Thoughts and question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Vathailos -> Thoughts and question (9/30/2003 10:15:00 PM)

With the KV-1S, I’m glad you posted this, because for whatever reason, I was thinking it had a 45mm main gun. It still has a low “fire control” and “range finder” score, so I’m guessing the accuracy suffers. It runs 108 vs. the T-34/85’s cost of 97 and speed of 33. Have to agree that the T-34/85’s a great bang for the buck. My favorite is the OT-85 though (or that super-armored KV-1 Flame you can get earlier). It costs a little more, but that flamer’s great for infantry, AFVs, or to use as a “Z-fired” smoke screen since there’s no smoke loadout for the SO tanks :(.

If I ever overcome my fear of turretless AT vehicles (thanks Viking, 6 JagedPanthers in one turn! :p), I’d have a hefty compliment of SU-100s. With great speed and a penetration (almost capible of piercing KT’s front turret with a 194 penetration rating!), that’s my favorite AT-sniper. It’s accuracy isn’t great. It has an excellent range finder and fire control, and can make up for no MGs by carrying 12 infantry.

Now, off the Soviet soap box… My question to you is this:

Do you typically purchase “Guards” tank platoons or SS tank platoons with the more skilled crews? Tough choice. Makes for fewer units, which can be disasterous. But what balances this out is the fact that they typically hit what they’re shooting for, the first time. In my current game with RB (which I’ll send over lunch as soon as I plot my arty ;) ), I rolled a Panther G with an SS crew roll up over a hill and still fire with a 90% IIRC accuracy at a US tank, destroying it. In snow or heavy rains, with reduced movement, higher accuracy (read:quicker hits) increases survivability, because you can shoot and scoot back behind cover.

One other question, in the same vein. Does the quality of the crew add to their “assault resistance”?

Reason I ask is that in another BLOODY game with Frank W., he assaulted some of my elite Panthers 7 and 8 times in succession with decent chances for success, and failed completely. Often. I think it probably drove Frank nuts. I’ve never seen tanks harder to kill. Does crew quality make them even tougher?

Arrrggggggggg….

Meant to be a reply. Response to Marc Tucan’s thought on favorite Soviet Heavy Tanks.

serg3d -> KV (10/1/2003 1:13:25 AM)

About KV again - what do you think about KV-2 ? it great vs infantry too, but can kill medium armor also (or suppress). No need for accuracy at all - 152mm shell have splash damage at least one hex around. Drawbacks - very slow and prone to breakdowns, and not good for close support - would suppress your own infantry in adjuscent hexes..

Marek Tucan -> (10/1/2003 3:17:02 PM)

[QUOTE=Vathailos]...
Now, off the Soviet soap box… My question to you is this:

Do you typically purchase “Guards” tank platoons or SS tank platoons with the more skilled crews? Tough choice. Makes for fewer units, which can be disasterous. But what balances this out is the fact that they typically hit what they’re shooting for, the first time. In my current game with RB (which I’ll send over lunch as soon as I plot my arty ;) ), I rolled a Panther G with an SS crew roll up over a hill and still fire with a 90% IIRC accuracy at a US tank, destroying it. In snow or heavy rains, with reduced movement, higher accuracy (read:quicker hits) increases survivability, because you can shoot and scoot back behind cover.

One other question, in the same vein. Does the quality of the crew add to their “assault resistance”?

Reason I ask is that in another BLOODY game with Frank W., he assaulted some of my elite Panthers 7 and 8 times in succession with decent chances for success, and failed completely. Often. I think it probably drove Frank nuts. I’ve never seen tanks harder to kill. Does crew quality make them even tougher?

Arrrggggggggg….

Meant to be a reply. Response to Marc Tucan’s thought on favorite Soviet Heavy Tanks.[/QUOTE]

Ad 1) I usually buy standard units, unless I think I'll really need the qualities of the elites. I think that quantity has its quality on its own (OK, I know that it carries also higher loses:)) and I usually count on inability of my crews to his anything more than 5 hexes away:) I really tend to engage enemy in a tank melee where the heavy tanks supress enemy from the distance and medium tanks rush into their lines to get close side shots (works for Soviets quite well). In campaigns I always buy normal units and I keep them improving (I often re-assign vehicles so I get elite platoons)... I bought Guards lately in the PBEM to make a nasty surprise for my opponent, he still sends me commentaries that I have only T-34s in his KT unit's flank...

Ahem... So I'm not the only one to fear the usage of turretless vehicles in a combat:) With the only exception - the ISU rulez :cool:

Ad 2) I think so, but haven't tested it intentionally. However, my friend's Rangers have tried to assault T-34/85 and failed:D

EDIT: I have forgotten... Yes, the accuracy of the KV-41S suffers to poor optics, but it is still better than the T-34/76 and because the KV-1 has got more crewmen, it is able to fire more shots per turn, thus increasing the probability of hit, I think.

Frank W. -> (10/19/2003 4:33:38 AM)

[QUOTE=Vathailos]
.[/QUOTE]

i believe it´s a feature of H2H !

i noticed that in H2H it´s generally
harder to kill tanks w/ inf. assaults !

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI