Recon by bombers? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

WEXF -> Recon by bombers? (2/17/2022 7:20:28 PM)

If a full bomber squadron divides into three sections can each section fly a "recon" mission to a separate target hex that same day?
The manual says:
"Recon – The unit will send one plane to perform photoreconnaissance
of an enemy base."
Does the "unit" refer to the original undivided squadron or the divided ones?
I am only talking about sending the three sections to different targets.
WEXF

BBfanboy -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/17/2022 7:29:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WEXF

If a full bomber squadron divides into three sections can each section fly a "recon" mission to a separate target hex that same day?
The manual says:
of an enemy base."
Does the "unit" refer to the original undivided squadron or the divided ones?
I am only talking about sending the three sections to different targets.
WEXF

Yes. Splitting big recon units to recon multiple targets is common practice.

WEXF -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/17/2022 7:37:13 PM)

Thanks for the response.
Just to be clear-I am talking about splitting up a "bomber" squadron not a "recon" unit.
WEXF

btd64 -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/17/2022 7:40:41 PM)

Same thing....GP

dr.hal -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/17/2022 8:21:21 PM)

In fact if you divide a unit (bomber, search or recon) and recon the SAME hex with each section, you get three bites at the apple to ensure that you get some information. Remember successful recon is a factor of the pilot's recon skills AND a dice roll (plus I assume other mitigating factors such as weather in the target hex!).

Lowpe -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/17/2022 11:57:58 PM)

Not a fan in splitting bomber units into thirds for recon, unless it is a large bomber squadron.

A unit on recon, will attempt to launch 4 planes each phase. In smaller squadrons that can mean lots of flights with wear and tear and fatigue increasing op losses greatly or in potentially no flight.

BB mentions it above...split bigger squadrons.

WEXF -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 12:44:09 AM)

Now I am a bit confused. The manual says:
of an enemy base, ground unit or TF. (Large recon air groups may fly
2 planes per Recon Mission flown.)"
Was this changed?
According to the manual no more than 2 planes would be sent on the recon mission and if the group is not large only 1 plane. How many planes need to be in a "large recon air group" for it to be considered large?
For example: I have a squadron of 12 Lysander bombers that are split into 3 groups of 4 bombers each. If they are all set to fly different recon missions, I would think only 1 plane from each of the 3 groups would go on the mission (assuming nothing else interferes with them).
WEXF

Nomad -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 12:53:18 AM)

quote:

Now I am a bit confused. The manual says:
of an enemy base, ground unit or TF. (Large recon air groups may fly
2 planes per Recon Mission flown.)"
Was this changed?
According to the manual no more than 2 planes would be sent on the recon mission and if the group is not large only 1 plane. How many planes need to be in a "large recon air group" for it to be considered large?
For example: I have a squadron of 12 Lysander bombers that are split into 3 groups of 4 bombers each. If they are all set to fly different recon missions, I would think only 1 plane from each of the 3 groups would go on the mission (assuming nothing else interferes with them).
WEXF

Keep in mind that they do fly both morning and afternoon sorties, weather permitting.

WEXF -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 12:57:49 AM)

Understood-but that is a max of 1 plane per phase not 4 as suggested above.
WEXF

Lowpe -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 1:12:36 AM)

Go with what you read....4 per day...my bad.

geofflambert -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 2:00:48 AM)

Keep in mind that if you leave the target to commander discretion you'll get recon on a lot more sites and possibly spot things you weren't even looking for. Also, unless we're talking British air units I wouldn't worry my little head about wear and tear. Wear 'em and tear 'em.

WEXF -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 1:28:48 PM)

Thanks to all for the help.
WEXF

Moltrey -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 7:01:34 PM)

Another thread was talk about splitting larger bombing squadrons up in order to rotate them in and out of combat and thus give their low repair rating (in some cases) a better chance to repair vs. the all-in-one strategy.
How does this fit into the conversation you are having here? I haven't gotten to larger formations of bombing groups yet to play with them.
Curious if the split group multi-recon and repair rotation concept is something to consider vs. keeping the groups combined.

Tanaka -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/18/2022 8:17:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Keep in mind that if you leave the target to commander discretion you'll get recon on a lot more sites and possibly spot things you weren't even looking for. Also, unless we're talking British air units I wouldn't worry my little head about wear and tear. Wear 'em and tear 'em.

Interesting. So leaving to commander discretion will cover multiple sites without having to split up the unit? Makes sense for the AI. Damn good to know but kind of cheesy guess I gotta change to this...

WEXF -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/21/2022 6:12:22 PM)

Just to update things, I did a test by dividing a squadron of Lysander bombers into 3 groups.
I set one to rest.
The other two were set to "recon" different targets.
As the turn played out I compared the number of missions flown by each of the pilots and in each sub group set to recon only one pilot flew a mission. It turned out that one plane required 1 day of maintenance after the mission in one of the two recon groups.
I also noticed that the plane that needed the maintenance was flown by a pilot that only had 1 mission under his belt. The other recon group mission was flown by a pilot with a dozen previous missions.
WEXF

BBfanboy -> RE: Recon by bombers? (2/21/2022 7:31:38 PM)

quote:

Just to update things, I did a test by dividing a squadron of Lysander bombers into 3 groups.
I set one to rest.
The other two were set to "recon" different targets.
As the turn played out I compared the number of missions flown by each of the pilots and in each sub group set to recon only one pilot flew a mission. It turned out that one plane required 1 day of maintenance after the mission in one of the two recon groups.
I also noticed that the plane that needed the maintenance was flown by a pilot that only had 1 mission under his belt. The other recon group mission was flown by a pilot with a dozen previous missions.
WEXF

There does seem to be a link between pilot Experience and damage/wear-and-tear on aircraft. Very experienced squadrons have a lower fatigue/repair rate for aircraft.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI