Finland MOD (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Scenario Design and Modding

DarenMoss -> Finland MOD (2/18/2022 11:25:32 PM)

This is my Finland MOD. It adds the Finland and Northern Theatre regions to the map for Head-to-Head games. It also adds a series of new events based on the Finns limited war aims and the German plans for Operation Silver Fox (and its subordinates). Similarly I have added Murmansk and Kandalaska as VP Cities. I have also added a few other VP Cities (1VP each) for the key objectives to reflect the fact you no longer get the VP and AP Theatre box adjustments. I have made a few other minor changes e.g. Added 3 Finnish AOGs to help control the Finnish Airforce - the Finns actually organised through 5 Regts, so I added 3.

The MOD is fully working on 1.02.19 Public Beta and the latest 1.02.20 Public Beta.

There are a few limitations that I am already aware of as follows:

1. As there doesn't appear to be any way to directly adjust Lend-Lease, I have had to approximate the impact on the Northern Lend-Lease from capturing Murmansk or cutting the Murmansk-Leningrad railway as follows: Capturing Murmansk causes all Lend-Lease North factories to take a 1 time 100% damage, Cutting the rail line at Kandalaska causes 50% damage and cutting it below that causes 25% damage. The events explain my reasoning. The events are linked, so capturing Murmansk deactivates the others etc.

2. I couldn't get Rail Repair units for the Finns to work - so I have added 3 German R.A.G. detachments and attached them to the Finnish Army HQs. This gives a very slow railway repair capability and will work for now.

3. There is a bug in that capturing Kandalaska seems to automatically capture Murmansk and turns the Murmansk region to Axis control. However, this happens before I add any additional events and seems to be hardcoded, so I will raise a bug report.

4. The fact the editor feature to update the map is currently disabled means that I whilst I can add features in the scenario editor, they don't appear in an actual game. e.g. Added the towns such as Salla, Litsa and Titovka that were key battlegrounds during Op Silver Fox. Similarly the map is missing some key roads and railways which I will add to my bug report.

There are 2 versions of the MOD included as follows:

V1 - Only includes the Axis units. This allows you to start a Head-to-Head game yourself to test the MOD events and take a scenic tour of Finland and the Northern Theatre without any pesky defenders getting in the way.

V2 - Adds the Soviet units and is a complete update to the Grand Campaign that adds the Finnish and Northern theatres to the map. I resisted the urge to tinker elsewhere so the only changes are to these theatres.

So, pse enjoy the MOD and let me have your feedback.

How to Access the MOD:

You can access the mod by downloading the zipped file, unzipping it and copying the scen and events files to your own Scen and Events folders. The events folder is required because I added some additional photos to my events from Sa-Kuva, the Finnish war archive and have referenced them as required.

Alternatively, you can download them from the following drop box, but as I don't have the professional version, you will have to follow the link and then request access - I will respond to give you access asap:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lsfsbdug28dzg6a/AADNqLJFQsppfgLNCJEEToOia?dl=0

Hardradi -> RE: Finland MOD (2/19/2022 4:09:22 AM)

Congrats looking good.

The nearest railhead for the Mountain Corps up near Kirkenes is 22 hexes away. How do they cope with supply?

Also, do you not need two NSS in Finland because you a NSS has to be connected by rail to another NSS to be an NSS (AFAIK)?

DarenMoss -> RE: Finland MOD (2/19/2022 1:15:28 PM)

Supply for the Mtn Corps is an interesting issue. The Germans anticipated this and built up 12 months supplies before the war began. Not sure how I can simulate this as units seem to give back excess supplies - but I will see how it plays out and try and adjust starting supplies etc. Historically the German's did ship supplies round from Norway but I can't see how to add ships / export port to Norway at present. They also came under heavy attack from the RN and Soviet Navy which is a separate game in itself. [;)]

[&o]Thanks for the tip on the 2nd NSS - I'd missed/forgotten that and will look to add a 2nd NSS to Finland.

FriedrichII -> RE: Finland MOD (2/19/2022 8:47:42 PM)

Very interesting!

DarenMoss -> RE: Finland MOD (2/20/2022 4:33:56 PM)

Now Updated to include Soviet units.

The MOD has 2 versions as follows:
V1. Axis units only, so you can drive around Finland, N Russia triggering the New events.
V2. Complete Barbarossa Campaign that adds Finland & Northern Russia to the map, complete with a full OOB for these theatres. Pse note, I have left the remainder of the theatres untouched so they are as per the original campaigns.

Pse note: As per my original post, this mod is only intended for Head-to-Head play. The AI really doesn't handle these theatres well yet.

Nikel -> RE: Finland MOD (2/20/2022 4:44:25 PM)

Thanks!

However in v2 version the starting player is the soviet.

DarenMoss -> RE: Finland MOD (2/20/2022 4:51:45 PM)

Ooops. Should be fixed now. Thanks.

mroyer -> RE: Finland MOD (2/20/2022 9:15:04 PM)

Looks awesome! Thanks for this.
I just downloaded again - 5:05pm and it's still starting v2 mod with a Soviet turn.

-Mark R.

DarenMoss -> RE: Finland MOD (2/21/2022 11:01:29 PM)

Is this working for you now? Maybe a delay in swapping the file on the server, but seems to be downloading the correct file now.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI