Colonisation question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2

devoncop -> Colonisation question (2/22/2022 7:48:17 PM)

For the veterans out there...:-)

I never played DW1 but am trying to get clued up on the mechanics of DW2 which looks amazing and have been watching numerous streams.

In the latest Stream on You Tube by Realm Builder Guy he is unable to colonise Kilanun 3 in the same system as his homeworld despite it having a 43% suitablity and instead was forced to attempt a colonisation on a neighbouring system. Regardless of the strategic merits or otherwise of colonising within the same system as your homeworld is there an actual bar on doing so as otherwise I can see no reason why the option was not available to him ?

Many thanks for any help on this

Ian

zgrssd -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 7:50:54 PM)

This is one of the rarer mechanics that did change a lot in DW2.
I too would thinkg that with 43% suitability you should be able to colonize a planet easily.

My best idea on the spot:
He has multiple species, only one of which has 43% on that planet.
Another species with poor habitability was already loaded into the colonyship
He never tried colonizing by selecting the planet and just asking for a colonyship to be build.

If you could show us the stream with a timestamp that would help a lot.

zgrssd -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 7:52:51 PM)

I am guessing this is the video, watching it now.
https://youtu.be/DaSw-AnQB4s

devoncop -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 7:52:55 PM)

Yes I was thinking your point 3 may be the issue and it may be he got distracted by the 0% suitability it was showing on the planet re research bonuses ?

The antagonism between the Mortalens and the Ackdarians was certainly an issue I would have thought with his failure to succeed with his alternative colonisation attempt at the end of the episode :-)

devoncop -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 7:59:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I am guessing this is the video, watching it now.
https://youtu.be/DaSw-AnQB4s

Cheers. Will be interested to see what you think.

zgrssd -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 8:16:58 PM)

I found it at 18:00
And you missunderstood.

Suitability is what decides if you can colonize it. And that Rating was 0. The suitabiliy tresholds for Mortalan on Ocean Planets is propably pretty high.

Quality "only" decides on max population. There is some basic formula like "Size x Quality = Real Population Capacity.

devoncop -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 8:21:31 PM)

Thats really helpful. Many thanks...

I will get there :-)

zgrssd -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 8:26:10 PM)

So as I said before:
Suitability decides on if you can colonize it. DW1 used a binary switch here.
Each Colonizer could Colonize Specific Colonisation tech Unlocked + Colonist Species Native Colonytype.

Quality seems to be the same as DW1. Quality * Size = Maximum Population

Development should also work similar. Development * Population * corruption = the maximum possible taxable income.

devoncop -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 8:27:58 PM)

Yes , that makes sense.

Cheers

Jorgen_CAB -> RE: Colonisation question (2/22/2022 11:10:39 PM)

I'm pretty sure that Quality is also calculated into the Suitability score of all planets as well... I think but are not sure that the base suitability of a planet is the planets quality -50 then you add whatever suitability the race has for that planet type. This is why some races have a very high suitability score on some planets as those planets usually have a rather poor quality. Races who like to live on planets that generally have high quality don't get much bonuses. This is also why few species have penalties to worlds such as Volcanic worlds as these worlds already have such poor quality.

In general you want a total suitability of 20 as this is where your cost for supporting the planet starts to drop significantly, but you can colonise anything at zero or above (I think). The higher the suitability the lower the support cost. This means that you need at least quality of 70% in order to gain a suitability of 20 on a world without any bonuses to suitability, but you can colonise them already at a Quality of 50%.

Someone who knows the exact formula might step in a tell me, but I saw it explained in one of the Streams, don't remember where.

devoncop -> RE: Colonisation question (2/23/2022 5:20:47 AM)

Thanks Jorgen...sounds like I will need to RTFM on that mechanic when we get to see it :-)

DasTactic -> RE: Colonisation question (2/23/2022 2:15:09 PM)

Looking at that spot on the video, Realm Builder Guy is definitely confusing Planet Quality with Suitability. By default, factions have a 50% colonisation threshold for most planets. He is playing as the Mortalens so have a lower threshold for different desert planets. Then, on top of that factions can apply colonisation modifiers to boost them along and again, Mortalens have desert bonuses.

Each planet type has a range of quality it can be formed with so Continental Planets, for example, tend to have high quality while Volcanic Worlds tend to have low quality.

Suitability = (Planet Quality - Colonization Threshold (default 50%)) + Colonization Modifiers

So the Ocean planet he is looking at, at 45% quality, is actually a -5% suitability - and so you don't even have the option of colonizing. Planets aren't worth colonizing unless they are above 20% suitability (70% Planet Quality without modifiers).

Personally, I hope this mechanic gets changed in the future to make it more intuitive.

Galaxy227 -> RE: Colonisation question (2/23/2022 2:45:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DasTactic

Personally, I hope this mechanic gets changed in the future to make it more intuitive.

The simplest solution would be to simply color quality as green when suitability is positive, but red when negative. Better yet, just make the value of suitability visible to the player.

devoncop -> RE: Colonisation question (2/23/2022 2:59:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DasTactic

Thanks Das.

A definite +1 from me(and probably realm Builder Guy[:)] )on that suggestion.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI