Mines (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

Mike_B20 -> Mines (10/1/2003 3:54:43 PM)

If a hex is 30 miles across, ie approximately 900 square miles, isn't the incidence of hitting mines [B]W A Y[/B] too high in UV?

Maybe the mine delivery systems and capacities in UV are accurate but mine warfare seems to totally dominate play.
Nothing I've read about the South Pacific suggests mines were the constant bugbear experienced in UV.
Was the supply of mines available to both sides really a bottomless bag?

Something just aint right.

RevRick -> Depends on the size of the channel.. (10/1/2003 6:29:27 PM)

In a lot of those 30 mile hexes, the channel will, in all probability, be considerably smaller. Indispensable Strait was a narrow channel compared with the actual width of the water between Guadalcanal and Malaita IIRC, and the waters around Shortlands, Gili Gili, Finschafen, Rabaul, and Truk were filled with small reefs, rocks, and shoals, which cannot be duplicated in a game of this scale, but will wreck the bottom of a ship. All of which means that the minefield need not stretch for 30 miles, but could be concentrated in a two or three mile channel. And even if it is fairly wide, just the possibility of hitting a mine will make most captains at least slow down, if not turn back.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI