> RE: Question for anyone with Nigel Askey's works (2/5/2022 1:05:48 PM)

quote:

I typically prefer your database from long ago. It's ten or more years old now if I recall.

You mean the old War War II one I did with equipment organized by countries?

I've thought about looking at it again as I have figured out more of how the values were determined. Don't really want to distract from JosAnt's effort, though.

The aircraft equipment bits I found that seemed 'off' in the standard database were pre-1940 and Soviet postwar aircraft. Not sure what's up with the Soviet aircraft ratings, but they seem lower than they should be. The pre-1940 aircraft suffer from "value compression", by which I mean there is not much room to vary the ratings and distinguish their performance. That issue is a consequence of the pre-1940 aircraft having been added in (I think, COW) when the lower values had already been given in TOAW I for aircraft from the 1930s.

Of course, all that could be re-looked, but something like that should be an "official" effort submitted to playtesting etc. because it would affect a lot of different equipment items in the database.

Cheers

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI