Can anyone help?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers

Squigbaby -> Can anyone help?? (10/5/2003 7:06:51 AM)

I have a number of Windows 95 games, such as Panzer General, Steel Panthers, Age of Rifles etc that use the setsound program to provide digital sound. Unfortunately, since I bought the games I have upgraded my system and no longer have a Soundblaster card, as my Windows 98 uses Direct Sound driver SiS sndmid.vxd.

Is there a patch or download that I can use to run the sound on these games? At present the program searches for hardware that doesn't exist.

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated as I would like to play these again with some of the new scenarios out from the Wargamer.

john g -> (10/6/2003 1:04:29 PM)

[QUOTE=Squigbaby]I have a number of Windows 95 games, such as Panzer General, Steel Panthers, Age of Rifles etc that use the setsound program to provide digital sound. Unfortunately, since I bought the games I have upgraded my system and no longer have a Soundblaster card, as my Windows 98 uses Direct Sound driver SiS sndmid.vxd.

Is there a patch or download that I can use to run the sound on these games? At present the program searches for hardware that doesn't exist.

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated as I would like to play these again with some of the new scenarios out from the Wargamer.[/QUOTE]

Almost all sound cards will have a soundblaster compatibility mode, which you can fake in by setting a blaster environment variable.

In my autoexec.bat file this is taken care of by using the following lines:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS

I can then use my rockwell riptide as a soundblaster even though it isn't anything like a real soundblaster (of which I have a sb16 and a sb16 scsi). My toshiba laptop also uses a different sound system and it is faked into thinking that it is a soundblaster as well. Sometimes you are lucky and it thinks that it is a SB pro or 16 and you get stereo, sometimes it thinks that it is a sb and you don't, it just depends on what sort of compatability mode they designed in.

It would be nice if someone could update the miles sound system to include modern sound cards, but for now you just have to adapt your hardware to the software and not the other way around.
thanks, John.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI