Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> Scenario Design and Modding

Umbra_TSSI -> Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 5:32:01 AM)

I've been asking about modding terrain and outlines because I've been working on a boardgame "vibe" mod, Crossroads inspired me with his "Boardgame Look&Feel" mod.

These are a couple pics on my progress to give you all an impression of it's direction.

[image]local://upfiles/80387/A9B0C23D34774BE8AAD58639C2300799.jpg[/image]

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 6:20:57 AM)

You are putting the hex outlines to ambient terrain hexes themselves (Normal, Mud, ...)? Looks neat, go for it!

Jason Petho -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 6:44:48 AM)

That's looking great!!

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 6:54:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

You are putting the hex outlines to ambient terrain hexes themselves (Normal, Mud, ...)? Looks neat, go for it!

Yes, though I'm not sure what will happen if I swap all Mud terrain graphics to Normal terrain graphics? I've completed all 5 levels of 2D zoom of the ambient Normal terrain to my "boardgame" terrain, so it would be convenient to swap those to Mud terrain... I'm not sure what the consequences would be though.

Do you have any advice?

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 7:06:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

That's looking great!!

Thanks, Jason... I appreciate that.

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 7:27:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Umbra_TSSI

quote:

Yes, though I'm not sure what will happen if I swap all Mud terrain graphics to Normal terrain graphics? I've completed all 5 levels of 2D zoom of the ambient Normal terrain to my "boardgame" terrain, so it would be convenient to swap those to Mud terrain... I'm not sure what the consequences would be though.

Do you have any advice?

Ground Conditions is a parameter that is set in a Scenario Editor for a new scenario. In other words, while maps themselves are generic in this aspect, the battle itself might take place under different conditions, from snow to mud to normal summer conditions.

Here's a Dev Diary I wrote a while ago discussing this: Terrain and Ground Conditions (redirects to cslegion.com).

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 7:29:14 AM)

^^ For instance, if your mod does not include Mud files, the game resorts to stock files provided. I believe for my quick Middle East Boardgame mod I simply copied my Normal files to Mud* etc. for this reason.

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 7:44:12 AM)

quote:

^^ For instance, if your mod does not include Mud files, the game resorts to stock files provided. I believe for my quick Middle East Boardgame mod I simply copied my Normal files to Mud* etc. for this reason.

Okay, thanks. I'll read through your link.

I actually tried to hunt down your mod to analyze it, but it looks like the only way to get it is by having it included in the CSME game as a mod.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 7:58:25 AM)

Here's a link to "Normal" files included. For Vietnam, you'll need to cover the versions for all ground conditions, with SEAsia* prefix. SEAsiaNormal* , SEAsiaSoft*, SEAsiaMud*.

• Middle East 2D Boardgame mod Normal files.

• Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 8:21:24 AM)

Thanks so much, Crossroads.

Big Ivan -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/7/2022 12:27:27 PM)

quote:

That's looking great!!

+1 Umbra_TSSI that work is looking real nice!![;)]

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/9/2022 4:55:25 AM)

I was thinking about whether I should create an addon mod that would be the hex outlines portion of the the current full mod so as to allow players to decide if they want to add it to the base "Boardgame Vibe" mod.

Is there a reason not to, like people don't really like that or that's not what's best from the Dev's perspective.?

I included a pane of two pics identical in position to each other on the same map. The upper pic shows how having hex outlines with opacity on the ambient terrain allows the outline to match up with that terrain. This also allows the outline to indicate elevation because it matches the elevation color of that hex.

Also, the default hex grid gets lost as the map elevations change. I've noticed though, the majority of the maps are in the lower elevations.

Anyway, just some thoughts I've been having.

[image]local://upfiles/80387/E294184015F14C31AD7547CCEDE9035A.jpg[/image]

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/9/2022 6:31:09 AM)

^Go for it, more the merrier! [:)]

berto -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/9/2022 11:17:40 AM)

quote:

I included a pane of two pics identical in position to each other on the same map. The upper pic shows how having hex outlines with opacity on the ambient terrain allows the outline to match up with that terrain. This also allows the outline to indicate elevation because it matches the elevation color of that hex.

Matching the hex outline color/brightness with the elevation is an interesting idea, something we might even want to implement in the game engine. As an option, of course.

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/12/2022 4:13:01 AM)

Hey, everyone.

So far I've modified the ambient terrain with hex outlines, paths, roads, and villages. And now I'm putting the finishing touches on marsh, swamp, flooded rice patties, and fordable streams (see pic).

I've noticed that another benefit to the hex outline on the ambient terrain is that the streams on hex lines become more apparent, especially when the default hex grid is turned off.

I think it's time to finalize this mod before I find another shiny object I want to play with. :)

[image]local://upfiles/80387/899939F60F054505A2986829930D24EC.jpg[/image]

Jason Petho -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/12/2022 5:07:12 AM)

Looking great!

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/12/2022 7:20:07 AM)

+1 [:)]

Big Ivan -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/12/2022 1:46:50 PM)

++1[;)]

theWombat -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/12/2022 7:06:58 PM)

Very nice!

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/13/2022 3:35:01 AM)

quote:

Here's a link to "Normal" files included. For Vietnam, you'll need to cover the versions for all ground conditions, with SEAsia* prefix. SEAsiaNormal* , SEAsiaSoft*, SEAsiaMud*.

• Middle East 2D Boardgame mod Normal files.

• Hi, Crossroads... I've completed all of the graphics for this mod and I think I've figured out what files need to be named what but wanted to make sure about the terrain files.

So if my terrain files have the prefix "SEAsia", I don't need to include non-prefix "Normal" terrain files?

Thanks.

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/13/2022 4:24:39 AM)

^Yes, this is correct. SEAsia files override non-prefix files for all maps set in Southeast Asia.

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/13/2022 4:33:20 AM)

Since I've completed the graphics and zoom levels for this mod, thought I'd show you all a mid level zoom. :)

[image]local://upfiles/80387/9505B3CC908B4A06821F334C4284B63F.jpg[/image]

Jason Petho -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/13/2022 4:34:00 AM)

That's great!!

Looks like Kien Long!

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/13/2022 4:41:24 AM)

quote:

^Yes, this is correct. SEAsia files override non-prefix files for all maps set in Southeast Asia.

Thank you so much, Crossroads. You've really helped me out!

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/13/2022 4:42:50 AM)

quote:

That's great!!

Looks like Kien Long!

Yes it is!!

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/17/2022 5:58:45 AM)

Looks as though I've completed all the necessary files for this mod, I just need to playtest it a bit.

Along the way I couldn't help myself and had to mod the shallow water textures (see pic) from the original rust color since that same color was no longer there for marsh, swamp, stream, and flooded rice patties. :)

[image]local://upfiles/80387/B6EC644094C743D699EAA63B4BE3B46B.jpg[/image]

Crossroads -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/17/2022 7:56:27 AM)

quote:

Looks as though I've completed all the necessary files for this mod, I just need to playtest it a bit.

Along the way I couldn't help myself and had to mod the shallow water textures (see pic) from the original rust color since that same color was no longer there for marsh, swamp, stream, and flooded rice patties. :)

Are you sure you did not have the 2D Blue Water Mod activated? Water color is consistent on all tiles having water on them, whether with stock green/brown colors for 2D, or the two blue hues via the mod.

We are targeting this weekend for the 1.1 UPDATE hand-off to Matrix, if you are ready by then I would be more than happy to include this as one of the community mods available to everyone via the update.

Umbra_TSSI -> RE: Working on a "Boardgame Vibe" mod (2/17/2022 4:01:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

Are you sure you did not have the 2D Blue Water Mod activated? Water color is consistent on all tiles having water on them, whether with stock green/brown colors for 2D, or the two blue hues via the mod.

The reason the "rust" colored water terrains are gone is because I swapped them out for a sage color (marsh, swamp, flooded rice paddies, stream, and fordable river sections).

Thanks for the heads up on the update... if it looks like a go on this end, I'll post a link. :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI